I need some help possible neutral safety switch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, I need some help possible neutral safety switch in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 2000 cadillac Eldorado etc . Ive got no reverse lights .. occasionally it gives me problems ...
    00etc Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I need some help possible neutral safety switch

I just bought a 2000 cadillac Eldorado etc . Ive got no reverse lights .. occasionally it gives me problems starting . My cluster on the dash flashes till it hits drive . Recently it started shifting hard ive been told its the neutral safety switch or shift position switch then ive been told its internal then on top of trans left of throttle body then been told in the center console by the shifter ... someone please shed some light

----------

The dealership wants to charge me for a complete shifter assembly and wont tell me were it is located to replace it myself

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

eldorado_sean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    When I needed a neutral switch. All the gears in the dash were lit up. Not sure what yours is. Somebody will help soon enough.

Re: I need some help possible neutral safety switch

Exactly all the lights are flashing and my gear features like my day time running lights my doors not unlocking when I put it in park or my parking break wont engage in park .

----------

Can someone tell me where its at and how to get to it

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No. 942. You'll need top drop the pan and split the valve body from the looks of this diagram.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...7&ART_SUFFIX=K

If I continue to drive it with a bad neutral safety switch will it cause any damage

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by 00etc Eldorado View Post
    If I continue to drive it with a bad neutral safety switch will it cause any damage
    -----------------------------------------
    I doubt it will DAMAGE anything -

but it COULD/WILL certainly leave you stranded somewhere -

note the name of the device and it's purpose -

NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH -

it PREVENTS THE CAR FROM STARTING -
    unless the trans is in either neutral - or park -

WHEN that switch completely fails -
    you will NOT be able to start the engine -

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Wait, you have an electrical issue from what you describe.
    PRND321 flashing means the shifter position switch is in an intermediary position (in between gears), that DOE NOT means the transmission is too.
    The shifter is linked to a shaft on top of the transmission trough the shifter cable. On top of that shaft (on the transmission just behind the throttle body) is the shift position switch. There are 2 ways to adjusting depending on what the issue is:
    1. Cable length adjustment (in case say you never get it to shift first or last position) or it has the tendency to go in between gears allot.
    2. Adjust the shifter position switch assembly (is held in ~3 screws) and although is not adjustable (say slotted holed) it has a bit of wiggle whit the screws loose. 1/2 of a degree wiggle in either direction makes a huge difference.
    Normally the cable adjustment should be enough.
    Now we can always look at faulty switch (not that I ever hear about one).

How the stuff works:
    The shifter mechanism had PRND321 - 7 positions (or clicks) in the actual shifter mechanism (in the center console).
    The transmission shifter shaft also has the same 7 position (as you turn it with the cable disconnected you feel the same 7 clicks). The far right (turning counter clockwise) position is P and as you turn clockwise you get to R, N, ...2, 1.
    Whit the cable adjusted each click on the shifter mechanism will correspond to a click on the shifter shaft in the transmission.

Adjustment:
    Disconnect the cable from the shifter shaft actuator mechanism (just pop that plastic socket).
    Now push the shifter all the way to P (if not in P already). With the cable disconnected you will notice the shifter clicks are much softer (as now the cable is disconnected from the transmission so all you feel is just the clicks in the shifter mechanism, much softer). With the shifter in P the cable is out all the way at the transmission end.
    Now manually turn the shifter shaft of the transmission all the way clockwise (that is the P position).
    Now match the cable with the socket (do not force it) just line them up and see if you have a offset (cable too long or too short).
    If the cable end does not lines up with the socket it means it needs adjustment.
    Note where the cable jacket end mounts to the transmission you see some kind of a spring and a clip (that metal piece flush with the plastic). You need to pull the clip out (is like a horseshoe clip) and that will release the cable jacket. Now you can slide the jacket in or out (you will see what I mean when you look at it) and bring the cable exactly to the length required to line up with the socket where it pops in.
    Once lined up place the clip half way enough to lock the cable and check the shifter if still in P (as you pull on the cable the shifter can move to R if you are rough with it). If still in P and the cable end lines up perfectly with the socket (remember the shaft is on the P position also) you pop the cable in the socket and your shifter should be perfectly aligned.
    If that doesn't help and you are sure the cable is indeed adjusted correctly then you need to play a bit with the shifter switch position.

Here is the cable end and the clip I was mentioning:

Is this all done in the center console or both .. under the hood too

----------

The trans itself works perfectly what kind of electrical problems can it be

Under hood ONLY.
    The electrical issues are shifter position switch adjustment.

So if I get the cable adjusted it should fall into place and start working

Ideally yes.

Was there any work done that could have affected the shifter cable?

Not that im aware of ... but last night I made the adjusments and now its intermitting this morning everything functioned fine this afternoon back to blinking but starts no problem .. noticed the horse shoe clip had marks on it that it had been opened before ... cables were tucked under the engine cover plate

----------

Once I get to d and below ... no blinking ....I dont want to have to replace a neutral safety switch. ...

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think you just may need to fine tune it. You're close.

Should I be doing this while running or off

CAR OFF!

Locate the bolts (I believe M6 and may be 2 or 3 can't remember for sure) mounting the shifter position switch and just loosen to still hold the assembly but be able to move it though. Same trick: shifter in P, turn the ignition to ON (so you can see the gear indicator lights) then turn the shift position switch one way tighten temporarily one screw and then shift trough all gears to check if the gear indicator is correct, not correct move the shifter position switch a bit and test again. Witch each move you get an educated idea on what direction you need to move it to get it right.
    For me took 2 moves and it was right.
    If you are anywhere near Toronto you can come by my house one weekend and I can adjust it for you, only takes 5 minutes (obviously free).
    Don't touch the switch unless you really are sure the cable adjustment alone is not enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.