Cooling Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Cooling Issue in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was hoping someone could help me figure out what is going on with my car regarding coolant overflow. Two ...
    Bajnok is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1977 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1998 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Cooling Issue

I was hoping someone could help me figure out what is going on with my car regarding coolant overflow.

Two months ago I received a Low Coolant message on the dash and added about 1/2 a gallon of 50/50 Dexcool/Distilled water, but added a bit too much. A few days later, the coolant came out of the overflow tube when I parked at work. When the car cooled down, I checked the level and it was correct (2 inches below the filler neck). A month later, I went on a 600 mile trip with the car that involved a lot of idling in traffic in 90 degree temperatures. The temperature hand stayed in the 12 o'clock position, but after excessive idling moved up to near the first mark past 12, and then went back down again as the car cooled down. After the trip, I received another low coolant message and added about 1/4 gallon of coolant to the recovery tank. Since then, I've driven the car about another 600 miles and have lost about another two pints of antifreeze.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. Checked for leaks - found none, except for indications that I am loosing coolant out of the recovery purge hose
    2. Changed radiator cap two times, first a safety type cap, then the regular OEM cap
    3. Verified that Waterpump belt has tension (tensioner and belt were changed about 3 months ago).
    4. Examined exhaust tips - noticed nothing oily
    5. Looked at crossover coolant line. I could not stretch it to the recovery to test, but this does get hot as the engine warms up; Could I assume that there is coolant flowing through it?
    4. Thermostat was changed 2 years ago
    5. Waterpump was changed 1 year ago
    6. Enabled Temperature reading on the dash - Car Operates on the highway at 190 degrees, City about 190-201, idling cycles up to 222 depending on the length of the idle, and then back down to 215 degrees.
    8. Performed Block test - Fluid did not change from blue.

Today I performed the block test, and didn't have any change in fluid color. After running the car for a while, I reved the engine up to 3000 rpm three times, and suddenly had a lot of antifreeze come out of the recovery. After shutting off the car, the dash said the temperature of the engine was 199 degrees F.

As of right now, I'm stumped on what the problem could be. I'm waiting for the car to cool down to add more antifreeze. Is it possible that I had an air pocket in the system for over 3 months?

If you have any ideas or can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Cooling Issue

Hiya - Go to the Engines, Northstar Performance forum and read the 3 sticky threads at the top of the main forum threads page - the ones on gauges, cooling system, and fan operation. That should explain your apparently normal cooling/rpm/coolant overflow events.

Losing coolant can be as simple as a tiny leak or crack - in the radiator end tanks or the surge tank.......... look for the "small stuff" before condemning the engine itself.

Submariner - Thank you for the fast response. I've looked over the three threads again today, as well as the gauge dampening pictures, any everything appears to be working normally aside from losing coolant. The only wet area I have found is inside the coolant reservoir overflow tube (pointing down toward the road).

All other areas, do not show signs of a leak, or smell of antifreeze. Do you think it is possible for an air pocket to stay in the system, if it was not previously properly burped?

I decided to do the block test since I though that a lose head bolt my be introducing more pressure to the overflow reservoir and casing the coolant to leave the recovery.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

There's a good chance that the surge tank pressure cap is toast - those things are not forever - if there's coolant in the overflow it's either from a bad cap seal or possibly too much coolant in the tank - but you said that the level was good - about halfway up in the tank, cold.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

I would recommend doing a pressure test when the emgine is cold -
    you can "rent" one for free from autozone - and other big parts stores -
    pump the npressure up to 20PSI - and let it sit -
    the system is sealed - and should maintain that parssure forever -

check the PURGE LINE for a constant - gentle flow of coolant -
    when the engine is running -

I'll get the pressure tester from autozone and post my results after I run the test. I'll also get some heater hose to extend the purge line to the surge tank.

I've bought two new radiator caps with the same result, so I'll test these with the pressure tester as well. Initially, I replaced the old one when I heard a gurgling sound in the tank when I shut the car off one day.

I'll post what I find in a few days.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Bajnok View Post
    I'll get the pressure tester from autozone and post my results after I run the test. I'll also get some heater hose to extend the purge line to the surge tank.

I've bought two new radiator caps with the same result, so I'll test these with the pressure tester as well. Initially, I replaced the old one when I heard a gurgling sound in the tank when I shut the car off one day.

I'll post what I find in a few days.
    ------------------
    I'll also get some heater hose to extend the purge line to the surge tank.
    heater hose is too big - rubber gas line is perfect -

ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Really take a good look at the radiator. I keep losing fluid for a long time did the "test" and I was good there. I thought I would smell antifrezze ocassionally but could never see anything . About a month later I had a the radiator blow out about a mile from the house.

zek4964 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k
    I had the same issue with my97 sts I changed the surge tank two weeks ago and it fixed the problem.
    I was losing coolant pretty fast when I parked I noticed it on the ground under the battery area. When I got the old surge tank out I inspected it very well and found no cracks or holes in it. My belief is that it was leaking out of the switch area atthe bottom of the tank. I was refilling it ever three dats driving it 50 miles each day.

I have not added any fluid since I replaced the tank. It is holding fluid and no more leaks.
    It is hard to test the tank for leaks becuase it has to be pressurized up to 15 psi to correctly check it for leaks.

ELDO Guy and zek4964, thanks for your replies.

I took the car out yesterday after doing the pressure test, and hadn't properly burped the system and had air in the lines. To make a long story short, I ended up burping the car at the bank to get the air out. I took the car out again today in both highway and city driving (with stopped traffic for about 20 minutes and two cycles of the temperature going up and the fans coming on to cool it down at low speed). So far the coolant temperature performance looks fine.

Interestingly, I think that the fans do come on all the time at low speed if the coolant sensor detects the coolant as low.

ELDO Guy - I had the same thing happen on my 77 Deville, but did not have the radiator blow; I finally noticed the leak when it was cold outside and coolant was steaming off the sides of the tank.

For now, I'm going to go back to monitoring the system to see if I lose any more coolant, while taking a good look around the tank and radiator. I'll post an update when I have anything new.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.