Serpentine Belt Question? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Serpentine Belt Question? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im pretty sure I read that on a auto parts website go figure there just trying to sell you a ...
    Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 176000 miles Black on Black

Re: Serpentine Belt Question?

Im pretty sure I read that on a auto parts website go figure there just trying to sell you a belt

jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

Thanks again for the all the info and discussion.
    I'm going to replace it anyway since I have to pop it off to find the cause of the clicking noise.

Sub, I posted this separately because I didn't see my original post and thought it wouldn't be shown since it dated back to 2009. I'll be sure to only post one question next time.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

No problem - when you find a thread, no matter how old, on a problem you are having and then post to it, it jumps to the 'head of the list'. That's perfectly OK if that's where the current discussion lies - but when you start two threads on the same subject in different forums, then it's difficult to keep up on what has been advised where.

Got it.. thanks

With some assistance from a neighbor and a stethoscope, I found the clicking noise is coming from the tensioner pulley.
    I picked up a replacement tensioner and new belt and going to replace them this weekend.
    There's not much room to work with so wish me luck and I'll keep track of all the choice words I'm going to use.

BTW, does anyone know how much to torque the tensioner bolt?

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    50nm (37ft lbs)

?? That's a LOT for those 2 10mm tensioner studs. Even for the tensioner pulley center shoulder bolt. GM service manual ???

(The 2002 manual says 89 in/lb (~7.5 lb/ft) for the tensioner bolts [and the nuts], silent on the pulley shoulder bolt. 13mm hex head. Judiciously tight.)

jammgm, several water pump drive/tensioner pictures and diagrams in my albums - the Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 6 pages.

You could have bought just the pulley at a NAPA for about $24. It's totally replaceable - unless the tensioner arm/spring is toast. Also look in RockAuto, your car/year/system, engine, belt drive, 3-rib pulley. Gates.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    ?? That's a LOT for those 2 10mm tensioner studs. Even for the tensioner pulley center shoulder bolt. GM service manual ???

(The 2002 manual says 89 in/lb (~7.5 lb/ft) for the tensioner bolts [and the nuts], silent on the pulley shoulder bolt. 13mm hex head. Judiciously tight.)

jammgm, several water pump drive/tensioner pictures and diagrams in my albums - the Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 6 pages.

You could have bought just the pulley at a NAPA for about $24. It's totally replaceable - unless the tensioner arm/spring is toast. Also look in RockAuto, your car/year/system, engine, belt drive, 3-rib pulley. Gates.
    Thats what alldata tells me, i just used my best judgement when i reppllaced mine

Sub,

I didnt realize the pulley was replaceable and thought it was all one unit. The tensioner itself is fine.
    Thanks for the information. I'll check your albums as well.

Wish me luck,

Jim

For reference, if the pulley itself is noisy/needs replacement, you don't need to remove the tensioner arm - use a small crescent wrench on the square lug molded into the arm - lever the arm so as to slip off the belt. Now you can use a socket to remove the center bolt and pulley. Bolt on the new pulley, tighten the bolt (that action will move the arm toward the firewall - not to worry), replace the belt in the process.

............ There are two independent sealed bearing pulleys in the accessory drive: The idler and tensioner pulleys. Consider that on a high mileage engine also.

Guys,
    I just finished replacing the pulley and belt. The job wasn't too bad and didn't have to use many choice words.

I removed the battery, and loosened the a/c and power steering line brackets to give room to remove / replace the belt and also give me the room I needed to get at the tensioner. I removed the tensioner to replace the pulley which made it easier.

Sub,

Thanks for the tip to just replace the pulley versus the entire tensioner. You saved me some good $$.
    I'd buy you a drink or two if you were closer to CT.

Also just saw your note about replacing the pulley with the tensioner on the car. Not sure how easy that would be since the bolt was a torx and very hard to loosen. Had to put the tensioner in a bench vice to hold it while loosening the pulley bolt.

As with all the good info/tips you provide, I'll take your word for it.

The Torx bolt is a new one on me - anyone else have a Torx instead of a 13mm head hex bolt ?

(The end of the intake cam - water pump drive pulley - threads has a plastic cap with a Torx head, but that's strictly for thread protection. The threads in the cam snout are used with special GM extractor/installer tools for the TIGHT pressed-on drive pulley.)

I was just as surprised as you are when I took tensioner off the car.
    Even the new tensioner I purchased and returned had a 13mm bolt that held on the pulley.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.