Coolant Pipe Question 2001 SLS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Coolant Pipe Question 2001 SLS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just completed the TCC "In Car" Solenoid replacement procedure. If not for that clip going back in, not a bad ...
    surrfman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS Performance Edition

Coolant Pipe Question 2001 SLS

Just completed the TCC "In Car" Solenoid replacement procedure. If not for that clip going back in, not a bad job (see my other thread on how I fooled the clip into place!

Problem I created with the TCC job, a leaking steel coolant pipe on firewall side of engine, just below the EGR piping, closer to the driver' side of engine. Removing the one nut on transmission cover stud that holds the shift bracket and the coolant pipe flange, popped the pipe out about 1/4".

I tried to push all the way back in upon re-assembly, still have about .100" before rolled flange on pipe seats against engine block. Is it supposed to seat against block or have I broken something? Should I remove pipe ands inspect, change an O-ring, or just somehow force it back in?

Thanks for any input,

Timmy C

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Coolant Pipe Question 2001 SLS

That "quick connect" pipe has a nylon snap-lock that engages a ridge inside the large hex fitting. The hex fitting itself can be found on the Help! racks at large parts stores - not sure about the O-ring and snap lock. If you have no joy there, you'll probably have to wait for Tuesday and talk to Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>

Yes, the pipe has to go in far enough and tight enough to snap the retainer tangs into the hex fitting and thus seat the O-ring - if it won't lock, perhaps the lock tangs are snapped off.

Just a thought - if you can pull the pipe out of the fitting, inspect it. If it looks OK, perhaps a smear of Vaseline would ease insertion .......

Ah... that explains a lot! Now that I see the illustration, it's one of those hex fittings, I understand, as it appeared more like a chunk of the engine block casting due to the patina. What are the chances of getting the hex fitting to loosen?

Thanks a bunch,

Timmy C

found another thread that explained the whole issue. Problem comes from I think bending the coolant pipe's bracket that mounts pipe to the rear-most stud of trans cover/case. Puts an angle on the fitting that lets coolant leak.. be sure to bend bracket back with pliers before tightening stud nut, otherwise bracket will push on the tube/fitting.

I replaced just in case, tried the Dorman 800-401 offering. I have had issues with the last four Dorman parts I've used in the last year (cheap off-shore manufacturing!) Part leaked worse than the 12 year old OEM part! Do yourself a favor, use the GM part number 25689629, it's about $20.00! Oh yeah, you'll need to remove the master cylinder mount nuts (not lines,) set cylinder towards the fender, then a standard depth 28mm socket to fetch him outta there!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.