disp mode light out
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, disp mode light out in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have my dash pad out and see it is a good time to fix this light out that has ...
    accuab is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Seville SLS

disp mode light out

I have my dash pad out and see it is a good time to fix this light out that has been bothering me. Does anyone know if this is an led or a "grain of rice" bulb in the disp mode button. And should I just go ahead and redo all 6 buttons while I'm there. I know it's smarter to go ahead and do all 6 but haven't pulled the button yet and not sure how hard it will be to open it up without breaking it any in the process. I've done this before in several vehicles but not this one. They were all gm vehicles so I'm sure it is similar. I'm thinking in the past that I just put an led with a resistor in place of the light bulb but I don't want the brightness or color to be different.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: disp mode light out

Quote Originally Posted by accuab View Post
    I have my dash pad out and see it is a good time to fix this light out that has been bothering me. Does anyone know if this is an led or a "grain of rice" bulb in the disp mode button. And should I just go ahead and redo all 6 buttons while I'm there. I know it's smarter to go ahead and do all 6 but haven't pulled the button yet and not sure how hard it will be to open it up without breaking it any in the process. I've done this before in several vehicles but not this one. They were all gm vehicles so I'm sure it is similar. I'm thinking in the past that I just put an led with a resistor in place of the light bulb but I don't want the brightness or color to be different.
    --------------------
    Cadillac calls this a NON-SERVICEABLE light - and will only sell the entire switch -

but here it is - DashBulb.jpg

should I just go ahead and redo all 6 buttons while I'm there
    YES -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Bass, are you sure those buttons use a bulb THAT big. After doing the seat heater buttons on the console and the 6 steering wheel buttons (smaller yet), that thing looks like a street lamp.

I've seen some tiny bulbs like that in a base. I believe I actually still have some around that size from a grand prix from years ago. I searched everywhere and finally just pulled some for free at a junk yard. If I could find a small enough bulb with long enough leads, I could just transfer them into the base. Also what is required to pull the bezel from the instrument cluster or can I just remove the buttons from it while it is in place?

Pretty sure you need to remove some dash trim, but without a FSM I'm not sure how.

yep - gotta pull the dash pad first -

Bass, are you sure those buttons use a bulb THAT big
    HA HA - they do look big - but these are the correct ones -

They ARE big compared to the micro surgery required for the ones I just did.

Basscat, does that honda bulb fit it perfectly? I found them online by the part number in your picture. I was gonna buy some bulbs from radio shack and just put them in the base if needed. I had some bulbs that are almost exactly like these but the bulb is just slightly larger and will not fit in the hole like I thought they would.

Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    --------------------
    Cadillac calls this a NON-SERVICEABLE light - and will only sell the entire switch -

but here it is - Attachment 149969

should I just go ahead and redo all 6 buttons while I'm there

YES -
    Does that bulb fit it perfectly? I wanna go ahead and order them but wanted to make sure they were the right ones.

I'm needing to do the steering wheel control lights and saw on another post to use some bulbs from radio shack. Do y'all think these would work for the icp buttons as well? I know I would need to transfer them into the plastic base that matches up to the icp. I don't have a digital micrometer to actually measure the size of the bulb that is used in those buttons to verify if it will work. I'm having to order the bulbs because apparently the town I live in is too small to keep the radio shack we had so they closed it down and I don't go anywhere near one on a frequent basis. Here are the bulbs I'm referring to :
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103780

Quote Originally Posted by accuab View Post
    I'm needing to do the steering wheel control lights and saw on another post to use some bulbs from radio shack. Do y'all think these would work for the icp buttons as well? I know I would need to transfer them into the plastic base that matches up to the icp. I don't have a digital micrometer to actually measure the size of the bulb that is used in those buttons to verify if it will work. I'm having to order the bulbs because apparently the town I live in is too small to keep the radio shack we had so they closed it down and I don't go anywhere near one on a frequent basis. Here are the bulbs I'm referring to :
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103780
    ------------------------
    if memory serves me right - those bulbs are too big to fit into the plastic mount -

The bulb in that link is correct for the steering wheel button light, but I'm not sure what an "ICP" button is.

They look huge in the picture in the link. Here is a better perspective.
    Attached Images

By icp button I meant the buttons to the left and right of instrument panel. I used a caliper and measured to bulb in it and compared the numbers to the radio shack bulb. The rs bulb is a half a mm thinner and a mm longer so I'm thinking it will work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.