turn signal switch 99 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, turn signal switch 99 Eldorado in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; when I first bought the car a year ago the problem I had was when I would press the brakes ...
    basic_390 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 eldorado

turn signal switch 99 Eldorado

when I first bought the car a year ago the problem I had was when I would press the brakes for a extended period of time (sometimes not all the time) I would get a Lil bit of smoke from behind the steering wheel (mostly and drive thru windows and long stop lights).So one day after it smoke REALLY bad I notice that to brake lights wouldn't work anymore. I replaced all the the bulbs and they still didn't work but everything else did like turn, 3rd bk light, tail-lights, and hazard.so after doing some research I found out about to turn signal switch and replaced it .the first time I couldn't figure out how to get the connector down the column so I cut it an spliced.the brake light were working now but the rear brake light would sometime come on blinking like hazards even when I cut the car off. so I replaced it again without cutting it and now when I hit the turn signal both LF,RT sides flash together and I can't tell if its hazard of both turn signal going at the same time. I just don't understand what I could be doing wrong could there be a bad ground somewhere

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: turn signal switch 99 Eldorado

Sounds like you hacked the wiring and that is where to start. Just as a side note why would you let something smoke inside the car and then why did you change the bulbs when something was frying inside the dash?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

if you are going to try to fix this yourself -
    you are going to need the wiring diagrams -
    the Factory Service Manual -
    or an on-line subscription to AllData - will have them -

good luck - and keep us posted -

basic_390 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 eldorado

I let it smoke because It did it every blue moon I didn't have the money to take it to the dealer and changed all the bulbs because the brake lights weren't working and I had an inspection coming up
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Sounds like you hacked the wiring and that is where to start. Just as a side note why would you let something smoke inside the car and then why did you change the bulbs when something was frying inside the dash?

4camjewelry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '98 Eldorado, '99 Deville, 4.9 Fiero, N* Fiero project

basic, it's simple enough to find whether it's the TS or the hazard circuit that's running. Think about it, TS is powered only with IGN ON, hazard is HOT ALL TIMES. They're absolutely separate circuits until they reach the TS switch, so if you're not convinced by the IGN on/off test, you can pull either fuse to confirm which is powering: your TS is underhood fuse "TURN" and the hazard is rear compartment fuse "HAZARD." Seems to me if you put an good intact harness back in, you're still dealing with a messed-up switch; the little actuator cams and links all have to be indexed and set in there just right. I'd go to the boneyard and pull another one open to reverse engineer it.

basscatt is right, it'll be much less painful with some good documentation. There used to be real GM Electronic Service Information GMSPO discs around for cheap, like $30 on ebay, listed for specific vehicles. Got one for my '99 Deville and was blown away when I discovered it has everything GM from 1980-2005. Sadly I don't see them on there right now. I looked at the switch replacement section for your '99 Eldo and it seems pretty straightforward w/ no real tricky stuff.

Best luck!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.