'01 Eldroado Keyless entry Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, '01 Eldroado Keyless entry Issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello to everyone- Brand new to the forum, and this is my first newer Cadillac. Its a 2001 Eldorado ETC ...
    andydale is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ETC

Question '01 Eldroado Keyless entry Issues

Hello to everyone-

Brand new to the forum, and this is my first newer Cadillac.
    Its a 2001 Eldorado ETC w/ only 17k on the clock.
    Still has new car smell in it, which I LOVE!

I haven't posted any pictures yet. I am planning to do so soon.

Here is what I have going on:
    When I got the car, it didn't come w/ any keyfobs. So, I purchased one off Ebay, I have the correct part number, as I got it from the dealer. I took the car and the fob to the dealer to program as apparently you cannot do it w/o a tech II programmer.

The first fob they couldn't program as they said the fob is not working. So I purchase a new fob from them.
    Took the car back today w/ the new fob and they still cannot get it programmed, and now they say the RFA unit is faulty, and they want to take apart the drivers door panel to check and test the module.

I stopped them their as it seemed flaky that the device would be located in the door, when every other car I have worked on the device is located in the trunk on the package shelf underside.

So what I am looking for is the definite location of the RFA unit, and any other troubleshooting tips anyone might have.

I am already tired of spending money at the dealer to get the run around.

Thanks!

Andy

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Re: '01 Eldroado Keyless entry Issues

Quote Originally Posted by andydale View Post
    ....So, I purchased one off Ebay, I have the correct part number, as I got it from the dealer. I took the car and the fob to the dealer to program....

The first fob they couldn't program as they said the fob is not working. So I purchase a new fob from them.
    Took the car back today w/ the new fob and they still cannot get it programmed, and now they say the RFA unit is faulty, and they want to take apart the drivers door panel to check and test the module.
    Do you see the common thread running through here?
    It sounds like you are hooked up with a service advisor and a technician both of which have no experience with your year/model vehicle. I will stop short of bad-mouthing all dealership service department employees as that would not be fair to the cashiers.
    So what I am looking for is the definite location of the RFA unit, and any other troubleshooting tips anyone might have.
    There is some terminology confusion here. The term RFA (Remote Function Actuator) was not used in your year/model. GM starting calling it the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) at some point.

And your RCDLR is located on the electronics panel at the rear surface of the bulkhead between the trunk and the back of the rear seat. Accessible from the trunk. The RCDLR has a four pin connector.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) is mounted on the back of the back seat under the package shelf with a bunch of other modules

not sure exactly where the RFA is since i'm pretty sure it's part of either the BCM or the RCDLR ... but both of those are in the same area

there was something in the door related to keyless remotes but i can't seem to find anything in my parts catalog right now

check this thread for info on helping yourself

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...entry-fob.html

----------

ok so JimD cleared up that terminology mix-up ... thanks Jim!
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Rippy-

Thanks for the link, I had tried all of these tricks and things before posting, none of which worked on my car. I am going to pull the trunk apart tonight and look for the RCDLR in the trunk per JimD's post.

I might be looking you up for parts if needed, I feel like the dealership here is a bunch of idiots! I will not tell you what they charged me for the 2nd remote.

Andy

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

The cover to the housing for the RCDLR will need a deep 10mm socket, two up top on each side for the rear seat and two down below on the left and right, then it will fold down towards you. Pull the top trunk liner (not the lid) first to reveal the cover

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

If they want to remove the door panel to get to the RFA then find another dealership. As everybody mentioned the module is accessible from the trunk from inside the car after removing the rear seat back rest.
    '98+ cars do require TechII for programming the remotes.
    If you can find a RFA with its remotes you can just swap the module and use the remotes w/o the need of reprogramming (thus no need of TechII)

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

#8 is your RCDLR

(note the FWD arrow below the module for spacial reference)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Your RFA module is located in the same spot but is gray and smaller than pictured.

In case you don’t understand the picture, is what you see after removing the rear seat back cover and the trunk liner and dropped down the plastic cover behind the rear sear back rest. That plastic cover is actually a tray where all the electronics modules are located. It is what we call “the electronics bay”

Good Morning...

I thought I would let everyone know that I finally was able to get and install and have programmed (at a different dealer, Chevrolet HAHAHA!) the RCDLR in the trunk and now have two working key fobs!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.