Blower Motor Replacement Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Blower Motor Replacement Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I'm a new member, I've got a '97 Eldorado. Blower Motor not working, so pulled it. As you know it's ...
    Robert97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Blower Motor Replacement Issues

I'm a new member, I've got a '97 Eldorado. Blower Motor not working, so pulled it. As you know it's a Very tight space between the fire wall and engine. I ended up taking the blower "apart" in place (the firewall mount/connector comes apart from the motor and the cage) and squeezed each piece out individually. Unfortunately the only replacements I've found are one piece units only (cage, motor and mount flange all one piece) and it won't squeeze into the tight approach.

So I thought I'd look into fixing the old blower motor instead. I Cleaned the contacts and copper etc and tested it. It will make maybe 1/8 turn then stop and then start and hesitate etc. So...questions: 1) Any suggestions on what to do to test and make a repair to the "old" unit since it fits and/or 2) Any suggestions on how to get the replacement unit to fit? I've removed the plastic engine cover, plugs wires, other leads and cables in the way. Any other tricks? By the way, the replacement unit runs great when you connect it. Changes speed well, no hesitation etc. Just can't get it in place. Thanks Robert

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Blower Motor Replacement Issues

disconnect the dog-bone engine strut -
    and you should be able to pull the motor forward enough to slip the new blower into place -

some have used a turnbuckle where the strut was -
    some have used a 2X4 CAREFULLY PLACED - with an assistant -

if you crack the cage while installing the fan - STOP -
    you MUST either replace the cage - or the entire blower -
    and glueing it back together WILL NOT WORK -
    the extra glue WILL throw the balance way off -
    and the entire dash will vibrate - until the blower tears itself apart -

WATCH YOUR FINGERS -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

zek4964 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 cts 68k, 07 STS-V 15K, 97 Sts 160k
    If you search my user name zek4964 you should find a nice write up on what I did to get the blower motor into place. In short, I removed the old one and assembled the new one in place in the fire wall. You can get it into place without pulling the engine forward. I used an old one out of a deville and I did not have force the engine foreword I was able to take the motor apart and install the parts in place. But I am pretty sure the cage has to come off and the steel plate with the connector on it as well.

I have been told the NEW ones will not fit and the motor has to be pulled forward to install.

LloydCFerguson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC, 2002 STS
    I fought with my '97 ETC, got the old one out but couldn't get the new one in until I dropped the front of the cradle a few inches using my floor jack and jack stands. the biggest PITA was crawling under the car to disconnect the exhaust system (4 bolts)

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    I dropped front of subframe to help rear valve cover swap. Did not touch exhaust. Don't follow why exhaust would need to be moved or unhooked to tilt subframe forward

LloydCFerguson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC, 2002 STS

It was either the FSM or something I saw on line that said that was the correct procedure. I assumed it had something to do with the exhaust manifold wanting to rotate slightly as the front of the engine dropped and putting stress on the joint.

ronluh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Black on Black 2001 esc
    Remove rear valve cover with swivel socket..... no sub frame drop on eldo's.....

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by ronluh View Post
    Remove rear valve cover with swivel socket..... no sub frame drop on eldo's.....
    Which is what i did

pocketpared is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado

I don't know about your model but on my 92 Eldo there were 2 lines molded into the upper sides of the rubber shroud surrounding the blower assembly with the words "Cut Here" molded in. When you cut along those lines it was much easier to get the blower unit up and out and down and in and when you're done there's almost no gap and I didn't notice any drop off in air flow when I was done.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by pocketpared View Post
    I don't know about your model but on my 92 Eldo there were 2 lines molded into the upper sides of the rubber shroud surrounding the blower assembly with the words "Cut Here" molded in. When you cut along those lines it was much easier to get the blower unit up and out and down and in and when you're done there's almost no gap and I didn't notice any drop off in air flow when I was done.
    ------------------------
    completely different car - and engine -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.