Cadillac Owners Forum banner

98 STS...possible DDM problem?

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
Just got my first Cadillac! Traded a thunderbird for it lol..car is in need of some major help! First issue is the interior electronics! Steering wheel does not adjust, the seat doesn't adjust nor does the heater work but it lights up...the only window that works is the drivers window as well as that's the only door that has any power to the lock actuator! Every other door is completely dead no courtesy lighting or door ajar lights for anything but the driver door...speaker in that door does not work either...but i can still adjust the mirrors on both doors with the switch...I'm a little lost on where to start...I'm not even sure what to search for...I've looked for this specific problem and can't find anything! Everything on the front passenger seat works but the rear has absolutely nothing! Please help me revive this ole girl!

----------

actually passenger mirror doesn't adjust...thought it did

#2 ·
#3 ·
You'll need deep pockets to save this car ............. and a pretty extensive set of tools.

For starters, look into subscribing the car to www.alldatadiy.com, or find a real GM/Helm service manual set on eBay or at www.helminc.com. Your "new" car bears absolutely no resemblance to a T-Bird (of any vintage).

#4 ·
Well it was a beat up 90 v6 car lol...I checked the codes and there were a ton...took roughly to minutes for it to go through them! Almost all but a few were history codes...I cleared them and drove it a little...I have an exhaust leak so it shows to lean...and the front left wheel speed sensor...then there is a body code for the air inlet door for the climate control...I'll check it when I get to work and see if anymore arise lol

#8 ·
I'm quite mechanically inclined that's not an issue...I have plenty of tools and access to what I don't have...yes I have a volt meter and I'm not rich by any means but I can work with what I have...I don't necessarily have to fix every single thing but what I would like assistance with is the issue with my interior

#9 ·
----------------------
check all the fuses both under the hood and under the back seat -

inspect all the wires in the entire loom that feeds the driver door -
the loom gets pinched and abraded at the door post -

same with the left rear door -

check that stuff and report back with the results -

#11 ·
Sounds like you have a GROUND issue.

Also:
You need a new Wheel hub for front wheel ($190 part plus 2h labor)
Both rear struts, may have been changed with aftermarket passive ones (2x$700 parts + 2h labor)
New ELC compressor ($450 + 1h labor)
New height sensor for the front right corner (~$200+<1h labor)
At least need to check the VSS (but if the transmission shifts fine) then you may have a short (GND or battery) on the VSS circuit (starts from PCM and connects to IPC, HU - if NAV, RIM, EBTCM, Cruise Control Module)

#12 ·
Replaced both wheel bearings yesterday! Still have an abs and traction control light on...discovered tonight that my sunroof leaked info my floorboard...soaking wet! :( I suppose I know where to look for all my issues now! Checked the door wiring and connectors everything is still flexible and clean

----------

N*Caddy thanks for the list and prices!

----------

Something else I noticed was that it's not giving me first gear! Other then that everything involving the vss works!

#13 ·
Don't worry about the water, it didn't harm any electronics. But you NEED to remove the carpet and let it dry out for a few days. The foam backing holds TONS of water, and will pretty much never dry unless it's removed. You'll also want to cut the pinched end off of the 4 sunroof drains so it doesn't happen again.

Because of the WSS issue, traction control is disabled. When traction control is disabled (or turned off) on pre '00 cars, the transmission starts in second gear.

#14 ·
Wow that's crazy! I hope it's all good...I'm worried about how long it's been like that! Maybe some corrosion...nothing I can't fix lol...I'm going to tear it all apart tomorrow...since my driver seat doesn't move how much of a pain is that seat going to be to take out?

#16 ·
The seat has to be pretty much all the way forward to get to the rear bolts. You'll have to remove the seat bottom upholstery and foam, disconnect both drive shafts from the forward/backward motor, and turn the shafts, one at a time, a little at a time, with pliers, until the seat is all the way forward. NOT fun :nono: .

I would suggest getting to the rug as soon as possible. Incentive:

A small spot of surface rust, lots of "rust dust" from the water carrying it all over the rest of the floor, damaged carpet padding, and destroyed sound deadening material.

Post here or PM me if you have any questions on the disassembly/removal of anything. There are a few tricks for the seats, in particular.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.