2001 STS - Hopeful turned to Hopeless
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2001 STS - Hopeful turned to Hopeless in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Bought a beautiful 2001 STS last weekend. Pearl white metallic with all the power goodies. Moon roof, heated seats, Bose ...
    DStewart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac STS, 2003 Yukon Denali XL, Dodge POC

2001 STS - Hopeful turned to Hopeless

Bought a beautiful 2001 STS last weekend. Pearl white metallic with all the power goodies. Moon roof, heated seats, Bose stereo with 6 disk changer, etc. Can't think of an option it doesn't have. The body is nearly perfect. Not a single door ding and the interior is pretty good considering the age. Drove the car with the knowledge it had some transmission issues. It was on the weekend so taking it to a mechanic was not possible but I figured for $900 it might be worth the risk. Well..... maybe not. My mechanic looked it over and tells me he cant with good conscious recommend that I move forward with the repairs. He was of the opinion that these models are a piece of junk and that it would just be a money pit. Wife is super bummed as it would have been her car.

My dilemma now is to sell it as a mechanics special or try to part it out. I live in a suburban neighborhood so I cant just put it in the yard while I sell parts off of it. I suppose I could put it in the garage but....

I would really like to get my money back out of it which now is about $1,200 with tax and license and the cost to buy a new battery and have the mechanic take a look. So here's my question. Which way is the best? Is there a sufficient market for parting it out or is it better to sell whole? The junk yard offered $400 sight unseen but the wheels alone are worth that much. Would really like to get some feedback here to see what you think. If I could fix it for 3 to 4 grand I would but I'm not a mechanic so I'm at their mercy and who knows how much it would actually cost. Surely more than book. Mechanic wasn't confident that the repairs would even be enough as there are just so many issues with these cars. He said that the Northstar engines are junk as are the transmissions that go with them.

So tell me what you think. Part it out or sell it whole?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: 2001 STS - Hopeful turned to Hopeless

Your mechanic is a moron that obviously knows nothing about Cadillacs. Tell us how it drives. Go to the Seville section and read the sticky posts.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Moved to Seville.

Read the stickys here ^^^ and in Engines, Northstar Performance. Suppose you DO wind up putting $5,000 in mechanical repairs into the car - Where do you get another car like the STS for $5,000 ?? BUT, make no mistake: A 2001 STS was an expensive car to buy new and it will be an expensive car to maintain in original condition now.

Explain the "transmission issue".

Where are you ? Several CF members are - or know of - reliable, relatively inexpensive repair shops that work on these complicated cars.

A set of chrome round spoke STS 16" wheels in decent condition is "worth" $200 - $350.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Get a new mechanic, hes a dumbass

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    Cadillac_Fan and Spacemankif like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Before you jump to conclusions, give us some symptoms.

He was of the opinion that these models are a piece of junk and that it would just be a money pit.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Expensive to pay pro to fix car.

Symptoms. When switching between park and drive you feel a fairly significant slam and also when going from park to reverse. Shifts just fine once you are in drive. The drive varies. Sometimes it drives just fine, other times you can floor it and it's all you can do to get to 30mph. Mechanic thinks it is a plugged up catalytic converter. It is throwing all kinds of codes. P0137 - 025 circuit low B1 S2, P0151 - 025 circuit low B2 S1, P0154 - 025 circuit no activity Bank 2 S1, P0300 - Random Cyl misfire, P0741 Torque converter clutch circuit / stuck or off, P0742 - Torque converter clutch circuit stuck on, P0501 - same. In addition to these codes there are leaks at the timing cover, valve cover, side pan of trans, and power steering hose. The exhaust manifold has a leak at the front of the engine, front engine mount showing signs of cracking, same with trans mount. Radiator needs replacing too.

So it's a fairly big list and pretty much points to a new engine or rebuild and same with transmission. He also mentioned the need to drill out and re-thread something due to a common problem with the bolts that pull out of the engine somewhere.

