95 Eldorado - Code P 056 current, car runs terrible, lurches, misses, awful
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 95 Eldorado - Code P 056 current, car runs terrible, lurches, misses, awful in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I could use some help here, I pulled this code using the manual method and I think this code means ...
    Rasmus Fog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

95 Eldorado - Code P 056 current, car runs terrible, lurches, misses, awful

I could use some help here, I pulled this code using the manual method and I think this code means a sensor to the transmission input shaft is bad. My level is Jr. Woodchuck III, experienced on Corvette OBDI & II, any and all help appreciated. Low mileage Eldorado car is worth saving. Thanks

If that sensor is the problem I have no idea where it is located so any help is appreciated twice!
    Chuck

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 95 Eldorado - Code PO56 current, car runs terrible, lurches, misses, awful

IF it is the Input Speed Sensor (ISS), that's a $50 part buried $2,000 in labor inside the transmission. Its replacement requires transmission removal and disassembly.

Use the link in the sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes" to get to the code definitions for OBD1 codes.

There are several recent threads with a diagram of all 4T80E sensors and switches - but it's a 1998 and later transmission so there are a couple of differences - but not the ISS, unfortunately. The diagram is also in my albums.

A faulty ISS will not cause an engine miss - that's another bugaboo somewhere.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 95 Eldorado - Code P 056 current, car runs terrible, lurches, misses, awful

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus Fog View Post
    If that sensor is the problem I have no idea where it is located so any help is appreciated twice!
    Chuck
    Attached Images

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus Fog View Post
    Chuck
    The transmission is driven by an input shaft and articulated link chain, very similar to a stock timing chain setup. The ISS is inside the chain run loop with it's Hall effect end in extremely close proximity to the input gear teeth.

It is used by the PCM/ECM to correlate engine input shaft speed with transmision load, gear, and shift functions.

Thanks guys for your info & advice, I understand, P056 is not good news. Is there anything else I should know about that would cause that code in error? I suspect the value of this vehicle just took a nose dive. Anything else?

Vehicle was towed to local mechanic shop, he replace a couple of coil packs and the TPS. Engine runs good now and vehicle can be driven. Price was reasonable too. No conclusion on the 056 error code. Thanks for the input / support guys!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.