AGHHH! my Seville just got rear ended!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, AGHHH! my Seville just got rear ended! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; so yesterday I was stopped at a red light, as usual I left a car length between my car and ...
    joshua2001STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 seville STS

AGHHH! my Seville just got rear ended!

so yesterday I was stopped at a red light, as usual I left a car length between my car and the van in front of me at the stoplight, I glanced into the rearview mirror just in time to see the driver behind me looking down and traveling at driving speed (approximately 25-30 mph), Im not even sure if he hit the brakes before he plowed into my pristine 2001 STS, of course I mashed the break pedal as an reflex reaction, but he still hit my car with enough force to send me into the van in front of me. I was surprised at the apparent lack of damage to my car until I started really scrutinizing the car, the impact was mostly on the rear right hand side. the trunk lid is pushed over to the left enough that it would not open, the tail light above the trunk keyhole is cracked, the rear bumper is now about an 1/2 inch lower leaving a gap between my taillights and the bumper, the bumper also has minor cosmetic damage(scuffed paint) it is pushed forward into the right quarter panel and the right quarter panel no longer aligns with the rear door( it is an 1/2 inch lower than the door) and the quarter panel is bowed out about an 1/2 inch, the front bumper also has cosmetic damage from the impact. I am glad no one was seriously hurt( I have the usual bumps and bruises along with neck and back pain, I am on anticoagulants so I was taken to the ER to check for internal bleeding, which I did not have thank God) but I am totally pissed about being hit by a texting off duty sheriff. has anyone else had similar damage to their STS, can anyone give me some pointers as far as what hidden damage to look for? I am pretty sure the exhaust was pushed forward, my suspension leveling system hasn't adjusted since the accident(not even after adding fuel. I talk to the adjuster tomorrow so any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks all. I will post pics tomorrow(if I can figure out how to do that now).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: AGHHH! my seville just got rear ended!

An accident like that is not good news - ever, and especially for you, the owner. I would not be surprised that your insurance company - or whichever winds up with the coverage duty - might total the car.

Hidden damage is hard to call - that's your responsibility............ trunk interior and flooring panel ? Inner fender body metal ? Rear suspension alignment ? Front bumper cover: Fog light ? Lots of possibilities.

Make an honest assessment of the car's condition before the accident and then use a couple of the online car pricing sites to come up with a realistic trade-in or private sale 'value'. The insurances will not pay 'retail' for damage calculations.

Bummer, any way you look at it.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    If the damage is as you describe (bowed/misaligned quarter and bumper), the car is totaled.

My mothers nearly perfect '90 Seville got rear ended by someone looking down at a phone. I looked in the rear view mirror just before impact too.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Depending on the state insurance regulations where you live, you probably have sustained more than enough damage that the other dude's insurance company will offer to buy your car OR pay you some token amount and you keep the car and your state issues a salvage title.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2001STS View Post
    ....the impact was mostly on the rear right hand side. the trunk lid is pushed over to the left enough that it would not open, the tail light above the trunk keyhole is cracked, the rear bumper is now about an 1/2 inch lower leaving a gap between my taillights and the bumper, the bumper also has minor cosmetic damage(scuffed paint) it is pushed forward into the right quarter panel and the right quarter panel no longer aligns with the rear door( it is an 1/2 inch lower than the door) and the quarter panel is bowed out about an 1/2 inch, the front bumper also has cosmetic damage from the impact.

....I am pretty sure the exhaust was pushed forward, my suspension leveling system hasn't adjusted since the accident(not even after adding fuel.
    My '98 was rear ended several years ago and I barely felt the impact. But the exhaust system damage was enough to exceed the 45% damage repair that qualifies for a salvage title in Georgia.

Give up on the emotional attachment to the car. You are now in the business of squeezing every dollar you can from the other dude's insurance company. Don't be in hurry to accept the first (or second) offer the insurance company waves in your face.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Especially with the neck and back pain your suffering.

X-Hibition is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldordo ETC Collector's Edition

"hit by a texting off duty sheriff"

There are local ordinances prohibiting cell phone use and/or texting while driving in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Cruces, Gallup, Taos and Espanola, but enforcement of those ordinances appears to be weak.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    If the damage is as you describe (bowed/misaligned quarter and bumper), the car is totaled.

