After ignition key is removed and door opened radio continuos on and power windows
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, After ignition key is removed and door opened radio continuos on and power windows in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After I removed the ignition key and opened the door the radio continue to play along with the power windows. ...
    Fernando Rueda is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac seville sls 1996

After ignition key is removed and door opened radio continuos on and power windows

After I removed the ignition key and opened the door the radio continue to play along with the power windows.
    Any body knows what the problem maybe.
    I have change the electronic ignition switch plus key cylinder.
    Also replaced the Rap the one in back of the truck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: After ignition key is removed and door opened radio continuos on and power window

The absolute first thing I would check before replacing anything are the doorjamb switches (driver's door first).

Re: After ignition key is removed and door opened radio continuos on and power window

Thanks for the replied.
    Where is the door latch switch located ? if anyone knows how to get to it.
    Thanks

----------

Where is the door latch located at and could you give me some feed back in how to get to it.
    Thanks

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Do they shut off after ten minutes? If you open another door besides drivers do they stop working?
    Door latch switch inside the door, near the lock mechanism.

Pretty hard to miss, is where you insert the key in the door

No it doesn't shut off after 10 minutes or even if I open a different door besides the driver's door.
    Could it be the Body control Module?

OH, THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!!

Is a RAP issue and is 2 relays+PZM.
    Even with defective doorjamb switches you should still get it off after the PZM 10 min timer expires.

I see you already did something on this line but you should really inspect every single input/output of the PZM RAP related. Also make sure you don't have a RAP issue (one of the relay sticking).

Basically you really need a FSM for this, can't dive into the repair without a pretty good understanding of the circuit.

Start by reading this.

You need to establish 2 things:
    1. The PZM is aware the ignition is OFF and provides the correct RAP control signal.
    2. The RAP relays are working and there is no back feed on the circuit.

I replaced the retained accessory power control ( RAP ) ,but everything remained the same. Is there only one Rap relay? I can only locate one in back of the trunk along with some other small relays next to it.
    I ordered a used PZM I hope that this will solve the problem.

----------

does anyone knows where the Controlled Power Backup relay is located at on a Seville 1996?

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

There is an additional relay under drivers door sill towards the front. It is a backup for the RAP relay basically. Controlled power relay is what is it called IIRC. If it sticks power will not shut off.
    BTW did you check for codes before buying another PZM, hope you purchased the same part number as you have. I have seen numerous units on ebay that where incorrectly listed.

Thanks for the info I will check on it.
    In regard the PZM the part numbers does match the one I have in my car.
    I hope that either the Controlled Power Backup relay or PZM after replacement will solve my problem.
    Thanks again for the feed back.

You are really shooting blindfolded.
    Stop what you are doing before is getting to expensive and just get the FSM.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Did you disconnect the battery before changing anything? Sometimes just doing that will fix glitches like this.
    And totally agree about getting the FSM. It'll pay for itself fast when you don't replace parts for no reason.

At the time I looked for the Back up relay under the Driver's door sill. I found out, that I had a short, many wires where melted together, did insulated each one of them.
    still have the problem not sure if the shorted cables damaged the Relay or PZM.

HEY!!!
    You should kind of started with that; the back up relay IS controlled by the PZM.

A faulty PZM is a bit more likely in your case.
    Are you going to tell us about some aftermarket equipment you forgot to mention about?

So far the key is:

1. Melted wires in the electronics bay (backup relay area)
    2. No RAP timer with doors open and ignition off or after 10 minutes

Don’t just replace parts, you need to find why the wires melted, what did the melted wires caused, fix the cause then the effect.

Reading your post one more time: "At the time I looked for the Back up relay under the Driver's door sill"
    THAT IS NOT the backup relay, is the power windows circuit breaker.

At the time I looked for the Back up relay under the Driver's door sill. I found out, that I had a short, many wires where melted together, did insulated each one of them.
    still have the problem not sure if the shorted cables damaged the Relay or PZM.

----------

I haven't installed any after market equipment I believe that the short may it been cause by water at the time I went for a car wash.
    Also had a power window driver's side broken Changed the Motor and window roll up and down again.
    So where is the back up relay located? the one I found is Bosh 12V part # 12077864 B00.
    Can you guys tell me where the back up relay is?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.