Possible Seville Purchase
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vincentm
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Possible Seville Purchase in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Brand new today. I am thinking of moving from BMW/MB to Cadillac and am looking at a 2000 Seville STS ...
    achillies is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Possible Seville Purchase

Brand new today. I am thinking of moving from BMW/MB to Cadillac and am looking at a 2000 Seville STS w/80,000mi. Limited service record. Visually looks good and runs fine. I tried to search and found HG issue that suggested 2000 and newer. It seems these cars are described as incredible money sucks. Are they worse than the German sedans? I am trying to get a little more realistic in my maintenance costs. Thanks for any insights.

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bwv565 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Re: Possible Seville Purchase

Check out many of the threads on this forum about problems and how much they cost to fix. Everything on these cars is electronic and computerized so repairs, especially for a 13-yr old one are going to be a nightmare.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

In these fixit forums a particular car/year/model (Cadillac or not) may appear to be a money pit .......... but if you do your homework and find one of the creampuffs you will have a good, reliable, comfortable car that will give good service. Make no mistake: These FWD Cadillacs have their share of problems - but if you take the time to find a good one - not a "Good deal" - then you stand an excellent chance of satisfaction. Buy one off a Korner Kar Korral or an eBay/craigslist fantastic deal and you're doomed. Hands-on maintenance and basic repair are part and parcel of any car ownership responsibility. Most people can handle the job; some will never be able to. You're looking at a series of forums where NO car is perfect - and that skews the perception of what can be a great car.

You are considering moving from BMW/MB - so you know full well that some of those brands can be nightmares; I worked as a grease monkey and mechanic, as well as amateur race driver, in MB and Jaguar shops in the 50's - they were no more or less reliable than today.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think any car can be a money pit. My '03 hasn't cost me much more than normal wear items like brakes & tires, but I bought it with 17K on it.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

if you "jump" on the first one you see - or hunt for a "bargain" -
    EXPECT disappointment -

there is USUALLY a reason someone wants to get rid of an expensive car cheap -

if you take your time - and find the RIGHT ONE -
    they really are quite reliable -

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ All of the above. If you used to Mercedes and BMW cost you might be pleasantly surprised with Cadillac costs. But it really helps to start out with a good example of a Seville, not one that was rode hard and put away wet!

JackFunTeach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado ETC, 2001 Eldorado ESC Custom Project, and ...

Howdie Achillies,
    I sold my 03 M5, and bought a pristine 02 Eldorado. I love the car so much that I bought an 01 for my Mom. Will it perform like a new car? Yes, if you put in the time and money. In my humble opinion, it comes down to tolerance. I had a mushy older suspension on my 02. So, I sought the advice of the many nice experienced guys on this forum. Originally, I thought it was going to cost about a thousand, and then through some serious coaching and help from the kindness of this forum, my out of pocket is about 500 for ALL four shocks/struts. Did I have to do this right now? No. It passed inspection. But I wanted to set this up to run for as long as I live. For instance, while doing the front struts, do you have to replace the stabilizer links while you are there? No. But I did so. Red Box Car Quest is 17 bucks a side. I went with Moog at 70 bucks a side.

There needs to be said that there are a few "Game Over" scenarios. Engine head gasket and bad transmission is game over in my opinion. The cost to r/r exceeds the cost of buying a new one.

In a rush? You will pay. Can you be a slow assassin for a good deal...I mean a good car, and keep you temperament through the numbers game of calling and seeing a lot of cars? Only you know this. It was hard for me, but I waited a year before I found "the one."

Just my 0.02 cents.

Jack

by the way, BMW...has the same thing. You can buy cheap Chinese knock offs or Lemforder. But my experience has been that BMW is crazy big money for everything. GM parts are more accessible...domestic parts. No German Imports. Just make sure your engine and trainee work great. "Stress and Pressure is when you don't know what you are doing," Peyton Manning

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville
    You can have a problem with any car, bad design, bad run of parts from a supplier , maintenance all factor in. Example my friend had a 4yr old civic vtech at 80k needed head gasket, water pump, timing belt, alternator and bat at 90k. Maintained per book and 90% hwy mileage. My 03 deville needed wp and battery, stock besides at 120k. Do your homework as to maintenance and purchase and accept that things can happen regardless. There is always a trade off no matter what you do you just need to set your line in the sand somewhere.

98cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Seville STS

Before I purchased my car about 7 years ago, everyone told me that "Cadillacs are a nightmare because the electronics will be constantly breaking down". So far, I haven't had a single electronic issue that required repair.

No one told me about the head gasket issues (I didn't know about Cadillac Forums at that time). I have already had a used engine put in several years ago due to a head gasket issue, and I'm biting my nails about the next one.

That said, if I could from time to time magically transform all of the parts of my car to be brand new versions of the same parts without having to pay for them, I would keep my car forever.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Random person at a gas station saw me and asked if i would buy a BMW/Mercedes in the future? I said i don't plan on downgrading..
    basscatt and JackFunTeach like this.

JackFunTeach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado ETC, 2001 Eldorado ESC Custom Project, and ...

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Random person at a gas station saw me and asked if i would buy a BMW/Mercedes in the future? I said i don't plan on downgrading..
    Well said vincentm! I have owned both, MB and BMW...and not their base models. My Cadillac is the most comfortable and most high end car that I have ever owned. Cadillac owners seem to love their cars for a lot longer. I recently read data in the WSJ about the average time of ownership for high end cars. And Cadillac not only had the longest ownership, but also the high occurrence of brand loyalty with repeat buyers.

I don't expect myself to be any different. And if you disagree, I will fight you. J/king

Jack

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.