Interior lights do not come on when doors are opened, 1988 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Interior lights do not come on when doors are opened, 1988 Eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Greetings - When either door opens in my 1988 Eldorado, the interior lights do not come on. The power mirrors ...
    RMarek69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante, 1988 Eldorado

Interior lights do not come on when doors are opened, 1988 Eldorado

Greetings -

When either door opens in my 1988 Eldorado, the interior lights do not come on. The power mirrors and locks do work. Also, the interior lights do come on when I manually switch them on. The back cigarette lighters do work, but the one in the front does not work.

I'm not sure it is related, but reminder chimes do not work, for example, lights on chime, seat belt chime, engine oil chime, etc. Are the lack of chimes and interior lights working when doors are opened related somehow?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you,
    Robert

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JGD
    JGD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ESC

Re: Interior lights do not come on when doors are opened, 1988 Eldorado

First thing you should check is if you have it set correctly in the DIC programming. Using your owners guide, you can set custom features like "Doors Lock in Drive", "Mirror Tilts in Reverse" etc... one of the settings is for "Courtesy Lights on" which lights the entire car when you open the doors. If this is set to OFF, set to ON.

As far as the chimes, I do not know. But in my experience, it's not related.

Hope this helps...

*EDITED

Turns out, the Lights at Exit is for the exterior lamps only. The interior lamps only come on when the photocell detects it is dark outside. Also, check to see if your interior lights are set to bright. Rotate the Headlight Control knob on the dash clockwise. If you rotate it completely, until it clicks, the lights will all come on. Rotate it counter clockwise just past that click and try that.

I hope this helps

RMarek69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante, 1988 Eldorado
    Yeah I've tried that, all the lights do come on when I turn that knob all the way to the right, but all the lights are off otherwise.

Also, I tried to cover the twilight sensor to block the daylight, but that did not change anything. Maybe it's broken?

Of course this is not an urgent issue, but I would love to correct it.

Thank you,
    Robert

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.