92 Seville Drives Slow
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 92 Seville Drives Slow in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I want to purchase a 1992 Seville and the ad says low pressure in the engine; when I asked the ...
    vmayweather is offline Cadillac Owners Member

92 Seville Drives Slow

I want to purchase a 1992 Seville and the ad says low pressure in the engine; when I asked the owner if it was thermostat or water pump he said no and he said the car does not overheat and is drivable just the car drives good up to a certain speed and then goes slow.. should I run

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 92 Seville Drives Slow

I'd pass, unless you (or someone else) can diagnose it and you know what you are getting into and are willing to do the repair, but I would not touch it as is and undiagnosed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger

I'd pass, unless you (or someone else) can diagnose it and you know what you are getting into and are willing to do the repair, but I would not touch it as is and undiagnosed.
    Thanks for the welcome
    Does it mean something major though? The owner says can drive it up to 35-40 when it cruises at that speed not faster; I am trying to avoid a cracked head or something like that it is a craigslist purchase and I really want it for the price, am I getting into trouble or is it hard to tell
    vmayweather

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Could be several things, impossible to say without more information.

It has nothing to do with a cracked head.

Catalytic converter? Low fuel pressure? Transmission slipping?...

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by vmayweather View Post
    Thanks for the welcome
    Does it mean something major though? The owner says can drive it up to 35-40 when it cruises at that speed not faster; I am trying to avoid a cracked head or something like that it is a craigslist purchase and I really want it for the price, am I getting into trouble or is it hard to tell
    vmayweather
    -----------------------
    ad says low pressure in the engine

that's "craigslist code" for
    I had it checked out - mechanic says the engine has little to no compression -
    and barely runs - needs a new motor -
    ---------------

offer $200 for the car -

if the problem turns out to be a major expense -
    you can scrap the car and get your investment back -

rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

This is the kind of thread I wish I would have posted prior to buying my 95 Eldorado. Ha.

Didn't the '92 have a 4.9? For what it's worth, that was one of Cadillacs most reliable engines. If I had to guess, I'd probably guess CAT or fuel pump, but why not make it contingent on a mechanics inspection. Shouldn't cost more than about $100.

By the way, how many miles on it and what is he asking?

Didn't the '92 have a 4.9? For what it's worth, that was one of Cadillacs most reliable engines. If I had to guess, I'd probably guess CAT or fuel pump, but why not make it contingent on a mechanics inspection. Shouldn't cost more than about $100.

By the way, how many miles on it and what is he asking?
    Saw the car this morning and it has 153,000 miles drove good up to 50 mph, however the problem is a rattling noise that seems to be "lifter related" oil is clean, said he did a tune up noise is not very loud; body and interior is very good no cracks in the leather, headliner and carpet is clean so I offered him $650; and hoping their just sticking and thats all or I could end up paying about $450 for my guy to fix it; please advise

----------

Quote Originally Posted by vmayweather

Saw the car this morning and it has 153,000 miles drove good up to 50 mph, however the problem is a rattling noise that seems to be "lifter related" oil is clean, said he did a tune up noise is not very loud; body and interior is very good no cracks in the leather, headliner and carpet is clean so I offered him $650; and hoping their just sticking and thats all or I could end up paying about $450 for my guy to fix it; please advise
    Forgot to say he wants $800 and I offered him $650

Forgot to say he wants $800 and I offered him $650
    ---------------------------
    I don't want the car -
    so I have the ability to look at it very critically -

you DO want the car -
    and are looking for assurances
    that the problems are minor - and a cheap fix -
    ---------------------

that car is worth around $1000 IN GOOD RUNNING CONDITION -

however the problem is a rattling noise that seems to be "lifter related"
    a "LIFTER PROBLEM" - is usually described as a "ticking" type noise -

a RATTLE is more likely main bearings - which the 4.9 motor is known for -
    rod bearings - or possibly an octane related piston rattle -

$200 - is more than fair -
    what else does the car need?

what condition are trans - tires - brakes - belts - hoses - etc - etc - etc -

Boy, I don't know. How bad do you want this car? From what you say it could need a new set of lifters or a cam AND lifters, and that is assuming you nailed the sound. You might want to let a trained ear listen to it or keep looking.

Boy, I don't know. How bad do you want this car? From what you say it could need a new set of lifters or a cam AND lifters, and that is assuming you nailed the sound. You might want to let a trained ear listen to it or keep looking.
    Ok, wow I really appreciate all of the feedback and the fact that the response time is stupid fast!! I love it. With all that has been said I am a woman and I live in Phoenix, Arizona is there anyone out there that knows a trusted mechanic here that I can contact here for assistance that does good quality work and does not charge a MILLION dollars?? I do really want the car....I do
    Thanx

Ok, wow I really appreciate all of the feedback and the fact that the response time is stupid fast!! I love it. With all that has been said I am a woman and I live in Phoenix, Arizona is there anyone out there that knows a trusted mechanic here that I can contact here for assistance that does good quality work and does not charge a MILLION dollars?? I do really want the car....I do
    Thanx
    -------------------------------
    I will only say this - you are looking at a MONEY WELL -

you can get a much better car
    for a lot less than you are GOING to sink in this car -

good luck -

Cadillac Jane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville SLS/155,000

These cars take a lot of "work" to keep running. I call it suicide watch...what is coming out from under the car, what codes is the car throwing, what is that new noise, how is it riding??? I have a factory service manual (FSM) and although I do not work on my car I know exactly what the techs are working on. I get them to leave the replaced parts in my trunk so I can inspect them and compare them to the FSM. I also read this forum on a monthly basis to get tips to keep the car on the road. These late model caddies are fun to drive but you have to find the right guys to work on the car and keep up with all maintenance. If the car you are looking at has lots of deferred maintenance you could spend lots getting it up to speed. Just because it looks good does not mean it won't be an extreme money pit. Good luck!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.