5W-50 oil in 500 CI (1970 Eldorado) ? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 5W-50 oil in 500 CI (1970 Eldorado) ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS I saw lots of sludgy engines in the 80's. Was it the thickness or ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 5W-50 oil in 500 CI (1970 Eldorado) ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    I saw lots of sludgy engines in the 80's. Was it the thickness or the quality?
    I guess it was a combination. Whatever additive they where using back then to take it from a 10 weight to a 30 weight, obviously needed that much more to take it to a 40 weight. I always suspected it was that additive that solidified and turned to sludge. Our old Guru confirmed that for me years ago and explained it better than I am. He also harbored the same feelings about 10W40 for the same reasons.

sgc2c is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1970 Cadillac Eldorado 62k
    So the basic problem here is one of high viscosity rather than low? That the 5 is all right (the manual does day as much) but the 50 is too thick?
    I used 15W-50 once for an OCI years ago without visible negative aftereffects.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The bearings and "metal to metal" wear surface clearances in modern automotive engines (and your 1970 500 qualifies as "modern") are set during design and machining at certain values - in thousandths of an inch. Your 500 c.i. engine carries the same clearance specifications as a 472, a 425, a 383 or a 308. "Thicker" oil is not any more "oily" than 30 weight - it just won't flow through tight bearings as well, but it might be better for a high mileage/high wear engine.

Lubrication and parts heat removal is done by oil flow; oil flow is created by pressure.......... and remember - your (our) oil pump has a pressure regulator system that limits it to about 60 psi max, cold. No matter what oil, within limits, you dump in you will never create more "pressure" or flow.

Your last post - I'll bet your 500 c.i. engine would live a long, happy, lazy life running 10W-40 oil of whatever brand/type you like. If you're really anal about lubrication and what and why, get into some of the flame wars in the oil sites and see how other people get looney over "my oil is better than your oil".

You might also want to do some research into the oil additive ZDDP, it's effect on flat tappet cams and lifters, and why some "modern" oils may not be satisfactory for your engine...... viscosity or mileage be damned: it's the additive package.

Do you do your own oil/filter changes ?? Have you considered pre-filling the filter before installation to lessen the chances of a few seconds of oil starvation on startup after the oil change ?

You might be OK with a 5W, but I'd stick with a 10W on a flat tappet motor.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Here's a good explanation:

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

The way I'm interpreting it is- 5w50 is virtually unaffected by temperature, high or low- MAGIC Oil.
    Resists thickening when cold, resists thinning when hot.

Yes I do my own changes and always fill the filter at least partially to avoid dry starts.

With regards to ZDDP what do you recommend for the 500 motor?

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

FWIW I run 15W-40 in my '70 Eldorado.
    Over here they call it classics oil... and I only drive it in the spring and summer when the weather is nice.

I made the mistake putting full synthetic oil in the car which was the reason I had the engine completely overhauled bacause it ruined the valves.

Shell Rotella is one that is supposed to have higher ZDDP levels. There is another one that starts with a D (Devron, Delcon, Delron, something like that), but the name escapes me. Someone will remember it. I think most any diesel rated oil also has higher ZDDP levels.

It's really safe and a good idea to use a diesel oil for a car like this? And I've used synthetic before (the aforementioned 15W-50 was Mobil 1). From a technical at standpoint how is synthetic detrimental to a motor like this?

And are there any standalone zinc ZDDP additives or is the diesel oil really the best to use?
    Maybe something like an additive plus Mobil 5000 10W-40 would suffice? What do you think?

I also routinely run about 8-10 oz of Marvel Mystery oil per tank fill-up and I use 93 octane, Lucas octane boost and a Gunk lead substitute as well.
    And recently I Seafoam'd it.

Forget that ANY oil might be "diesel rated". Yes, it may contain more ash dispersant, but that's not bad. Otherwise, the Fleet/Marine oils are ALL rated for gasoline and diesel service - read the API oil classification bullseye on the oil jug.

The flip side of "Is it really safe and a good idea ......." might be (in your case) "Is it really safe and a good idea to use a multi-viscosity oil specifically not recommended for my engine by GM ?".

Don't believe ANY of us in here - do your own homework: Google "gasoline engine oil api designation" or something close. For starters - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil

Who starts these old wives' tales about "diesel oil" and gasoline engines, anyway ??

Figure out what "SL" means and what "CI-4" means.......... note that both are on the same bullseye ...........
    70eldo likes this.

I KNOW what they mean. And we're up to SN now.

If you know what the API designations mean, then what is the difference in additive packages for a SN automotive oil and a SL/CI-4 rated fleet oil ??

We're fishing for ZDDP load and flat tappet cam protection.

EDIT: Straight, honest question in open forum: Why on earth are you dumping all that unnecessary crap in your gas and engine ? All you're doing - and that's ALL you're doing - is driving up the cost of operating the car with no gains whatsoever. If you're sweating oils and engine life, look through this site - lots of good info. One of the HR oils in a 10W-40 (HR-4) would be just perfect for your engine - with nothing else added - ever.

Read carefully, and note the context of "street", "modified", "blown", etc. in the oil descriptions.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/

Are you saying that 43 years ago the types of regular motor oil one would've put in an Eldorado with a 500 motor contained that much more zinc than any oil conventional or synthetic (not specifically CI-4 high content) today?
    What's special about ZDDP for a 500 motor?
    This is the first forum in which I've ever heard it recommended for such an engine, and I've read hours of BITOG.

Your first sentence: YES. ZDDP is a very necessary oil additive package used to prevent flat tappet and cam wear. Not so critical in our later roller cammed engines.

EDIT at 6:55: BUT dumping in some off the shelf ZDDP snake oil bottle is NOT the way to happiness - just as in many things automotive, if a little is good, more IS NOT better.

Google "automotive engine oil zddp calendar" or something close.

Since 1999 the levels have dropped rather quickly........... and BITOG is subject to some rather radical flights of fancy - just as any online forum. You need to do the homework, not simply rely on someone's "I heard this from Joe's father's friend at Burger Doodle !".

Here's a taste ........ read closely and interpret what you see.

What's your take on ZDDP additives like Rislone?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.