Should I start looking to trade? 96 Eldorado with Gremlins
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Should I start looking to trade? 96 Eldorado with Gremlins in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey everyone! It pains me to even think about this but with new issues and continuing issues I'm starting to ...
    drewsuf82 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado ETC

Should I start looking to trade? 96 Eldorado with Gremlins

Hey everyone!

It pains me to even think about this but with new issues and continuing issues I'm starting to wonder if it's worth keeping

I rolled 156500 miles and now I'm starting to get some issues, well mostly electrical issues.

Currently here's my issues:

Intermittent problem however it's been more consistant in the last 2 months: EBTCM says that there's no serial data but sometimes I can clear the codes and it works fine for a day and then no dice... The part is of course Discontinued

New Problem within the last 20k miles: There's a pinhole in the main fuel line we've got it clamped on there but it's apparently still leaking a bit of fuel as I can faintly smell the fuel sometimes... The part is of course Discontinued

New Problem within the last 2 months: My antenna motor makes noise like it's working but doesn't raise or lower antenna....I can find aftermarket parts online but to me it isn't worth the $50

NEW Problem in the last week: My door key fobs are now not working as well. No RFA data (this is a new issue) I've yet to try to figure out this issue.

NEWISH problem within the last year: Coilpacks - For some reason even with new plugs and wires, the 2nd coil pack usually ends up lasting about 6 months, no idea why. It just rusts out....

NEW problem within the last 2 months - The blower motor inside the car randomly turns itself on HIGH after the car has been parked and turned off. I have to go out and check it two or three times, otherwise the blower for the inside air blows to the point that the battery dies. When it does this if I turn on the car and turn it off again the blower doesn't turn itself back on.

NEW - Needs a new battery after about two years (maintainence) I know.

NEW - discovered last oil change - Needs new front brakes (after about 25k miles on the current set) I am not an aggressive driver/brake user.

Intermittent since I've owned the car: Car occassionly states CAR MAY NOT RESTART when I start it, however the car always restarts.

Consistant problem since I've owned the car: The red oil light comes on at idle no matter how full the oil is but it only happens after the car has been driven in 90 degrees or hotter weather and while the AC is on, turn off the AC and drive for 10 miles and come to a stop and no oil light it can and does occassionaly state STOP ENGINE. However turning off and on the car makes it go away...I just don't get it.....

NEW in the last 6 months: The car will run hot (even with a new radiator system) but only when the car is stopped with the AC on. If the AC is off, I can let it idle for forever in 90+ weather, AC on itll warm up, here's the thing though it's random, sometimes it will do it sometimes it wont. We've done a pressure test on the system and there's nothing like a HG or anything going on it. -- It is using about a pint of coolant every oil change though....

NEW within the last 2 months: The wipers will only work in low. When you put them to auto they will wipe once and quit, if you put them to high they will go from the off to the resting position back and forth at an insane speed, thinking it's the Wiper Control Module but I can't find ANY ANYWHERE with rainsense -- Of course the part is discontinued

NEW within the last month: Says theres an open circut on the high pressure sensor for the AC, however the AC works just fine.

I've pulled the codes, I'll be sure to add them all later tonight when I get home, well if I can get the DIC to pull up.....the car was registering 9 volts when I tried to fire it up this morning...yesterday it was in the normal 13v range...I just dont get it....

------

In the last 2 years, I've put a good amount of money into the car and I've literally driven a few cross country trips with NO break downs but now it seems like all of the electronics are going on strike at the same time.

I love this car to death, but I've got two more semesters to graduate college I really wanted to wait to buy a new car until January when I'm in my last semester (I'm saving for my down payment right now), but with all of the new 'electrical' issues, IDK what to do, I've got a bit of money saved up but not enough to put down on a new car and get a payment I can afford. I'm just scared that I'll get to my job about 24 miles away from home and get stuck there.

What do you think everyone? Is it time to seriously start looking or should I just bite my tongue and hope for the best between here and January?

------

As a side note the car runs like a scared jackrabbit. She loves to run and doesn't skip, pop, backfire etc.... when we did the injector service the inner workings of the engine look like brand new. It's just the electronics on the car are going insane and I really just don't know what to do. I was really hoping to keep her and restore her to her full glory after I graduate but I'm starting to wonder

Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

apachedawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville
    The first thing you should do is replace the battery. Mine was bad and it caused all kinds of electrical issues.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Should I start looking to trade? 96 Eldorado with Gremlins

Then get yourself to a Cadillac dealer. That fuel rail was recalled. They will replace it for free with a stainless steel rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Then get yourself to a Cadillac dealer. That fuel rail was recalled. They will replace it for free with a stainless steel rail.
    I asked them the last time I was there if there were any recalls and they checked it and said that there weren't any active on the vehicle. According to the Caddy Website: "There are currently no active recalls for the VIN you entered. If you'd like to search for recalls on a different vehicle, please enter a new VIN below." It's actually a pinhole which appears on the main fuel line coming from the tank into the engine.

I can tell you it's def not stainless steel, it's a black plastic like material. Do you have any place where I can check to see if the recall is still active ? I don't wanna go in there lookin crazy LOL

Quote Originally Posted by apachedawg View Post
    The first thing you should do is replace the battery. Mine was bad and it caused all kinds of electrical issues.
    I'll have to check it, I went to check it tonight and it's down to under 8 volts. I wonder if the battery is under warranty. I bought it about 2 years or so ago...

