broken idler pulley bolt
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, broken idler pulley bolt in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The bolt that holds my idler pulley broke off into the hole on my 1994 eldorado. Due to the location ...
    jinx210 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Sedan Deville, 1994 Cadillac Eldorado

broken idler pulley bolt

The bolt that holds my idler pulley broke off into the hole on my 1994 eldorado. Due to the location i cant get a drill in the area needed to back it out. I was wondering if this pulley is attached to a bracket or is it built into the side of the block as it seems to be. Also any help on removing the bracket (if thats the case) would be helpful..... Anybody have any ideas to remove it that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: broken idler pulley bolt

Quote Originally Posted by jinx210 View Post
    The bolt that holds my idler pulley broke off into the hole on my 1994 eldorado. Due to the location i cant get a drill in the area needed to back it out. I was wondering if this pulley is attached to a bracket or is it built into the side of the block as it seems to be. Also any help on removing the bracket (if thats the case) would be helpful..... Anybody have any ideas to remove it that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
    --------------------------
    I'm assuming you are referring to the IDLER PULLEY - for the serpentine belt -
    above - and between the alternator and compressor -
    and NOT the idler pulley on the tensioner - or the idler pulley for the water pump belt -

and I'm assuming the bolt broke off flush with the surface of the block - correct?

were you loosening - or tightening it when it broke?

--------------------

assuming the worse-case answers to the above questions -

this is REALLY bad -

about the only shot you might have would be to
    either remove the front - and right motor/trans mounts -
    and tilt the motor up enough to get an angle-drill in there -

OR - lower the entire engine cradle enough to gain access to the broken off bolt -

you might have to remove the strut assembly too - to gain a little space - if it's close -
    but that is real easy to do -

maybe someone else has a better solution - I hope so -

Good luck - and be sure to keep us posted -

ok so the dealer wants to lift my whole engine out the car just to remove this bolt, with a 700 dollar price tag. not gonna happen. the bolt is maybe 3 inches below the battery compartment and a drill with a 90 degree attachment should get this job done. Its raining now but tomorrow im gonna go to home depot and buy the 20 dollar attachment. Hopefully this works and I'll be back in business. i bought this car for $400 dollars from a lady who had it parked for 4 yrs. She couldnt get it to start so i towed it home, put a fuel pump on it and the car runs like a dream. Seems that somebody used a metal washer on the pulley bolt and the washer shearded the bolt. once i get this bolt out i made a hell of a deal but only if i dont have to spend 700 dollars. i'll keep u posted!!!!

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    I need to replace my idler pulley and it didnt budge when i attempted the removal a few nights ago. That sucker is on there tight. Then again i need a cheater bar. Im scared of it snapping off.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    I need to replace my idler pulley and it didnt budge when i attempted the removal a few nights ago. That sucker is on there tight. Then again i need a cheater bar. Im scared of it snapping off.
    -------------------------------------
    steel bolt going into an aluminum block = corrosion -

soak it with PB-Blaster or similar - and cross your fingers -

sometimes smacking the bolthead pretty hard will help - if you can get to it -

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

I hear about this issue more often than I would like to...

So my grandfather took a hammer and a flat head screwdriver and removed the broken bolt. He scored it on the edge a little and turned it with the hammer. I didn't have to buy any special tool or pay to have my engine turned on its side. Took maybe 10 minutes...

Quote Originally Posted by jinx210 View Post
    So my grandfather took a hammer and a flat head screwdriver and removed the broken bolt. He scored it on the edge a little and turned it with the hammer. I didn't have to buy any special tool or pay to have my engine turned on its side. Took maybe 10 minutes...
    ---------------------
    you got VERY LUCKY -
    now go buy a lottery ticket -

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.