Torque Converter
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Torque Converter in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi,all, I sure enjoy this forum.... My caddy this week threw code PO39 - Torque Converter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement ...
    Cadillac Jane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville SLS/155,000

Torque Converter

Hi,all, I sure enjoy this forum....

My caddy this week threw code PO39 - Torque Converter Clutch/Viscous Converter Clutch Engagement Problem. (no other codes) I am supposed to go to the beach tomorrow, 450mi roundtrip, the tech said not to drive this far with this code as it could over heat the transmission. Would you say this is accurate? He said that it needs a new Torque Converter and some other part in the transmission. Total cost under $1,500. The transmission was rebuilt in 8/2009 at 100,000mi with a new Torque Converter placed at that time. Now the car has 149,000mi. It seems a bit early to go since it has only been about 50,000mi since replacement. Do you have any advice? Thank you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You can drive the car as far and as fast as you'd like with that code. The TCC only removes ~300 RPM of converter slip, at steady cruising speeds above 43 MPH.

Re: Torque Converter

Thank you for the reply, MC . What do I need to replace to get that code to go away? I assume the Torque Converter? Although, I like to keep any code way gone...can I drive it indefinitely with this code? I dislike getting the "Service Engine Soon" light and that is what cued me to look at the codes on the dash. Sounds so ominous......

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You can drive it indefinitely.

If there aren't any codes for the TCC solenoid, the problem is a seal in the converter itself. The fix is to replace the converter.

Thank you for the advice MC! I'll get to the beach tomorrow.....Ready to run some WOT on the back roads of SC.....

I really enjoy the forum and my caddy is (mostly) code free because of all the advice on this site. Thanks to everyone!! This car is so fun to drive even tho it is 18 years old, let's keep these cars on the road!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You will notice a 2 mpg fuel consumption increase - that's the function of the Torque Converter Clutch: To squeeze the last amount of fuel economy out of the car for not only "economy" but also emissions. Emissions ??? According to our dear Big Brother, the EPA, less fuel burned per mile = less hydrocarbon emissions......... locking the torque converter gains a tad of economy. The extra slip won't hurt anything, but the car will not pass emissions testing or qualify for legal resale as-is.

As posted, if you see only the TCC code, that's usually the converter guts itself. If you get the TCC code along with a TCC solenoid code, that's the solenoid giving up. Both repairs are tedious and expensive.

Can they go ahead and replace the TCC solenoid at the same time as the Torque Converter (TC)? Is there anything else they should replace as they are already in the area of the TC in the transmission? Thanks Sub, I appreciate the help.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes, they can. The solenoid is behind the side cover as you can see in the diagram below and since trans has to be removed to replace the TC so the solenoid will be an easy job.

For what it's worth, I keep getting the OBDII version of your code (P0741). I have no problems, and other than the SES light and code I have to keep clearing I would never know it was slipping. My fuel mileage has fallen by maybe 1 MPG. I am leaving for Erie Penn. (500 mi) on Thursday and have no concerns about it.
    Attached Images

Hi Ranger! Are you going to replace your TC soon or are you going to leave it for a while? I try to "fix as fail" on the Caddy but I can't determine by what you have just stated in your post if my TC has actually "failed". I thought when something threw a code it has "failed", (or working inconsistently). It sounds like that is an incorrect assumption. Is the TC in that diagram, I don't see it? Thanks everyone for all your help with my Caddy!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Comparing the cost of repair to the cost of 1 MPG, I will live with it and clear the code every other drive. It will not get fixed unless there is a HG failure and the drivetrain has to be removed (I am not subject to an emissions test). I'm not anticipating it.

On my car (OBDII) P0741 is a seal leaking causing TC slippage. P0741 & P1860 point to the solenoid. I only have P0741. I'm not sure what that P039 code points on the OBDI cars. It seems to be an either or code.

The TCC solenoid is the one in the 11:00 position in the diagram above. The TC is not pictured. It would be next to the bolt pattern under the TCC solenoid picture. #1 in the diagram below.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Jane View Post
    the tech said not to drive this far with this code as it could over heat the transmission.
    Hondas & Mazdas are the only ones I've seen overheat with TCC slippage.
    Also, a '95 car will not fail inspection with the MIL on.
    So DRIVE & save your $$.

Ranger, thank you for the diagrams!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.