2002 SLS broken w/p tensioner pulley???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2002 SLS broken w/p tensioner pulley??? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, Last night my car started to overheat for the first time. I parked it over night and upon ...
    daddyruiz820 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Seville SLS

2002 SLS broken w/p tensioner pulley???

Hello all,
    Last night my car started to overheat for the first time. I parked it over night and upon inspecting it this morning i found, on the driver side, a broken pulley just the round spinning part and belt. I managed to get a cover off and pull the broken pulley off, but the belt is still on, i cant figure out how to get it out. Now, is this something that needs to be replaced at a mechanic shop? And whats this belt to? Look forward to your replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2002 cadillac seville sls broken pulley???

The belt is the WP drive belt. Which pulley broke, the tensioner or the drive pulley that is attached to the intake cam?

I believe the tension. It's the smaller one.

----------

Tensioner and pulley

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2002 SLS broken pulley???

Look in my albums - Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. Several water pump drive system pictures in the 6 pages of pictures.

The tensioner arm is spring loaded - you must use either a wrench on the arm lug or a 1/4" drive socket handle in the square hole in the arm to ease the tension and remove the belt. The tensioner assembly is mounted by the two long 10mm head studs that the two shroud nuts came off of.

The pulley is held on by that center 13mm shoulder bolt - you'll see it in the pictures. New pulleys, usually Gates, are available from some large parts stores and NAPA............. $22 - $30. The entire tensioner assembly would be over $55 parts store cost.

PRAY that the failed tensioner pulley has not ruined the large drive pulley - that takes special procedure and effort to properly replace it.

Look at parts in RockAuto, your car, year, model, "belt drive", 3-rib pulley and belt (replace the belt, too).

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by daddyruiz820 View Post
    I believe the tension. It's the smaller one.
    Good, that's the lesser of two evils.

Thank you for your help and diagrams. I was able to purchase a new tensioner and install it with new belt. All seems fine now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.