Another Caddy In The Stable - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Another Caddy In The Stable in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by 13ir14314 Your Grand Am didn't have gremlins it was just the car being its self. Oh no. ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Another Caddy In The Stable

Quote Originally Posted by 13ir14314 View Post
    Your Grand Am didn't have gremlins it was just the car being its self.
    Oh no. She had an '04 with 140K on it and was pretty much trouble free. This puppy had some serious gremlins living in it.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    the parts catalog only shows wear sensors on the brakes up through the 2002 model year sevilles
    Well that sucks!

Finally got to give it a going over today.

Changed the oil. I think it was overdue.

Cleaned the TB. It WAS overdue. Found the intake resonator just sitting in place. Someone pulled it loose. Gotta find a "butt Plug" tomorrow and fix that. I think a 2 1/2' PCV pipe cap will just fit.

Pulled the cabin filters. OMG! It was beyond description. I am amazed that any air got through at all. Needless to say, they are history.

Need to polish the headlamps.

Found a crack in the lower right corner of the front fascia. Should be able to do an epoxy repair from the back side.

Was going to do a trans fluid change, but the '04 decrements like the OLM and it's at 80% so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Need to flush the brake fluid and change coolant.

Noticed that it does not have a TPMS. I thought they all had them.

ELC compressor works, but the ass end seems rather high. I had about 4" between the tire and the fender lip. Reached in and pulled the air line and vented and dropped 1 1/2". Odd part is that there is no ELC exhaust valve solenoid DTC. Guess I'll have to get under it and check it out.

Planning a trip the the Men's Mall tomorrow to pick up a laundry list of small items, rear temp slider control knob, rear courtesy light button, owners manual and such.

Codes:
    B1341 Air Mix Door Two Movement Fault - Still have to investigate this one.
    B1845 Driver Lumbar Down Switch CKT Malf - She may have to live with this one.
    P0520 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Malfunction - At least I know where it is and what needs to be done.
    C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction - Where is this sensor located?
    U1016 Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM (vehicle control module) - I wonder if this is related to the Stability Control Message?
    U1016 Loss of Communications with PCM - No PCM problems so I am assuming the code is relative to the above or are they one in the same after '04?

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I guess TPMS wasn't standard, available on certain option packages the net says. There was reference to an option in the DIC that monitors tire revolutions or some BS and will set off a low air warning, no idea if yours has it or not.
    I am very surprised it wasn't standard myself, these are high end cars after all. I got spoiled on my 99 PA that had it, it did work and I was surprised my 98 DeVille didn't have them.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Cleaned the TB. It WAS overdue. Found the intake resonator just sitting in place. Someone pulled it loose. Gotta find a "butt Plug" tomorrow and fix that. I think a 2 1/2' PCV pipe cap will just fit.

Pulled the cabin filters. OMG! It was beyond description. I am amazed that any air got through at all. Needless to say, they are history.

Found a crack in the lower right corner of the front fascia. Should be able to do an epoxy repair from the back side.

Was going to do a trans fluid change, but the '04 decrements like the OLM and it's at 80% so I think I'll leave well enough alone.

ELC compressor works, but the ass end seems rather high. I had about 4" between the tire and the fender lip. Reached in and pulled the air line and vented and dropped 1 1/2". Odd part is that there is no ELC exhaust valve solenoid DTC. Guess I'll have to get under it and check it out.

Planning a trip the the Men's Mall tomorrow to pick up a laundry list of small items, rear temp slider control knob, rear courtesy light button, owners manual and such.

Codes:
    P0520 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Malfunction - At least I know where it is and what needs to be done.
    U1016 Loss of Class 2 Communication with VCM (vehicle control module) - I wonder if this is related to the Stability Control Message?
    U1016 Loss of Communications with PCM - No PCM problems so I am assuming the code is relative to the above or are they one in the same after '04?
    Does your dash say "SERV STABIILITY SYS"? The sensor is located in the base of steering column; it is a round sensor, and the steering column goes through it. Mine is green, not sure about yours. I think somrtime in 2000 or 2001 they started to use a new of sensor with a new part number. This sensor is fairly expensive. I think it was $4XX when I checked for my STS. But the newer sensors for the newer Sevilles were cheaper than mine!

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Codes:
    I believe N*Caddy mentioned in another thread that the only time it throws a code for ELC is when the car is equipped with CVRSS. But from what I have seen most of the later Seville SLS's sit rather high in the rear.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The exhaust solenoid is monitored on all models.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Non F45 cars (like the OP's) won't throw a code, the system is not monitored with the data line, is just a simple time delay relay controlling the ELC compressor and exhaust valve.

To OP, forget about ELC, sure is not working and all this, but you have issues with the front side of the car, so you are barking at the wrong tree.
    Sure there is nothing wrong with the car, heck is better off road, but on the other hand is higher center of gravity so not good at high speeds.
    Now hearing they pumped the system without telling you the compressor is not working (or they can't figure it out), well that's one minus for the shop. I guess is the kind of shop is assuming you just want the wheels to spin and that's it (like 95% of the people).
    Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Does your dash say "SERV STABIILITY SYS"? The sensor is located in the base of steering column; it is a round sensor, and the steering column goes through it. Mine is green, not sure about yours. I think somrtime in 2000 or 2001 they started to use a new of sensor with a new part number. This sensor is fairly expensive. I think it was $4XX when I checked for my STS. But the newer sensors for the newer Sevilles were cheaper than mine!
    Can't recall the exact message now, but I think it was "Service Stability System". I'll have to look into the sensor and see how much work is involved. Looking at the gmpartsgiant diagram it looks like a lot of work to get at. They call it a steering wheel position sensor and list it for $64.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the SSS dash message should display with that code and it probably is the steering position sensor
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Well the trip to the men's mall was rather productive. Found about 90% of the small cosmetic things we needed, not to mention the small pocket items. I now have enough fuses, head lamps and FPRs to last a lifetime or two.

I did happen on a nice wood grain shift knob, but the stubborn leather one is fighting me like there is no tomorrow. It will not budge. Anyone have an ideas. I even tried to open the sun roof, stand up and straddle the console for better leverage and pull, but had no luck.

Also ran across a nice wood grain steering wheel or two, but did not have the tools nor ambition to pull it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    the SSS dash message should display with that code and it probably is the steering position sensor
    The message did not redisplay today.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I've probably pulled 10+ of these knobs for one reason or another. I shift into 3 or 2, put my arm on the edge of the arm rest, and just pull up (lever up?) HARD with my fore arm. Maybe try giving it a few twisting motions with both hands around it first?

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    Yea that usually works^^ I'm with sub on the brake pad sensors and as for tpms deleted those when I did the new rims..... Overall looks like a clean car always liked that color too.....a wood wheel and shifter seem to make a world of difference on interior design

I've twisted, pulled, pried, cursed and threatened. It won't budge. The car I pulled the wood knob off of came off effortlessly. I'm at a loss. I may have to rig something up and try a slide hammer.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Woodgrain wheel would compliment that Seville nicely

Yes it would. Considering how well it was optioned I am surprised it was not added.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.