New member, New caddy, couple of questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New member, New caddy, couple of questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys I am new to the forum, but have been lurking for awhile. I just bought a 92 Eldorado ...
    aftonjay33 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Eldorado

New member, New caddy, couple of questions

Hi guys I am new to the forum, but have been lurking for awhile. I just bought a 92 Eldorado with only 55,000 miles and the antifreeze looks terrible, I want to flush the system but there is a sticker under the hood about some additive that needs to be added to the antifreeze. Is this still necessary or do the new antifreezes that claim to be safe for all types including the dexcool have this in them already?

Also i was looking at the motor when i replaced the serp belt and noticed a glob of gasket sealer near the bottom pulley. If you are looking through the wheel well at the crank pulley it is at about the 10 o'clock position. My thought was possibly someone tried to fix a leak from the timming cover but wanted to see if there was some known issue that would explain this?

It is the 4.9 motor not the northstar.

Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: New member, New caddy, couple of questions

It's that additive (cooling system supplement aka sealant tabs) that make the coolant look terrible. They turn the coolant a muddy color. These tabs are Bars Leaks tabs (product code HDC). You can get them anywhere, but I would recommend against it. They tend to clog heater cores. GM quit using them around 2002.

Thanks Ranger, that describes it, it is the color of mud and you can see quite a build up on the bottom of the cap and the top row inside the radiator (the level is a little down) I am guessing the combination of this stuff in the colant and the car being driven so little lead to this.

Quote Originally Posted by aftonjay33 View Post
    you can see quite a build up on the bottom of the cap
    That is what finally turned me against that crap. It was on my wife's '96 Bonneville. Remember, that cap has a two way valve in it. I was amazed that it still worked all clogged up like that.

I had a 96 bonneville as well 215,000 and running strong, just too much rust to keep driving so i replaced it with this caddy. So what coolant does everyone use/recomend for the 4.9? The dexcool (pink stuff) or anything approved for alluminum?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Seems folks blame coolant brand on 20 yr old cars. Based on age, car should be on 3-4 coolant change. Did previous owner do it?

Doubt it, they inherited car from 77 year old sister that passed away and only drove it sparingly. Near as i could gather their maintenance consisted of the oil change place. I plan on flushing out the radiator but wanted to know what type of antifreeze is recomended and if i still need the additive. Also trying to figure out why there is the large glob of RTV near the crank pulley as i described in original post.

The 4.9 came with conventional green silicated coolant, but most any coolant will do just fine.

I would suspect the RTV was someones attempt to seal a timing chain cover or pan leak if it is where I am envisioning it.

That is kinda what i was thinking about the RTV, either that or that far end of the waterpump housing, which may be part of the timing cover? Sorry not real familiar with the 4.9 yet. It looks like it is up too high to be the oil pan, i can clearly see the corner of the pan where it meets the block this is just slightly above that.

This help?

Yeah thanks, the stuff is gobbed on the end of the waterpump housing near 316 and 319 but on the edge of it not the front surface so i guess it could be from a warped waterpump housing or even that 324. so where does the chain fall in here? Behind 324 or right up against the block after 327?

And thanks for all your help.

Yeah, the chain should be behind #327.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.