Why is my caddy running worse after tb cleaning
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Why is my caddy running worse after tb cleaning in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Alright cleaned my throttle body the other day on my 95 seville. It was pretty gun led up around the ...
    mycaddystinks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville

Why is my caddy running worse after tb cleaning

Alright cleaned my throttle body the other day on my 95 seville. It was pretty gun led up around the butterfly. So cleaned it then took it for a test drive to suck all the remaining cleaner out of the intake and to dry it up. Started it up went through its dio and idles at 750. Now here's the problems that I'm having,
    1. When driving at any speen when you let off the gas the rpms will stay the same, say 25 they'll be at 1500, 45 at around 2000 and won't run down till I reduce speed. But as soon as at a stop rs back to 750.
    2. This will sound weird it does to me, when I put it in drive it goes into gear soft, and it takes till 35 and 2000 grand to shift into I'm assuming third. Anyways seems longer to shift and again shifts softer then normal. Fluid is fine ect. I'm use to driving Junkers so if it shifting normal I problay wouldn't even know, I'd just think it was wrong.
    3. I know it has a leaking fpr I'm fixing it tomorrow as son as part is here.

So here's what I'm thinking is the problem. After cleaning Tb is when it all started. I'm thinking carbon was causing the dripping gas to atomizer in the intake a little slower therefore not causeing the driving rpms to change. When I cleaned it it causes a clean surface for it to atomizer quicker therefore causeing high and richer mixture. Check engine light bounces on and off then stas on. So with the tranny the higher rs from the richer fuel mix, since it wouldn't adjust the injector spray since its still getting same amount of air, is causing the shift solonoid to tell the tranny to shift at a higher rpm instead of where it's suppose to. I've Luke's PCM codes and no solonoid codes or tranny codes. I've checked cables and there all slack and free floating. The rpms are bouncing a bit but could be the fpr being bad causing bad mixture. Basically until I change fpr I'm worrying my self to death. Atwats I'm guessing I'm asking will that bad fpr cause all said above problems since it didnt start till after the cleaning. If it doesn't change after fixing the fpr I'm going to check the tps next.

When I say the fpr is leaking I mean you turn key over and leaks out of vacuum hose. Then while car is running it leaks constantly that's why I'm figuring the high rpm and no kick down because of the rich mix. It's like the cruise is on lol I never checked that maybe it's stuck? And it leaks right into the intake. As you can see from my choppy post it's got me twisted up in my head, it's my only car and I do papers so can't call off if my car goes down, they charge my a 100 a day for it that's what I make in 2 weeks. So ya I'm kinda freaking out.
    By the way the rpms do bounce a little burnout high revs or high idle or any other common tps symptoms. I've pulled codes but none related to the intake. All bells and whistle codes or vanity codes. Well hope you can make sense of this I thank all for any help in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

FWIW, $200 a month is nowhere near the budget it takes to drive, maintain, and repair one of these cars.

Your idea of what the problem may be is all wrong. Fuel atomization, air/fuel ratio, shift points... None of it has anything to do with the TB. A leaking FPR will only cause a rich condition and idle problems, nothing to do with the transmission. And the shift solenoids don't "tell" the PCM anything.

There are no "intake codes". But let's start with the basics. List your codes and definitions.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

Re: Why is my caddy running worse after tb cleaning

you had to remove MAF to reach throttle body. did you put on a new TB gasket? sounds like you have a vacuum leak. check all hoses and fittings around the TB. disconnect battery and see if that has an affect on idle. maybe have a 2nd person push the gas pedal and you can check throttle movement under hood.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm thinking carbon was causing the dripping gas to atomizer in the intake a little slower therefore not causeing the driving rpms to change. When I cleaned it it causes a clean surface for it to atomizer quicker therefore causeing high and richer mixture.
    That's pure fantasy. The fuel is injected just prior to the intake valve, well down stream of the TB. Replace the FPR first and see what happens. Also pull the DTC's, post them AND their definitions. See the DTC Sticky if you need help.

P.S.
    How exactly did you clean the TB? We have had people simply spray the intake at idle and think they where cleaning it?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    You would think a vac leak would throw an emission code

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Generally it should.

mycaddystinks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville

I got the problem fixed same day I posted without running any diamond tics or pulling codes. Just researching the problem and using my brain. To many rely on computers to tell them what to do. My grandparents spent over 5 grand at a shop because the guy had to keep running it on a computer. Thing is a computer won't pick up a mechanical failure in this case bad gas fillneck.

In my opinion most "school" trained people whether mechanics or doctors rely on a program to tell them what it is. Yes I did research the problem and found the clue to fix it on a Toyota racing forum, some guy was having same problem on his civic. I've fixed all my cars by researching and never running it on a 100 an hour machine and paying some guy to stand around waiting for a print out. A machine can't see, feel,hear, or think outside its program. The best program is a normal joes brain, a guy who relies on his know how and instant to get it done.

Thanks again to all who helped, to the one who insulted no thanks to you.

Also if you have to dump 200 or more into a car monthly you need a new car. Considering the few problems I've had with this car it's all been routine for a total of 631 dollars over 2 years owning, that's 21.90 cents a month in costs. And only took it to shop one time to have the drivers side stabilizer bar replaced and that was only 90 bucks out the door in that 631.

Sorry but it kinda offended me those 2 posts telling my I was fantasizing and to broke to own this car.

----------

Oh all that said and forgot to tell what the problem was, replaced fpr like I knew was bad, but needed to reset the idle by doing the idle reset procedure. Now it runs fine.well as good as a car 17 year old car can.

aftonjay33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado

mycaddystinks, you may already know this but the remark about paying someone 100 bucks an hour to hook it to a machine gives me the impression you may not. You can actually pull the codes yourself by using the HVAC buttons, the information on how to do so and the codes is in the sticky at the top of the forum. Just for future reference.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.