My mothers nearly perfect '90 Seville got rear ended by someone looking down at a phone. I looked in the rear view mirror just before impact too.
    totaled!?? Well that freaking SUCKS! I hope that's not the case but I have been noticing some troubling signs of damage including that the rear door seals on both doors have a gap between the seal and the quarter panel, the rear right door seal has maybe an 1/2 inch gap and the left door has about an 1/4 inch gap that I never noticed before, I think the entire rear end may actually have bent forward and downward, the car now vibrates at 50-60 mph(yikes!) so she's parked and covered until I get an inspection. thanks for the info guys. guess I'll be shopping for another Seville soon.

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville
    The rod on the level sensor could have come loose or maybe a harness on the pump pulled out. Big costs will be if you need unibody straightening and the unknown damage. You could be within range for fix not total but they have wiggle to force totaling if it's likely to go over.

Mark C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS

Book value on the car is probably 7K at best, if you have a tri color paint (300 or 400 bucks a gallon + clear, plus activators, etc), or exhaust damage (1200 bucks if you could find one) its almost a given that the damage will exceed 5K which is where most insurance companies would total a car ( about 70-75% of value) Just getting a new rear bumper (not a cheap chinease knockoff) and getting it painted will run you well over 1500 bucks, let alone any frame straightening or bumper shock replacements behind the bumper.

bwv565 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Ford Mustang, 2004 Mazda MX-5 Miata GT

Had you been in another vehicle, say, a Corolla, you may not have been so lucky as to walk away from the accident, even considering your aches and pains. I had a bad accident in 2005 in my 04 CTS (to the tune of $17K in repairs, entire rear end had to be rebuilt), and I swear to this day that the fact that I was in the CTS saved my life (the person who hit me was in an older Camry and their car was totalled). In the end, yes we have emotional attachments to our cars, that's why we're here but remember, it's just a piece of sheet metal with some other parts. You can get a new car, but you cannot replace a life.

aghgrn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS Sport traded for 2002 Eldorado ECS #1427

Sorry man, but you are totalled. I just had this small fix done last week and it was almost $2,700 on my 2002 Eldorado. Good thing KBB has higher values than edmunds or it would have been toast. cadddy.JPG

Bobanna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 srx V-6, 2002 ESC convertible

Sorry to hear about your victimization. In all likelihood, the vehicle is totaled, but that Caddy seemed to do its job protecting you. The frame and suspension damage is where it will be very costly, and it may be a damage history that devalues the car considerably. My Eldo got side-swiped a couple months ago...no frame or suspension damage, just the pax door and the rear quarter (plus rocker p.). Repair cost is $4300, and I settled for some contribution on my part, so I'll pay a fraction of my deductible. Don't be too fast to settle; claims departments often try to rush these things -- your job is to slow them down, and also watch for signs of developing neck/back injury. (Can you look over your shoulder in one direction and then the other? Don't answer this question here.) The soreness and limited range of motion can take some time to develop. Make sure the insurance people know that you're concerned about this possibility. Anyway, I'm glad you are without serious immediate injury, but don't be too fast to give "all clear" signals. Proceed slowly and carefully and you should be able to look forward to shopping for a (nice) replacement vehicle. Good luck and God bless. Bob

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

texting off duty sheriff
    Of all people.

Accidents like this should be punishable by a mandatory 3 months in jail. Maybe then people will stop.
    basscatt and Tankboy40 like this.

Jim964 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 seville sls

Some insurance companies take into consideration money spent on the vehicle when calculating value. You need receipts though, in order to prove higher than normal value. Example new paint in last 12 months 9k in cost would help you keep car from being declared totaled .USAA will pay 5k over actual book value if you can prove added worth. Good luck, hope it goes well.

hello fellas, thanks for all the info, I just took my car into the body shop, THANK GOD they are not going to total my car, but Im a bit skeptical that the quarter panel is just going to need an "adjustment" and the tech also claims my leveling system is "almost worn out" he sure didn't do any troubleshooting he just looked for obvious signs of damage, the fact that it sits behind the same panel that is obviously damaged seems to contradict his assessment, does anyone have advice on how to get the shop to repair the system? also while driving to the body shop I observed a wobble at about 65 mph, this was definitely not there before the accident but the estimator is trying to tell me its from a "loose muffler". I may be being overly critical about the damage but I have always done all of my own repair and maintenance work precisely because I am so picky about my baby (STS). the medical portion seems like its going to be tricky, the ER gave me a referal to a clinic for my neck and lower back pain but the first appointment is in DECEMBER of 2013, anybody been in this boat before? what do you guys think would be a fair way to determine the settlement? thanks again for all the good advice guys. I am still trying to get pics posted but I have to convert them from RAW to jpeg I guess, so Ill keep trying.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.