ALC compressor rebuild.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, ALC compressor rebuild. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im planning on rebuilding a ALC compressor. I have 3 or 4 of these laying around now , and figure ...
    ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

ALC compressor rebuild.

Im planning on rebuilding a ALC compressor. I have 3 or 4 of these laying around now , and figure I can make one good one with all the parts I have. I was going to clean the and paint some of the parts internally and reseal everthing to keep the inside super clean . I was wondering what type of lubrication I should use on the moving parts . Any Ideas on this one. tx

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Re: Alc compressor rebuild.

I think you'll find the big issue on these is the exhaust valve. Moisture from the air usually rusts these over (internally) beyond repair. There is no lubrication used on the inside, the piston ring is a Teflon type, and I think there is a ball bearing on the rod and crank. The bearing might get greased, but it's not really ever a failure item on these pumps.

There's a guy on the Audi forum who has made new Teflon piston rings for the Audi/Jag compressor pumps, so that is definitely possible, but doubt you'll be able to repair any of the valve or exhaust solenoid on these. Also, there's a plastic valve that once you take out it's broken and can't be reinstalled. Don't think there's any availability of this as a separate part.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Alc compressor rebuild.

i'm going to frankenstein two level ride compressors into one in the very near future ... one has bad compressor/compression and the other has a bad exhaust
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Re: ALC compressor rebuild.

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life . l I got 2 of these things pulled apart so far and got both of the exhaust valves out of both in one piece . They were crudded up real good. Ive got one good solonoid . and one pump I know that is capable of filling the shocks cause I just took it off. I don't plan on removing that one valve cause it doesnt look like it will come out in one piece. From what I see most of the pumps are probably good if you clean them up and the exhaust solonoid still works . Mine were filled with this dried white stuff. Any way to the test the pressure on these things before there installed and what kind of number should I have . My pump probably ran into trouble because the dam hose dry rotted off and it was running with out the filter . Ill be working on this over the weekend so ill fill in later . I do know that the hose on the bottom is only for ventilating the lower part of the motor & compressor , it has nothing to due with pumping up the shocks . Be careful removing the top head bolts I broke one off. Soak over night with the "blaster " before working on it.

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    I don't know about the compressor in these cars but when I had a 2002 Olds Bravada the dealer had a rebuild kit for those however the compressor was vastly different from ours.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Any pictures of the exhaust valve, solenoid area would be appreciated.

Ill try and post some pics later on saturday im just beginning to tear apart another unit. So you can see whats going on in there.

Having trouble posting pictures

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I created a folder in my PC titled "CF pictures". I store diagrams and pics there, in folders for each system. CF allows us 20 mb of attachment storage, so you'll need to resize any digital pic down to 800 X 800 or less (in many cases, the site will not accept larger size uploads).

When you want to post a pic, you start your text post ..... then click "go advanced" and "manage attachments". Browse to your pic folder, click the one you want, and upload it. Close the attachment window (tab at the bottom) and hit "submit reply" when you're finished with the text.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

That is in remarkably good condition. I might still have a pump taken apart that has a rusted out internal. Likewise, mine failed after the intake hose crumbled and the pump was sucking in road dirt and moisture.

The lower hose on these is a breather--can't have a sealed crankcase.

I plan on posting more pics on this later. I got that from Denver on ebay but the pump was weak so I took some parts from that one and put them on mine . The piston ring on that one appeared to be like a a rubber o ring.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.