Pulsing Lights
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
  • 1 Post By basscatt
  • 1 Post By Playdrv4me
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Pulsing Lights in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 1. I have a 94 Eldorado with 64K miles. I have had it for 3 years now and have noticed ...
    Northstarnut is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Pulsing Lights

1. I have a 94 Eldorado with 64K miles. I have had it for 3 years now and have noticed that the lights are flickering (pulsing). It affects all lights, dash, headlights, dome lights etc. I have a new battery, and the charging states 14.2 volts on the display. It is annoying to say the least, but I also think this pulsing will affect the longevity of the bulbs. Has anyone else experienced this weird phenomenon?

2. Does the 94 have a cabin filter and if so, where is it located and how can I change it?

3. I know the previous owner changed the trans filter at about 35K. At about what point should I change it again?

4. I need to service the ride control according to the display, but the air rides seem to be working and the ride height is level and stable. Is his just precautionary or is there something I need to be concerned with?

5. How involved is it to change the pads and rotors on the front? They are spongy and vibrate on stops.

I am new to the forum and look forward to your responses. Anything else I should look into or be concerned about?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstarnut
    1. I have a 94 Eldorado with 64K miles. I have had it for 3 years now and have noticed that the lights are flickering (pulsing). It affects all lights, dash, headlights, dome lights etc. I have a new battery, and the charging states 14.2 volts on the display. It is annoying to say the least, but I also think this pulsing will affect the longevity of the bulbs. Has anyone else experienced this weird phenomenon?
    It's a problem with the voltage regulator in the alternator.

2. Does the 94 have a cabin filter and if so, where is it located and how can I change it?
    The Eldorado never got a cabin air filter. Don't worry, they're pretty pointless anyway.

3. I know the previous owner changed the trans filter at about 35K. At about what point should I change it again?
    The filter is only accessible during a rebuild. There are 2 cleanable screens accessible with a pan drop. If you want, you could switch to the new Dexron VI transmission fluid.

4. I need to service the ride control according to the display, but the air rides seem to be working and the ride height is level and stable. Is his just precautionary or is there something I need to be concerned with?
    The message means that a C code has been set. I assume this is an ETC? There's a problem with the active suspension system. You'll have to pull your codes to find out what. Go to the top of the Eldorado/Seville page, and read the "sticky" thread on How To Pull DTCs. List any codes you find, AND TGEIR DEFINITIONS, here (there's a link within the sticky with code definitions).

5. How involved is it to change the pads and rotors on the front? They are spongy and vibrate on stops.
    Same as any other disk brake job. Remove caliper, pull off rotor, install new rotor, remove pads, push in piston, grease back of pads, install new pads, reinstall caliper.

If you've done it before, you're all set. If you haven't, ask more questions here, have someone who has help you, or take it to a professional.

I am new to the forum and look forward to your responses. Anything else I should look into or be concerned about?
    Concerned? Only you know how the car's maintained. Want something to do? Has the coolant been changed in the last 2/3 years? If not, do it now. Drain and fill with a 50/50% mix of DEX-COOL or all makes/all models coolant, and distilled water. NO ADDITIVES.

When you have time, go to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info.

Then read through the stickys here, and in the Northstar forum.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Pulsing Lights

Nothing to add but
    Northstarnut likes this.

Better to replace the alternator than rebuild it I assume at 64K miles?

I have done a pile of GM cars so I think I can handle the brake/rotors on this!

I did the dex/cool at 60000 so it is good

To changeover to the trans VI fluid, I assume you have to drain and fill all including the torque converter? It sounds to me like a professional job.

Thanks for the information and cites. I am a shade tree mechanic, but somewhere in the 90's the systems got away from me and I have neither the tools nor knowledge to tackle some projects. I bought the car with 37K miles and have had only a few minor things to fix since, but I want to start some preventive things so it won't surprise me when I can least afford to break down.

Chuck

----------

Thank you!

One more thing...is there a place to go to find trunk emblems? Mine is badly fading in the last year until there is almost no color. It was red

Chuck

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Brakes - remember: The rear caliper pistons screw back into the calipers - do NOT attempt to squash them with pliers or a clamp.
    Northstarnut likes this.

I had a new alternator/voltage regulator put in to the tune of $500, and the lights are still flickering, now and with a battery that is only months old.Anyone else have a direction to go to get this flickering stopped? I am all for replacing defective parts, but replacing each component one at a time is probably not a great way to troubleshoot, but thanks to those with the advice! I would not have done it but for this forum, which I expected to be more knowledgeable about Cadillac than Bob the Mechanic. I was trying to avoid needless expense while they try to run it down. I guess someday I would have needed an new alternator and serpentine belt, right? Thanks guys! Anyone else want to chime in with a better guess?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

How involved is it to change the pads and rotors on the front?
    They are spongy and vibrate on stops.

brake pads will not cause - and will not cure a spongy pedal -

a spongy pedal - TYPICALLY - is caused by air in the system -
    or possibly a master cylinder with an internal leak -

Anyone else want to chime in with a better guess
    what brand battery and alternator did you buy?
    Northstarnut likes this.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

As long as we're throwing out ideas for the pulsing lights (common GM problem but mostly on other models and pickups):

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t535...t_flicker.html

You may have a grounding issue somewhere.
    Northstarnut likes this.

what brand battery and alternator did you buy?[/QUOTE]

NAPA and CarQuest respectively

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.