Cadillac Owners Forum banner
13K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  dp102288 
#1 ·
The system does not work on my 93 Seville STS. As soon as I shut the door the courtesy lights go out. I know they are supposed to stay on for approx 20 secs. Also when I use the Keyless entry system to lock and unlock the doors I once again do not get any courtesy lights. I heard they stay on for approx 20 sec after you press the button. Also the button on the remote to specifically turn on the interior lights and the door cylinder illumination does nothing. My interior lights work just fine otherwise. Im just :hmm: on this one.

#2 ·
freefaller07 said:
The system does not work on my 93 Seville STS. As soon as I shut the door the courtesy lights go out. I know they are supposed to stay on for approx 20 secs. Also when I use the Keyless entry system to lock and unlock the doors I once again do not get any courtesy lights. I heard they stay on for approx 20 sec after you press the button. Also the button on the remote to specifically turn on the interior lights and the door cylinder illumination does nothing. My interior lights work just fine otherwise. Im just :hmm: on this one.
First off, illuminated entry is an optional accessory. Normally it is included with the remote keyless entry (RKE) package. The photocell in the dash works in tandem with the twilight sentinel. If the photocell thinks it is always bright daylight, the illuminated entry will not work. There is a diagnostic to check the photocell output value in light and absence of light.

#3 ·
Does the twilight sentinel have to be on to get the illuminated entry? The twilight sentinel does work because I have tried It before but I dont use it. I do believe my car has the illuminated entry because I have remote keyless entry. I just don't understand why those lights don't come on. Could it be as simple as a blown fuse? It is a wonderful feature that I would love to have working.

#4 ·
freefaller07 said:
Does the twilight sentinel have to be on to get the illuminated entry? The twilight sentinel does work because I have tried It before but I dont use it. I do believe my car has the illuminated entry because I have remote keyless entry. I just don't understand why those lights don't come on. Could it be as simple as a blown fuse? It is a wonderful feature that I would love to have working.
Okay.... the twilight sentinel is a rheostat that sets a timer. It will work (to turn the headlights on/off) only if the photocell can tell the difference between daylight and darkness.

Illuminated entry works from four different switches. One on the door handles (driver and passenger front doors), the photocell, an electronic switch in the RKE module, and an electronic switch in the BCM module. This is a simple explanation and does not include the relays involved to make things happen. Suffice it to say that illuminated entry is complex. Illuminated entry is NOT the same as courtesy lights "on" when a door is opened. That is controlled by a separate independant door jamb switch.

Both illuminated entry and twilight sentinel are dependant upon the proper function of the photocell. Yet the illuminated entry and twilight sentinel are two different entity neither dependant upon the other to function.

To answer your question, no, the twilight sentinel does NOT need to be actively "on" for the illuminated entry option to function.

Illuminated entry requires only one trigger to operate. The trigger may be the RKE (remote keyless entry) or a trigger from a microswitch on the door handle.

The "twenty seconds" that you "heard about" is a default time delay. The default time delay is only used by the BCM module to cancel an active state when no other trigger has been set. There is also a ten minute default timer which is automatically set to cancel either, or both, the headlamps and/or courtesy lamps in the event a door, or headlamp switch is left in the "on" state and no other trigger has been set while engine is off and key removed from ignition switch.

There is a diagnostic procedure in the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for testing illuminated entry. You may either read a value, or force a value to enable the feature to work (if so equipped). There are diagnostics for the switches and a test for the RKE.

#5 ·
I believe the round button on the keyless entry remote is used to turn on the illuminated entry. Thats what it said in my owners manual. This button how ever does nothing while pressed. All the other buttons work on my remote door and trunk. Are there fuses for the illuminated entry?

#6 ·
91TexasSeville,

That was a great post! Lots of info.

Is it possible then that if one of the door hanldle microswitches or other input has left on, that the system would shut down the illuminated entry?

I will have to try a copy of the FSM to get the diagnostic procedure.

I am having the same symptoms as the original poster, remote key entry does not illuminate on press of the button, and when I get in the car once and a while the lights will stay on. Usually they turn on and off with the doors.

My headlights do operate correctly, turning on at night and off during the day.

#7 ·
Are the light supposed to stay on after the doors are closed? Mine do not but I was just wondering. jadz could you send me the diagnostic procedure for the illuminated entry system. I want to get this system fixed because it is wonderful. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

#9 ·
Okay....

