Does a clamp belong on the flex duct resonator hole ? 2002 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Does a clamp belong on the flex duct resonator hole ? 2002 STS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I recently bought a 2002 STS and took the air intake assembly apart this morning to check the air filter ...
    LloydCFerguson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC, 2002 STS

Does a clamp belong on the flex duct resonator hole ? 2002 STS

I recently bought a 2002 STS and took the air intake assembly apart this morning to check the air filter and clean the throttle body (though it might improve the fuel economy a bit). When I took the upper assembly off the air intake (not sure what it does or what they call it, maybe a muffler or resonator) there was a worm clamp around the connection going to the air intake tube and it appeared that it was not put back on correctly. STS Air Intake.jpg The clamp doesn't like it belongs there or is mounted the wrong way around it almost seems that this would snap together without a clamp. Does anybody know if this is correct and/or which way the clamp should be oriented.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Does Clamp Belong on Uppoer Air Box Assembly

That hole is for the intake resonator assembly. The engine will not run correctly with that hole open or not properly clamped due to the divorced MAF next to it.

Go to a hardware store and find a 2" pipe cap or a proper sized PVC pipe cap and clamp it in the hole - discard the resonator and use a suitable machine screw in place of the Torx screw in the top of the PCM box cover.

Pictures of this in my albums - The Community tab, Albums, the red Seville. 2 albums, 6 pages of stuff for your car.

The original factory clamp on that hole neck was a non-adjustable spring clamp - most of them have been replaced by your band clamp. I discarded my reasonator 7 years ago and have never regretted it - it sure makes engine and parts checks a whole lot easier.

FYI, The transmission is a dry sump unit - there should be NO FLUID on the transmission black plastic dipstick with the engine off. Check level with the engine hot (> 10 mile run) idling in P on a level surface. That little metal wiggle cap and hose clipped to the throttle cable bracket is the transmission vent hose.

What is the build date on the sticker on the driver's door edge ???

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The part you removed is the resonator. It quiets induction noises (though mine is removed, and I hear essentially no difference).

The factory clamp is one time use. A hose clamp is too wide, and the resonator will not sit right, and eventually falls out.

Best thing to do would be to leave the resonator off, and plug the hole - The "butt plug mod".

It makes air filter changes and trans fluid level checks much easier, and you don't have to worry about it coming loose and causing a vacuum leak.

Oops, sub beat me.

LloydCFerguson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC, 2002 STS

Re: Does Clamp Belong on Uppoer Air Box Assembly

Thanks for the quick reply! I think I have the resonator back on correctly now, the last person didn't screw in the Torx head stud that the resonator slips over, once I corrected that the resonator lined up perfectly with the hole in the intake tube. I couldn't find a good position for the clamp where I could loosen it with a screwdriver so i used a ratchet. I'll probably take it apart again next weekend to check the transmission level as you suggested.

My build date is 11/01.

Problem is, the engine has to be running to check the transmission fluid level.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Does a clamp belong on the flex duct resonator hole ? 2002 STS

11/01 = CVRSS STS. (F45 active suspension, FE3 spring package.)

When you go through the drill to check transmision fluid level, stuff a rattle can paint cap in the open resonator hole so the engine will run/idle correctly.

I used a PVC pipe cap, painted black.

divine97godly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 Sts
    Does it have to be a PVC pipe cap I just replace the resonator with a rubber material cap?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Does a clamp belong on the flex duct resonator hole ? 2002 STS

Any cap that will plug the hole will work.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    I used a PVC pipe cap, painted black.
    Same here. Just did that to my daughters car. Looks like it came from the factory that way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.