High and low mileage STSs in Austria - opinions appreciated
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, High and low mileage STSs in Austria - opinions appreciated in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello folks, I'm new in this forum and I live in Vienna / Austria. Several weeks ago I found a ...
    BenzinoNapoloni is offline Cadillac Owners Member

High and low mileage STSs in Austria - opinions appreciated

Hello folks,

I'm new in this forum and I live in Vienna / Austria.

Several weeks ago I found a 1996 STS to be sold and since that time I'm dealing with the conditions this car may be now.

That STS was bought 6 years ago with about 155.000 km and no more driven since that time.

Than again some weeks ago a 1992 STS was to be sold with "1000 km". That's true.
    The ancient lady drove the car only once or twice a year.

Does anybody here have experiences with 4.9 or 4.6 STS in similar conditions?

I'm very experienced in car repair including transmissions. But unfortunately I've no experience at all what could be the outcome of engines that being not much used.

Thanks for your replies in advance and kind regards.

Thomas

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: High and low mileage STSs in Austria - opinions appreciated

The 4.9 is much more reliable. The 4.6 is a great , powerful and fuel efficient engine, but the pre 2000's where a bit more prone to HG failures and if that happens, you need to drop the drivetrain to disassemble it and all 20 head bolt holes must be drilled, retapped and inserted.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    92 Seville with 1000miles? Now there is a rare bird indeed. Miles/kilometers. Who is arguing? That is damn low.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

I would also prefer the 92 with the 4.9 motor -
    than the 96 with the Northstar -

Jim964 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 seville sls

I owned a 92 Seville with the 4.9 and agree with the others it was a reliable fun to car to drive.

Thanks a lot to all of you and thanks to the mod for rendering more precisely the header of the thread.

1000 km are about 620 miles and suggest the ancient lady drove the STS once a year to be controlled routinely as usual in Austria.
    Because of the log unused times of both cars I'm afraid of dried out gaskets (eg. valve stem gaskets) and sealing rings (eg. both crankshaft sealing rings).

I'm quite familiar with disassembling engines and I think renewing the head gaskets and the valve stem gaskets would be the first work to do at both cars.

Kind regards

Thomas

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

you "found a car to be sold"? does that mean you bought it? sounds like you did since you now mention tearing down the 600 mile motor to replace old seals. i have to ask. what does the underside of the car look like? was it stored in dry conditions? no surface rust or corroded steel surfaces like brake lines or such?

I'm just searching for such a car right now but I know for sure that not 5 or 6 years without driving or even cranking the engine nor 600 miles within 20 years are the worst conditions to keep rubber seals and gaskets ready for daily driving.

Until now I didn't see the underside of both cars. The 92 STS was stored in dry conditions, the 96 wasn't.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Just my two cents, if you are OK with doing the head gaskets, I'd definitely prefer the 1996 Seville STS. The Northstar system cars are great performers much quicker and more satisfying that the 4.9 engine cars.

Both of these cars will be hard to get parts for in Europe, so if you are going to go for a 4th generation Seville (my favorite)I'd definitely go for the later car and get all the benefits of these great cars have to offer.

Since I own a 93 Pontiac Trans Sport too and because of a very large community of Pontiac and Chevy owners (Trans Sport up to Uplander) we have a wide field of US suppliers for parts (even for specific connectors and terminals).
    I'm just a little bit unstable by reading comments and watching videos about drilling the holes for new bolts during head gasket repair.

I did a lot of head gaskets since I'm driving cars but I never have to drill new holes for the bolts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.