I will say that these gremlins and issues have been going on prior to the battery issue. The only one that popped up right before it is the NO RFA DATA which happened about a day before the battery started its shenanigans

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Selling a car is easy. If u drop price lower than similar cars. Any different car will have new issues. Might have few or none.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Just take it to the dealer, screw the website. That nylon rail needs to be replaced with a stainless steel one

so as an update, it's the actual fuel line that's leaking, the rails were replaced in october of 2004 with the recall.

The battery did have a bad cell and was partially covered under warranty (still cost me ~$60 to replace)

----

Updates to other issues:

RFA module is bad, we diagnosed it following what the computer says and it says to replace it after the steps.

Car still states that high end AC has an open circut error, however when we checked it out everything seemed legit.

Car now says NO TCS / RFA data (I keep forgetting to write these codes down)

After disconnecting the battery and the Wiper Control module for a bit today apparently my wipers are working just fine again

We attempted to replicate the blower motor turning itself on and of course it didn't (it's in the shop why would it do what it's been doing LOL) however it seems like it was a common issue for this car (common enough that he knew it was approx a $500 fix)

Oil light still blinking (even after another new battery) -- I give up LOL

Thankfully though it got me to work, and Interstate your battery warranty is horribad....apparently even though it's a new battery i only have 2 months remaining on the warranty

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    So do you have the stainless steel fuel rail or nylon...?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

First line of post #7 - "the rails were replaced in October of 2004 with the recall".

apachedawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Seville

The oil light is most likely the oil pressure sending unit.

OK here's the Codes (and what I understand them to be)

PC0603 - History - Memory Reset -- New Battery
    PC1571 - Current - Traction Control PWM Ckt No Frequency
    PC1602 - History - Loss of EBTCM Serial Data
    PC1644 - History - Delivered Torque Output Circuit (EBTCM related....)
    IP1552 - History - Loss of KAM
    AC1312 - Current - A/C High Side Temperature Sensor Open Circuit. (Again the AC is working fine and the sensor appears to be intact so your guess is as good as mine)
    NO SDM Codes
    No TCS Data
    RS0038 - Current - ELC exhaust valve short to ground/open circuit (Suspension system seems fine and the car is not sitting low ?)
    PZ1558 - History - BCM EPROM Checksum Error
    PZ2042 - Current - Loss of serial communications - ABS/TCS
    IR1740 - History - No idea on this one my research shows everything from a radio error to a seat error?

I'll tell you what, my next Eldorado won't be a 96...... It's so frustrating to find parts for this thing ><

----------

We've checked out a lot and they did some oil test...IDK but they of course couldn't replicate it.....It only happens in 80+ degrees after about 20 or so min of running and only at idle with the AC on, but again it's sporadic sometimes it does it every day where these conditions are matched, other times its literally MONTHS in between blinks...

---------

On that note it looks like 90% of the errors are related to the EBTCM

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 173000 miles Black on Black

Well the car was discontinued in 2002 and the northstars were discontinued in 2010 along with the 4T80e transmission. So what we drive are a dying breed of cars. You are right about parts hard to find like rear control arms or even the bushings to the arms. Sorry i was rambling but anyways my car has had a rough life too and it seems like the damn thing has a electrical problem all the time like the headlights going out and loss of serial data. you are not alone on electrical problems

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    I love Cadillacs, especially Eldorado's. Your car though, if it were mine, would become a parts car and I would go on the hunt for a newer Eldorado.
    Just makes economic sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafiaman111 View Post
    Well the car was discontinued in 2002 and the northstars were discontinued in 2010 along with the 4T80e transmission. So what we drive are a dying breed of cars. You are right about parts hard to find like rear control arms or even the bushings to the arms. Sorry i was rambling but anyways my car has had a rough life too and it seems like the damn thing has a electrical problem all the time like the headlights going out and loss of serial data. you are not alone on electrical problems
    If I learned one thing out of the 96 Eldorado it's to expect the unexpected. She's quite reliable though and has always made it home no matter what (which has occurred a lot less than every other car I've ever owned), if I would of known about the tons of '96 only' parts and fits (try replacing the drivers seat plastic trim....I dare you LOL) I would of bought the 97 or newer.....although I doubt that I would of gotten the deal I got on this one. Don't get me wrong I have zero regrets with this car and it doesn't owe me a thing and I love this gen Eldorado, so much so that my next plan is to start saving for a low mileage 02 for weekends...alas that's gonna be a while out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhotrods View Post
    I love Cadillacs, especially Eldorado's. Your car though, if it were mine, would become a parts car and I would go on the hunt for a newer Eldorado.
    Just makes economic sense to me.
    Must graduate....must pay off student loans....then I can buy my Dream 02

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

AC1312 - Current - A/C High Side Temperature Sensor Open Circuit.
    That's the temperature sensor that sits upstream of the orifice tube (there's one right after the orifice, the Low Side Temp sensor). Were you maybe checking the High Side Pressure sensor instead ? The temp sensors and orifice tube are located in the refrigerant line that's on the a/c plenum (on the firewall). These sensors can be damaged physically by someone installing the orifice tube backwards.

The sensor is just a small thermistor that sits in the refrigerant stream. You will have to discharge the system to replace it if the sensor is bad. However--the code is indicating an open circuit. There could be a bad connector or a broken wire somewhere else in the harness. You can easily check the sensor with an ohmmeter, the ACC module is seeing an open circuit. See if the sensor is reporting an open or if it has a resistance, and then check wiring back from there.

As far as your overheating with the a/c on, I would check to ensure the fans are running and that they click onto high speed when the a/c high side pressure reaches 230 or 240 psi (I forget the exact number, it's in the FSM).

Also second the previous poster who said your Oil Pressure Sensor is faulty--very common issue. $20 to replace that part.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.