I truly would put some money into this car (within reason) if I thought I would end up with a nice car but my pockets are a bit shallow these days and gambling is not my thing. Plus, I'm pretty sure that a mechanic couldn't or wouldn't give me a firm number for a cost to repair.

BTW, I am in SE Washington State

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): None at the moment but eyeing a 2016 XTS

There has to be a reason that it was sold for $900 when it was originally closer to $50K, even though yes it's 12 years old. There's always a reason someone is selling in that situation so cheaply, most likely because they knew what needed to be done and pretty much gave up. I think that was the case in my 2003 STS. I've put mega bucks into fixing it up and although for the most part it's still riding great, there is a new problem every day I turn the key in the ignition. Most recent is fuel tank sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by DStewart View Post
    Symptoms. When switching between park and drive you feel a fairly significant slam and also when going from park to reverse. Shifts just fine once you are in drive. The drive varies. Sometimes it drives just fine, other times you can floor it and it's all you can do to get to 30mph. Mechanic thinks it is a plugged up catalytic converter. It is throwing all kinds of codes. P0137 - 025 circuit low B1 S2, P0151 - 025 circuit low B2 S1, P0154 - 025 circuit no activity Bank 2 S1, P0300 - Random Cyl misfire, P0741 Torque converter clutch circuit / stuck or off, P0742 - Torque converter clutch circuit stuck on, P0501 - same. In addition to these codes there are leaks at the timing cover, valve cover, side pan of trans, and power steering hose. The exhaust manifold has a leak at the front of the engine, front engine mount showing signs of cracking, same with trans mount. Radiator needs replacing too.

So it's a fairly big list and pretty much points to a new engine or rebuild and same with transmission. He also mentioned the need to drill out and re-thread something due to a common problem with the bolts that pull out of the engine somewhere.

I truly would put some money into this car (within reason) if I thought I would end up with a nice car but my pockets are a bit shallow these days and gambling is not my thing. Plus, I'm pretty sure that a mechanic couldn't or wouldn't give me a firm number for a cost to repair.

BTW, I am in SE Washington State

Where in SE Wa? I'm in Kennewick

West Richland

West Richland

Ah dude you're not far from me. I'll PM you my# if ya decide to part it out or get it fixed and need help

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
    Transmission issue sounds like a broken motor mount to me. Very common on Seville/Deville cars from that era. Lots of clunking there can also cause more issues if not fixed. TCC solenoid requires dropping cradle to replace. $50 part buried $2k in the transmission. Few of the guys here know of great shops that specialize in Northstar engines.

The TCC solenoid can be replaced if you have skinny hands and drop the front of the cradle, remove the front driver side wheel,splash shield etc to crack the side case open. Kind of like laproscopic surgery but it can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVNToSluKw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px3yKygwOa0

I'm almost useless when it comes to working on today's modern cars so hiring a pro is my only option. I'm an accountant not a mechanic, (not sure why but that made me laugh) Guess it made me think of Bones. I digress. Looking on-line at crate engines I find them at 4,000 to 7,000. If a transmission is 2,000 to 3,000 and a couple more grand for fixing those hidden things I see a price tag of 8-12. Way more than I want to spend. This whole project started because we need to replace one of our cars that is on its last legs and certainly not worth putting $ into. I have owned a Cadillac in the past and loved it. Oh how nice it would be to be driving one again.

I'm almost useless when it comes to working on today's modern cars so hiring a pro is my only option. I'm an accountant not a mechanic, (not sure why but that made me laugh) Guess it made me think of Bones. I digress. Looking on-line at crate engines I find them at 4,000 to 7,000. If a transmission is 2,000 to 3,000 and a couple more grand for fixing those hidden things I see a price tag of 8-12. Way more than I want to spend. This whole project started because we need to replace one of our cars that is on its last legs and certainly not worth putting $ into. I have owned a Cadillac in the past and loved it. Oh how nice it would be to be driving one again.

Well whatever you decide let me know i can head over in 10 mins time and help or pull parts if you decide to part it out

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.