The problems are getting a little confused here, let me try and sort them out. Some are related, some are not. Each bold function is independent from the others.

Illuminated entry:
Some older models of Cadillac (without RKE Remote Keyless Entry) might still have the illuminated entry option. Older=1966-1994. My 1967 Coupe DeVille, and 1976 Eldorado both had illuminated entry, but no RKE. This is rare and not covered here.
If RKE remote does not light the interior lamps when the "unlock" feature is energized from the remote, OR either driver or passenger front door handle is manipulated, you either do not have the illuminated entry option (unlikely as it is normally part of the RKE package), or there is a open fault (maybe fuse) in the communication link between the RKE unit and the BCM. If the doors unlock from the remote, the interior lamps should illuminate if it is dark outside. If not, it is likely a relay or photocell problem.

Interior lamps on after night time entry:
The interior lamps should stay illuminated for about one minute or until the ignition switch is moved (from off) with the key. If not, it is likely a relay or photocell problem. Could also be a stuck or corroded microswitch or door jamb switch.

Twilight Sentinel:
The twilight sentinel has two funtions. It will automatically turn your headlamps on at night, and optionally keep them on for a selected period of time after exiting the vehicle.
How it works;
The twilight sentinel is a headlamp over-ride which says...always hot meaning always on....if...photocell tells BCM it is dark outside, if not, BCM shuts headlamps off.
Stay on for a bit after I exit the car feature. This is just a time delay to the BCM.

Auto headlamp / Auto courtesy lamps OFF:
This is yet another totally independent function. If manual headlamp switch is unintenionally left on, or a door is locked in ajar position keeping the courtesy lamps illuminated, there is a time delay set in the BCM which counts down from the last action. Last action sequence might be engine off, key out, door open, RKE lock. RKE lock is the very last action, so if there are any lights remaining on, they will shut off after a pre-set time in the BCM. Some cars use the same timer as the accessory keep alive, some do not.

#10 ·
So if the problem happens to be a combination of two of the above.
"Illuminated entry:" not working
Along with the "Interior lamps on after night time entry" not working.
Would that break it down to

"likely a relay or photocell problem."

I know you said they are independant of others.
But does that also mean that those two have different relays and photocells ?

With those 2 problems would it be 2 different fixes ??

#11 ·
I have the same problem as Murphyg. My problem is also both the Illuminated entry and the Interior lamps on after night time entry. I have RKE so I must have the Illuminated entry. How do I go about to trace down the photocell or the relay. Could it just be a fuse as you also said. I just need someone to point me in the right direction for a inexpensive fix. Is it a DIY job?

#12 ·
Damned good thing 91TexasSeville was kind enough to clarify things.
Too bad though that it brought up more quandries ?
Guess thats the way it works though. :confused:

Great info that covers....., no doubt.
Just a bit of confusion with the fact that each "is independent from the others."
Are they "Fully" independant.
Two seperate fuses ?
Two seperate photo cells or relays ?

#15 · (Edited)
Just to throw in my 2 cents...
When my sentinel photocell was bad...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...mation/79805-driving-dark-unless-i-force.html

my system thought it was daylight all the time, and the interior lights did NOT come on AT ALL unless turned on by the dimmer control.
Once the photocell was replaced the sentinel worked as expected AND BOTH the illum entry/interior lights came on/off as expected...

Freefaller- I noticed you said the sentinel does work but you don't use it. Do the headlights come on when the switch is on, even tho it's daylight out?

Are the interior lights coming on even during the day? I don't know if you said that, but if so, you may be experiencing the reverse of what I had wrong...

And... just to be thorough... have you checked the interior light/dimmer switch to make sure it's not 'full-on'?

I'm not sure if these would affect the entry delay but... they might.

And there is only one photocell... should be in the center of the dash-pad under the defroster grille... slightly left of center.

Hope this helps! :)

#16 ·
ok i have the same problem as all of you but my interior lights go on and off like expected and my twilights senitnel works like normal but my illuminated entry system doesn't work at all, it just one day quit...i have a 93 deville, i also noticed that my cigar lighters in the back stopped working when the IES stopped working but when i push the cigar lighters in the rear lights in the back go on, that is the lights on the doors? i was told to just try diconnecting the battery and that maybe it would resest the cars diagnostics i guess and it would start working but i don't know if i should do this? thanks for all your hep!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.