A "hot rodders/ customizers" POV on interchangeability...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vincentm
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, A "hot rodders/ customizers" POV on interchangeability... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; There have been a few questions lately about mixing and matching 92-95 parts on 96-02 Eldos and vice-versa. Citing threads ...
    Tankboy40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 ETC (N* 120k)

Exclamation A "hot rodders/ customizers" POV on interchangeability...

There have been a few questions lately about mixing and matching 92-95 parts on 96-02 Eldos and vice-versa. Citing threads

"http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/376385-will-92-94-eldorado-grill-fit.html"

and "http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/375833-95-eldorado-2001-eldorado-interior-panels.html" specifically

"Eldorado Senior Members: I have a question about interchangeability between Eldorados of different years.

My Mom loves my "new" to me 02 so much so that I'm going to try to buy one for her, too.

I have the opportunity to buy a 95 for parts, and use them in a 2001 ESC. Specifically, I want to take the following parts out of the 95:
    1. Interior door panels and seats.
    2. CD Changer, right now the 01 has only a cassette unit. I want to know if I can just plug the CD changer into 01.
    3. The K Carriage Cross Carriage in the rear is rusted bad. I will try to add a picture of what I mean.
    By the way, I am reserching this for my own education. I have heard that I can even take a buick K Cross Carriage, that thing where the ELC compressor is attached, and there are rear wheels on both sides.
    "

That said, I'[ll only speak to the above concerns.

As an owner of a 93 Eldorado with 98% interior from a 99 installed in my vehicle by me, i can tell you that the parts (in many cases) look the same but are not, they ARE close enough that with a few (little) modifications they can be fit into either new~> older or older~>newer models.

Let me be perfectly clear here, i am speaking of 98% of interior panels/seats/dash pad/center console and the like.
    The front headlight assemblies, the grille, the taillights and trunk liner and more than a few other parts can be fit into either with minor modifications. If you are capable of repairing a window circuit, you are probably capable of swapping in slightly modded pieces.

I am NOT speaking to suspension/ drive-train parts. I have no experience (yet) with changes on those issues.

I know I'm going to catch alot of flack (mainly from moderators) about this post, and frankly, i dont really care.

First hand experience (IMHO) is always worth more than trying to match part #'s.

Yes, I know these are Cadillacs, but if a guy want to upgrade/change options in a vehicle, why not encourage people instead of going with the tired old parts swapping ideas... Think outside the box guys, you all could at one point in your lives, now reach back to that point and get some of it back!

Hot rods were created by those who didnt have money to BUY the exact car thgey wannted, so people improvised.

I cant afford the 96+ that I want, but found a nice 93 that im working to make "just like" a 96+ and I can appreciate the interest to make changes.

Thats all I've got for now.... Let the discussion/slams/ect begin.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: A "hot rodders/ customizers" POV on interchangeability...

Once again - In the Eldorado thread concerning buying cars for swapping interior parts - I made NO reference to swapping Eldorado body parts or interiors among different years .......... I stated that the 92-95 cars were OBD1 and the 96-02 cars were OBD-II ............ major differences in sensors, data transmission, and engine/transmission calibrations.

I would never give "advice" on body/interior parts swaps in an Eldorado because - "never been there, never done that !".

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Closing in 3...2....
    rodnok01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Once again - In the Eldorado thread concerning buying cars for swapping interior parts - I made NO reference to swapping Eldorado body parts or interiors among different years .......... I stated that the 92-95 cars were OBD1 and the 96-02 cars were OBD-II ............ major differences in sensors, data transmission, and engine/transmission calibrations.

I would never give "advice" on body/interior parts swaps in an Eldorado because - "never been there, never done that !".
    I
    didnt say a word about sensiors and such, this is about body/interior swapping.

----------

:edited original post in this thread for clarification..

X-Hibition is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition

I never want to jump in to the middle of a dog fight but you may be mistaken Tank Boy about modding in this forum. N*Caddy in his signature (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z") declares to the world the changes that he has made, and "how to" for all of them. I know I have a 12 disc changer now because of that, and soon to have an Aux in.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Why would we slam you Tankboy?? You mistake cautious advice towards newbs and their leap before you look projects when they don't realize how difficult some things with these are. I've modified the hell out of both mine and plan to continue(I like stock look to mods).

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

'96 was introduced a HUGE change to the Eldorado and Seville.
    You have better luck swapping parts from a '96+ Honda in your '96+ Cadillac than '95 and older Cadillacs.

So if you have a '96+ Cadillac and plan purchasing a parts car look no older than '96. It is very deceiving how GM made the cars look so similar on the outside, but underneath the paint could not be more different. Even the body is different (like the whole rear of the floor). Anything you don’t see is not the same.

i've been quite satisfied with the results (and challenges) of swapping the 99 interior into my 93. Still am working a few bugs out..... everything except the dash is installed at this time... and i drive the car everyday!

Before
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=5510685c64

After

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=cf02a2299e

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=401969c93e

I can provide more photos if needed!!

With a bit of ingenuity interior swaps in these can be done!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You took that beautiful two tone interior out?!?!

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

the BEFORE looks really sharp -

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yeah. When he first posted pics of it a while back I LOVED the combination of the two tone interior and green exterior.

ya guys... I'm a black on black guy... my 97 was black on black (purchased mothers day of 01)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=bb8d44a51e

and I've missed it since I got rid of it. The dark green paint on this one has kinda grown on me, whereas I just couldnt deal with med saddle tan anymore... Last thing I've gotta do is the dash (and get some better pix of what has already been done)

It has been quite a challenge... different wiring in each car... but with the help of alldata and my 20 yr old.. its coming along.

Since I only paid $750.00 for the car I figured a little "artistic license" was allowed.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You messed up a really good-looking car. Polo Green over Camel simply oozes class.

In the early 90's Ford did something similar with Taurus - Seafoam Green Metallic over 2-tone Camel leather. Chevy did it in the mid-60's with Emerald Green Metallic over 2-tone Camel vinyl. (Ask me how I know ......... connect the dots.)

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You messed up a really good-looking car. Polo Green over Camel simply oozes class.

In the early 90's Ford did something similar with Taurus - Seafoam Green Metallic over 2-tone Camel leather. Chevy did it in the mid-60's with Emerald Green Metallic over 2-tone Camel vinyl. (Ask me how I know ......... connect the dots.)
    Ya Sub, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... lol..

IMHO if the tan would have appeared less orange to me it would have been ok... but that just wasnt the case.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.