trans return line
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, trans return line in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Can someone point out the trans return line at the transmission? I plan to replace the fluid with Dexron VI ...
    EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

trans return line

Can someone point out the trans return line at the transmission? I plan to replace the fluid with Dexron VI and I want to get the old fluid in the torque converter and radiator. I figure at the trans would be the easist place to pump it into a pan. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: trans return line

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    Can someone point out the trans return line at the transmission? I plan to replace the fluid with Dexron VI and I want to get the old fluid in the torque converter and radiator. I figure at the trans would be the easist place to pump it into a pan. Thanks!
    The pressure return is the pipe with the quick release fitting at the top of the LH radiator end tank.

After you slide the nylon collar away from the radiator you will see a hairpin lock on the fitting. Remove the hair pin and the pipe can be removed from the fitting. DO NOT lose the hairpin or the O ring on the end of the pipe.

Now you can remove the quick release fitting from the radiator and replace it with a threaded fitting of some kind that will allow you to attach a length of hose to the radiator. The hose should be long enough to reach a five gallon bucket that you place by the driver's door so you can monitor the fluid flow and be able to stop the engine the moment the flow stops. Engine at idle, transmission in PARK.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Why?
    Because you leave 4-5 qts of old fluid in the system if you don't do this.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    The pressure return is the pipe with the quick release fitting at the top of the LH radiator end tank.

After you slide the nylon collar away from the radiator you will see a hairpin lock on the fitting. Remove the hair pin and the pipe can be removed from the fitting. DO NOT lose the hairpin or the O ring on the end of the pipe.

Now you can remove the quick release fitting from the radiator and replace it with a threaded fitting of some kind that will allow you to attach a length of hose to the radiator. The hose should be long enough to reach a five gallon bucket that you place by the driver's door so you can monitor the fluid flow and be able to stop the engine the moment the flow stops. Engine at idle, transmission in PARK.
    Thanks Jim. It would be nice to snip an old line off a salvage car to make the drain and not have to guess what size the fitting needs to be. I was hoping to just disconnect it at the transmission and point it into a pan.

Because you leave 4-5 qts of old fluid in the system if you don't do this.
    Is the fluid black or are you experiencing trouble?

Is the fluid black or are you experiencing trouble?
    Nope. I just want to go to the new improved stuff. I have a hard time believing transmission fluid is as good now as it was 120K miles ago too. Not saying everyone needs to do it.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Thanks Jim. It would be nice to snip an old line off a salvage car to make the drain and not have to guess what size the fitting needs to be.
    I tried to locate a wrecked '98 or '99 Seville nine years ago with no success.

Finally put the radiator fitting in my pocket and drove (another car) to the hardware store. Found this fitting; looks like 5/8" pipe thread.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I tried to locate a wrecked '98 or '99 Seville nine years ago with no success.

Finally put the radiator fitting in my pocket and drove (another car) to the hardware store. Found this fitting; looks like 5/8" pipe thread.
    Thanks again Jim. You may have saved me a fruitless trip to the J/Y.

You're still only gonna get about half the fluid out of the converter.
    Are you also dropping the pan & pulling the plug?

You're still only gonna get about half the fluid out of the converter.
    Are you also dropping the pan & pulling the plug?
    I'm starting with dropping the pan. Opening the drain plug and cleaning the screens.
    Half is better than none. Plus the lines and the rad cooler. Why do you think it won't all circulate out of the TC?

If you pump new fluid in it will push more fluid out, but if you're just pulling it out, it will stop at the half way point or when it drops down past the neck.
    Seems like a little more than is necessary to do.

If you pump new fluid in it will push more fluid out, but if you're just pulling it out, it will stop at the half way point or when it drops down past the neck.
    Seems like a little more than is necessary to do.
    Gotcha. I plan to pump it out with the engine running like Jim is indicating. Topping off before the trans gets to low. Total replacement is about 13 qts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.