Cyl #1 low compression
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Cyl #1 low compression in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a hard miss at start-up until the (4.9 Seville) engine warms up good. My mechanic says #1 cyl ...
    unclebig is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Seville

Cyl #1 low compression

I have a hard miss at start-up until the (4.9 Seville) engine warms up good. My mechanic says #1 cyl has only 90 lbs, could be excessive carbon since the car is very in-town used. Said to blow it out good on the highway. He put a can of Sea Foam in it, can I add something else (with the SeaFoam)to give it an extra cleaning boost? Also is there a recommendation to regularly add something to the fuel...how about denatured alcohol? All other cyls have 140 lbs...he says if I can get 15-20 more, it would run OK.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Cyl #1 low compression

Quote Originally Posted by unclebig View Post
    I have a hard miss at start-up until the (4.9 Seville) engine warms up good. My mechanic says #1 cyl has only 90 lbs, could be excessive carbon since the car is very in-town used. Said to blow it out good on the highway. He put a can of Sea Foam in it, can I add something else (with the SeaFoam)to give it an extra cleaning boost? Also is there a recommendation to regularly add something to the fuel...how about denatured alcohol? All other cyls have 140 lbs...he says if I can get 15-20 more, it would run OK.
    -------------------------------
    90 on one and only 140 on the rest is NOT A GOOD SIGN -
    sounds like a tired motor -

how many miles on the car -

It is a 1991 SEVILLE WITH ONLY 72,000 MILES (not 172,000), mostly in the neighborhood !

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The motor has been neglected (not driven) and is "lazy". Entirely possible that the piston rings are really gummed stuck - about the only possibility in such a low-mileage low-speed babied engine. If the car is driven short-hop locally, never thoroughly warmed up, then I shudder to think of what the inside of the engine really looks like.

Various snake oils and magic potions in the gasoline will do just about nothing for stuck rings. That requires a specific engine-off-spark-plugs-out chemical treatment, engine run, and oil/filter change by a GOOD shop.

Denatured alcohol (methanol) will promptly eat every piece of rubber and pump guts in the fuel system. Most fuel already contains 10% ethanol, a powerful solvent and detergent. (Ethanol - whiskey grade - is "denatured" by adding small amounts of gasoline to the tank truck load - fuel grade ethanol is eminently drinkable, so it is spiked to prevent "moonshining" with it.)

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I find it hard to imagine that only one cylinder would have stuck rings, but I suppose stranger things have happened. You could try the Northstar WOT procedure (Technical Archives) or the Northstar ring cleaning procedure (Northstar forum Sticky post)..

Thanks all: I did put a can of Sea Foam in it earlier today, and after a half-hour it actually started to run more smoothly !!?? Got the oil changed, and ran it about 40 miles at 70 MPH, and still is holding. If there is a relapse, I will look into the advised procedures above. Thanks Again. UncleBig

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

What's the compression in #1 now?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.