Fuel Gage always reads "E", 1988 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Fuel Gage always reads "E", 1988 Eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Greetings - The fuel gage on my 1988 Eldorado always says empty so I need to use the trip odometer ...
    RMarek69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante, 1988 Eldorado

Fuel Gage always reads "E", 1988 Eldorado

Greetings -

The fuel gage on my 1988 Eldorado always says empty so I need to use the trip odometer as a fuel gage and reset every time I fill up.

The previous owner mentioned that the fuel tank was replaced, and he thinks that the gage was not working right after that.

The manual has a flow chart called "Erratic Digital Fuel Gage" and the first step is to "disconnect the fuel tank sending unit connector". Do I need to remove the fuel tank to do this? I've read elsewhere that to replace the fuel tank sending unit, the fuel tank must be removed on Eldorado's of this era, but what about just disconnecting the connector?

Thank you,
    Robert

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    The sending unit is part of the pump. Drop the tank, remove the pump, might as well replace the whole enchilada while youre at it. Two birds, one stone.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Fuel Gage always reads "E", 1988 Eldorado

You should be able to disconnect the electrical connector from beneath the car without dropping the tank.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: Fuel Gage always reads "E", 1988 Eldorado

In most GM cars if the gauge reads E it means a pinched wire either in the harness or at the sender. Reading full all the time means an open connection.

RMarek69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Allante, 1988 Eldorado
    Thanks, I'm trying to do this without dropping the fuel tank, I would have to bring it somewhere and if prefer not to spend the money right now.

Hopeful I can look underneath and figure something out. I'm just trying to follow the procedure in the service manual to troubleshoot and erratic fuel gage.

If anyone has additional suggestions that would be great.

Thank you,
    Robert

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.