Questions about drilled and slotted rotors - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Questions about drilled and slotted rotors in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Guess you don't want to hear I barely get any rust on my cars rotors living in the south N*Caddy.... ...
    rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Guess you don't want to hear I barely get any rust on my cars rotors living in the south N*Caddy....
    I've had rotors almost crumble when I was in the north from all the rusting.

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: Questions about drilled and slotted rotors

I bought the AC Delco slotted and drilled rotors and bumped up to the dual piston calipers from the Lucerne...let me tell you the car stops on a dime...and I don't have ABS as my system is down (and throwing codes)...never locks up with proper braking technique...

The slotted and drilled rotors do just fine and do not deter braking power...they were designed to improve it...the slots are for removing heat and friction gasses that form over the face of the rotor between the pad...the holes are for added cooling...they are prone to cracking if you don't know how to drive or are heavy footed on the brake, say, driving in NASCAR, F1, or something of that nature...

The fact that they put them on just about every known high end sports car/race car/rally car/F1 should be testament to the fact that they were designed for more than just "looking cool"...

I understand some people don't believe in brake upgrades, that's fine, I don't think cars should be on 25" wheels either but to each his own...
    rottonj likes this.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Actually the Buick Lucerne brake calipers were something I was kind of looking into, I always thought these cars could have used better brakes (larger caliper).
    Would the caliper be still small enough to fit inside the 16" rim?

Also you changed both the caliper AND the caliper bracket from what I see right?
    Did Lucerne came with the brake pad wear sensors?

Man I was fiddling with this idea for years...

And yes the cars should not have 25” rims, totally agree wit the statement, don’t know where this rim thing started, but just about any Honda Civic or minivan has the rims now.

------------------------------------

After looking a bit on Rockauto.com looks like the calipers were used in few other Buick models actually few other GM vehicles including the last DTS ('06 and up). None however seem to had brake pad wear sensors...

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I had a case driving through the Blue Ridge mountains where the 4 wheel disk brakes on my Mercedes were fading. I would imagine that drilled/slotted rotors would be of some help. The OEM ventng wasn't enough.

jake99seville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 seville sls
    Where did u get AC Delco drilled and slotted rotors?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>> or look through RockAuto - but remember: Lucerne brakes are from a Buick ......... and the rotors may be PowerStop, not AC Delco.

I did a simple change to EBC Ultimax slotted rotors and ceramic Redstuff pads - say what you will, but it made a significant positive (good) change to the car's brake system.

ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Just got all my 'Stuff" from rock auto last night so Im gonna try and get in the Garage and knock this out Sunday AM Everything looks good from power stop. Im curious how the drag reduction clips from Raybestos will work out. Has any one ever tried these things cost $10.00 to all 4 wheels . Seems like a sound idea .

rottonj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado

My daily driver is a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, it came from the factory with drilled rotors. I just replaced them after 75k with new AC Delco parts purchased from Amazon. I found no cracks or rust when replacing(Connecticut car driven every winter), and replaced the ceramic pads . Every car I have put the ceramic pads on has had some breaking squeak, and yes the pads were bedded in properly. I have used cheaper sets of drilled and slotted rotors on various Camaro's and Firebirds with similar results. Good luck with the brake job.

ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Tx. I hope to knock this out quickly , but every dream can quickly turn into a nightmare !

N*Caddy: The calipers are from a 2006 Lucerne, the rotors are for our Caddy's. I use stock 16" Caddy chrome rims with NO clearance issues...and no, they don't have wear indicators on them...I just have mine zip tied to my strut tower. I do enough regular maintenance to just look at the pads and find out where they sit...

Jake99: Bought the rotors at NAPA and they were AC Delco, not PowerStop. These were them: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...41R_0129722640 I liked them because they weren't riddled full of holes, just enough to do the job...
    They are listed as NAPA, but shipped as AC Delco. I used Centric (from RockAuto) in the rear...

I did replace the entire caliper bracket because the Lucerne rotors are 13", Caddy's are 12". These here (both sides, of course): http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...40A_0407452601

The pads sit on the very edge of the rotor, but still make full contact to all surfaces. You will need four (4) 1/2" washers (like a fender washer) that are approximately .040"-.045" thick to offset the difference between the Lucerne bracket (noted in picture) and the Cadillac brackets, as well as align the proper side to side pad placement...place between the wheel hub and the brackets on all four bolt holes.

They may be hard to find, and they need to be that thick...

Also, use thread locker LIBERALLY...

The other problem I had was that the AC Delco slotted/drilled rotors were thick, very thick, some .060"+ over my standard rotors...now you can have them turned down or (what I did) sand down the actual pads (about .030" a side). The pads could NOT be installed otherwise. After burn in, I removed the pads again to make sure the contact surface was 100%

Everything is, unless otherwise noted, just direct bolt on. Soft lines are a little tight, but work. Clearances are tight, but with use become non issue. Best part is, everything is off the shelf at the parts store...nothing is special order.

Car stops EXCEPTIONALLY well at any speed; and with needed heavy use, holds up well with no fade. I can honestly say I have reduce my skidpad by about 40'-50' at minimum...

X-Hibition is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition

This is the write up I have been waiting for, thank you Recluse. Nice real world details.

NP hope it answers it all...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.