Shock and strut install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Shock and strut install in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im finally going to have time to get all this stuff installed on my Eldo this weekend . I was ...
    ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Shock and strut install

Im finally going to have time to get all this stuff installed on my Eldo this weekend . I was wondering of I should Spray some silicon on the rubber components , so they dont start squeaking after installation or is this an NO-NO ! Tx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Shock and strut install

Nothing wrong with using spray silicone on rubber/poly bushings and spring/shock boots.

Some of the sprays stay "greasy" and that only attracts dirt and grit. Use the type that says it "dries rapidly" - it's very runny, penetrates the assembly and dries to a slippery film - but it is not forever. Once a year ...................

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I had to replace the lower rubber cushion under one of the front strut springs. It was worn clean through. Took care of the sqeak.

Yaemish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville, 04 SRX

Word to the wise, if you are doing them you should spring for new mounts and bearings up front. On a 2000, the rubber in the strut mounts has to be much softer than it was when new. If it hasn't already, it is a matter of time before its starts to develop small cracks. When the mount goes it is sometimes hard to see (after all, its the rubber that goes bad). The car will get sloppy and sometimes develop some front end noises that are difficult to diagnose.

I would also consider replacing the rubber seats like EcSTatic said. They are about $10 each and may as well just do it while the struts are off. No matter what, don't say "the mount is fine". Replace that thing.

Chuckj19 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS-195,xxx (Daily Driver); 94 SLS-154,xxx RIP 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaemish View Post
    Word to the wise, if you are doing them you should spring for new mounts and bearings up front. On a 2000, the rubber in the strut mounts has to be much softer than it was when new. If it hasn't already, it is a matter of time before its starts to develop small cracks. When the mount goes it is sometimes hard to see (after all, its the rubber that goes bad). The car will get sloppy and sometimes develop some front end noises that are difficult to diagnose.

I would also consider replacing the rubber seats like EcSTatic said. They are about $10 each and may as well just do it while the struts are off. No matter what, don't say "the mount is fine". Replace that thing.
    Those rubber seats are dealer only parts? I think its so stupid as you buy the strut mount kit but it does not include none of the rubber except the upper rubber..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.