Reviving the beast
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Reviving the beast in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I want to revive my cadillac sts seville 1998, been sitting for about 8 months now, not started, I would ...
    NYGKazan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville STS 1998 White pearl

Reviving the beast

I want to revive my cadillac sts seville 1998, been sitting for about 8 months now, not started, I would want to know what should i do like remove spark plug and put some oils on the rings, get water out of my gaz tank, anything else? or thats all?

also I have a bad alternator and want to remove it, anyone knows on a how to guide somewhere?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Reviving the beast

If the engine oil was fairly new when the car was last run, it should be OK to start it now. Where did the car sit for the 8 months - outside or garaged ? If the gas tank was full when the car was laid up, then it should be OK now - if it was any less than full and the car was stored outside, then you'll need to use a fuel pressure test set on the injector rail test port to check for water.

Alternator replacement info in Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips or Google "cadillac forums 1998 seville alternator replacement".

NYGKazan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville STS 1998 White pearl

the car was stored outside parking thats not in a garage or anything, and it had 1/4 of the tank of gaz, so all id have to do is test the fuel pressure on the injectors rail for water and thats it start it up?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Try to find a fuel pressure test set - rent one from a large parts store. It uses a hose with Schrader fitting, attached to a gauge - hooked up to the test port on the fuel rail it will measure fuel pressure ........ but you want to bleed the fuel supply to look for water ........ so carefully remove the gauge, use an assistant in the driver's seat, hook up the now open-ended hose, hold the end in a glass jar, and have the assistant turn the key ON. The fuel pump should run for about 2 seconds to prime the fuel rail - you'll get a few ounces of gas. Turn the key OFF for 10 seconds and do it again - 6 times. If there's any water in the bottom of the tank this should move enough to get droplets in the jar - the water will sink to the bottom. Now roll the engine over as if to start it - the lowered fuel pressure should not allow the engine to start - sputter, maybe. Don't overflow the jar - pump about 10 ounces of fuel. Clean and clear ??? Good to go - and the rolling the engine over with no start should bring up oil pressure.

Remove the gauge line, cork it all up, start the engine and check for smooth running and no weird noises. ASAP, dump a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON (a powerful fuel system cleaner) into the gas tank and go fill up with new gasoline.

If the battery had died and it sat over the winter, the battery is toast, too. The tires will probably be severely flat-spotted and the brake rotors very rusty - your first few stops will be iffy and noisy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.