misfiring 96 Seville - buying tomorrow
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, misfiring 96 Seville - buying tomorrow in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've looked at, and have agreed to purchase a 1996 Cadillac Seville STS, for $500... the bad about the car ...
    dfritz08 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

misfiring 96 Seville - buying tomorrow

I've looked at, and have agreed to purchase a 1996 Cadillac Seville STS, for $500... the bad about the car - misfire, boogered up fender and driver door (PO hit a deer)

now when i comes to the misfire i wanna make sure i'm understanding these cars right. i have a timing light to check and see which wires arent getting spark, once i isolate the coil that isnt firing replacing that should take care of the misfire, the PO's son ran 87 octane in it like a moron, what other issues might i come across because of this, or will it just make it run poorly?

or where can i find a thread on the fuel issue?

thanks in advance - i'm new to the site but not new to forums in general

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The car will run just fine on '87. It will cause no running problems, no damage, and no power loss. under high throttle/load conditions, the PCM will retard timing to compensate, and even then, there won't even be any perceivable power loss. Premium isn't necessary unless you're towing or racing.

Fuel requirement has been discussed hundreds of times here, a search should get you plenty of results.

BTW,

consigliori is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Triple Black Eldorado ETC, 98 ETC(HG), 91 Seville(gone)
    I ran premium fuel for years up until a few weeks ago. Haven't noticed any difference at all in how it starts, runs, sounds or anything. In fact, last time I checked my average mpg it read a bit higher than normal at 18.3 I believe. Usually it's in the 16-17 range. Go figure, eh... ::shrug::

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

Re: misfiring 96 seville - buying tomorrow

coil is 1 cause. bad plug wire, bad plug, wet plug? does it misfire at idle? only while driving? light load? your test drive may not allow a long time for you to evaluate misfire conditions. or check codes? egr? vacuum leak? lean condition?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Cleaning the TB might also solve your problem if the misfire is only at idle.

Ok, so an update, after the first post i was able to find info on the fuel topic and some threads on misfiring

my code reader doesnt show any codes for misfire but the battery was dead upon purchase of the car and it shakes bad enough i dont want to drive it until the misfire is fixed

new plugs and wires, new oil and filter, misfires at both idle and throttle

took my timing light to check on misfire, no firing on cyl 1, intermittent on #4 and #6, i bought a coil pack, and replacing each with the new pack didnt change status of misfire, misfiring was still present with the new coil, I have ordered a ICM to see if that's the issue

once i get the ICM i will report back with the status (and maybe more questions)

aburns7487 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 SLS
    Try cleaning you MAF (master air flow). There is a wiring harness attached to it. Unplug then take that off. You may need a special torx or jist use needle nose and work it off. Then spray with crc's MAF cleaner. Few little wires, just spray and dont touch. Then reattach. You could also pull the air filter tube off (Master air flow sensor w/wire inside is attached to throttle body. Theb clean throttle body plate and open throttle by hand and scrub inside. Im sure it is caked with grease and mud like substance. I just did it yeaterday to a 98 sls so this is frwsh in my mind.. Took for a rest drive and boom, no issues. One first start up keep rpms to 2-3000 to get the excess spray and stuff out of exhaust. Should fly and at least correct some issues. I had a p0101 code prior to that no codes current. Reset up arrow on and on/off button and dash will light up. Reset and you should be good to go

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    MAF - Mass Air Flow

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

....................The "Acronyms" sticky ^^^

(and every sticky in any forum of interest)

ill go to the store and get MAF cleaner tomorrow and try that, i have the ICM on the way from advanceautoparts.com, before that comes i'm game for troubleshooting other ideas so fire away

aburns7487 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 SLS
    Sorry about type-Os..."mass" not master

went through all coils and spark plugs and wires and ICM, and have come to the conclusion that the misfire is not a spark issue, all spark plugs are gapped properly and are sparking and are sparking at the right time...

on to checking the fuel injectors, i checked OHM on all injectors and found 12.5 + - .2 on all... by unplugging the injectors 1 at a time i found that #3 and #4 injectors are not firing... I switched # 2 and #4 injectors and the non firing injector did not follow, same with #1 and #3... so the issue is not at the engine at all, it's got to be with the wiring or the PCM? correct? i'm wondering where to go from here...? please help ive never worked on a fuel injected motor before, all carb...

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by dfritz08 View Post
    went through all coils and spark plugs and wires and ICM, and have come to the conclusion that the misfire is not a spark issue, all spark plugs are gapped properly and are sparking and are sparking at the right time...

on to checking the fuel injectors, i checked OHM on all injectors and found 12.5 + - .2 on all... by unplugging the injectors 1 at a time i found that #3 and #4 injectors are not firing... I switched # 2 and #4 injectors and the non firing injector did not follow, same with #1 and #3... so the issue is not at the engine at all, it's got to be with the wiring or the PCM? correct? i'm wondering where to go from here...? please help ive never worked on a fuel injected motor before, all carb...
    --------------------------------
    carefully inspect the plugs and wires of the two malfunctioning injectors -

next step is a NOID light -
    it plugs into injector plug - and the light flashes if it gets power -

Re: misfiring 96 Seville - buying tomorrow

ordered a noid light set from advanceautoparts for pickup in store... i'll report back later today

Re: misfiring 96 Seville - buying tomorrow

all 8 injectors are getting signal, all spark plugs are giving spark, MAF is cleaned and reinstalled, still having the issue, i'm uploading a video of it running for 45 sec to youtube that i'll post on here... maybe it's something physical inside the motor causing the issue, theres no metal in the oil that i can find oil looks good and antifreeze looks good... i'm out of ideas

----------

heres the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAZQr4VAxM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.