ABS pump replacement?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, ABS pump replacement? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hello cadillac enthusiasts! i am new to this site but i am not new to forums. i have just purchased ...
    alexmaj22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 sls

ABS pump replacement?

hello cadillac enthusiasts! i am new to this site but i am not new to forums. i have just purchased a 2003 cadillac sls with 130,000 miles. i love the car, it was everything i was expecting out of a cadillac. after replacing the brakes on all four corners (pads and rotors) i had a code abs 1235 i believe? it was a rr wheel speed sensor if i'm not mistaken. i found that i had not clipped up the wire that runs with the parking brake cable. either way that code is gone but i am now getting error codes c1214 and c1248. is there any way the wheel speed sensor failed completely which would create the open circuit code? if not what could it be? i have been reading that it could be the ebtcm, but i figured i would check here before i started to throw money and time at it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

Re: Error codes ABS C1214 and C1248!!!

it is customary to include the definitions of codes you may have -
    no one has them all memorized -

i apologize, C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open
    C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On

it is my understanding that c1248 is turned on due to c1214.

any ideas so far? should i start with replacing the rr wheel speed sensor that i was having trouble with?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmaj22 View Post
    ....C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open.
    First things first. And there is no need to apologize.

C1214 can be, and frequently is, caused by a corroded/rusted/oxidized EBTCM pump motor chassis ground connection.

The EBTCM and the associated wire harness can be accessed by removing the bottom air management panel, or the LF wheel well trim. Your choice.

There is an EBTCM pump motor chassis ground wire (black) that exits the side of the motor and is connected to a chassis ground point. That wire should be in place and the connection should be clean, as in making good electrical contact.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    That code points to a "non serviceable" relay inside the EBTCM. You could try inspecting/cleaning the EBTCM connector and ground. Follow the steel brake lines from the master cylinder to find it.

You could try opening the EBTCM, and checking for bad solder joints at the relays. Otherwise, a used one is acceptable, as failure is not common.

So as far as the code is concerned it is pretty much just for the ebtcm and related connections? And if the connections are in fact clean, and there are good grounds it would most likely be the ebtcm?

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmaj22 View Post
    So as far as the code is concerned it is pretty much just for the ebtcm and related connections? And if the connections are in fact clean, and there are good grounds it would most likely be the ebtcm?
    With a 10+ year old car, there is no "pretty much" anything!
    A logical diagnosis is the path to an effective (least expensive) repair.

Where would be a good place to start looking for a replacement ebtcm?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Try this - posted in here a couple of years ago.

http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

ABS pump replacement?

hello, i posted a thread about a month ago about replacing an abs module on a 2003 cadillac sls. i have codes c1214 and c1248. they are system relay contact or coil open circuit, and ebcm turned the red brake indicator on, respectively. i have recently replaced my ebtcm module with a salvage yard sourced part to no avail. is there any way that i need to replace the pump and all? is the short that is pulling the code in the pump itself? or is it more likely that the used part is bad?

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 171000 miles Black on Black

Re: ABS pump replacement?

this is my opinion you should have just replaced the whole assembly and been done with it and yes the salvage yard ebtcm could have been bad

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The system relay is part of the EBTCM (the controller part, not the part with the BPMV and valves).
    So by replacing EBTCM the issue should be solved.

Here is what the FSM has to say about it:

The system relay is energized when the ignition is ON. The system relay supplies voltage to the solenoid valves and the pump motor. This voltage is referred to as the system voltage.
    The electronic brake control module (EBCM) controls each solenoid valve by grounding the solenoid.
    The EBCM controls the pump motor by grounding the control circuit. The pump serves 2 purposes:
     Transfers brake fluid from the brake calipers to the master cylinder reservoir during pressure decrease events.
     Transfers brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir to the brake calipers during pressure increase events.
    Conditions for Running the DTC
     The ignition voltage is greater than 10.5 volts.
     The system relay is commanded ON.
    Conditions for Setting the DTC
    The system voltage is less than 8 volts for 0.23 seconds.
    Action Taken When the DTC Sets
    If equipped, the following actions occur:
     The EBCM disables the DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES for the duration of the ignition cycle.
     The ABS indicator turns ON.
     The Traction Control indicator turns ON.
     The DIC displays the Service Stability System message.
     The EBCM will also set DTC C1248.
     The red Brake warning indicator turns ON.
    Conditions for Clearing the DTC
     The condition for the DTC is no longer present and the DTC is cleared with a scan tool.
     The EBCM automatically clears the history DTC when a current DTC is not detected in 100 consecutive drive cycles.
    Diagnostic Aids
    The system relay is integral to the EBCM. The relay is not serviceable.

I have not seen a ‘00+ EBTCM controller module, but I know that in a ’97 module the relay is TOTALLY serviceable if you have a soldering gun and a T15 bit.
    However you mentioned the EBTCM was already replaces and you still get the same codes. This is at least odd. Have you cleared the codes after replacement? I would be hunting for connection issues in the EBTCM connector.
    Also the FSM indicates to disconnect the BPMV connector (the small pigtail one) and test the I and H pins (resistance to BPMV case should be 0 Ohm).

Are there any special measures that need to be taken when replacing the pump? I have heard that the old fashioned method of bleeding will not work... I have seen other sites mention that the pump needs to be activated in order to get all of the air out. Right now my car is at least driveable and I dont want to cause any more harm.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The '96+ EBTCM do have the option to automatically bleed the system (if a TECHII is used).
    But the old fashion method is the primary procedure for bleeding the brakes (the automated procedure is just a convenient alternative).

So what you hear was WRONG.
    Also has NOTHING to do with the codes you get.

There are also bleeding tools, basically a hose attached to the bleeder valve that sucks the air and fluid without the need of having a helper to press the brake pedal. Also not mandatory or better performing, just more convenient.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.