97 Eldo Airbag / horn wiring HELP
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Ross
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 97 Eldo Airbag / horn wiring HELP in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am currently in the process of replacing my steering wheel. I've got the battery disconnected and the airbag out. ...
    Bob Ross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

97 Eldo Airbag / horn wiring HELP

I am currently in the process of replacing my steering wheel.

I've got the battery disconnected and the airbag out. The problem is that once I unbolted the airbag and tilted it forward to remove the airbag wire, both of the horn wires came free by themselves before I had a chance to see what they were connected to.

Below are pics of my steering wheel and the back of the airbag. I have figured out that the one horn wire (circled in red on the airbag pic) goes into the hole circled in red on the wheel pic. But I can't for the life of me figure out where the clip wire (circled in blue on the airbag pic) attaches to. Can anyone fill me in on this? Thanks.

Airbag

Wheel

----------

Ok well the new wheel is in (puller tool worked like a charm) and the wheel controls are hooked back up. Just need to know where that friggen clip wire goes before I bolt on the airbag unit. It looks like a ground wire but I'm not sure. Hope someone who knows sees this soon or I can find a pic or diagram.

It's always the dumbest of things...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    It snaps into one of holes next to big nut. It's the ground source for the horn. I hope the red connection didn't break down in the column. Check it, it's a push turn release connection. There are 2 small and fragile pieces that hold it in. Both might broke just looking at them.

Re: 97 Eldo Airbag / horn wiring HELP

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    It snaps into one of holes next to big nut. It's the ground source for the horn. I hope the red connection didn't break down in the column. Check it, it's a push turn release connection. There are 2 small and fragile pieces that hold it in. Both might broke just looking at them.
    Thanks much!

Unfortunately, you are right about the red connection breaking down in the column. When I tried to push and turn it back in, it wouldn't stay, and then I noticed a shard of plastic broken off on the white plastic cylinder down in the column where the connector should've held (what a crappy design btw). Anyways, I bolted the airbag on but now the horn doesn't work. Not like I care much as I use it once in a blue moon. Not sure if my horn EVER worked. That's how much I use it lol. but I wonder if it needs to be working properly to pass a safety inspection? Would this be an easy fix or is it a nightmare?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

I wonder if it needs to be working properly to pass a safety inspection?
    YES - I would think so -

Would this be an easy fix or is it a nightmare?
    all you would need to do is cut off the broken horn contact -
    and splice on a good one -

the hardest part will be finding that connector -

Takes 1 - 1.5 hrs to fix for me. Have to remove steering wheel(steering wheel puller) and need a spring compressor for the internals(can't remember tool name) and the new part(Dorman 83232 Turn signal cam @ $5).

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, but I ended up doing a jury rig fix instead.

What I did was take a Dremel tool with a very fine carving tip, and cut a horizontal notch in the plastic cylinder in the steering column horn wire input, on the opposite side of where it broke. Then I was able to twist the horn connector plug tab into this new notch.

Horn works now. I am all that is man.
    basscatt likes this.

Awesome, I tried to cut longer notch in mine but half the damn thing was already broken off. I was going to epoxy the little sob in if I couldn't find another one

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Guy, first you should not snap these in the first place, basically you allowed the airbag do drop and it hang on the wires. You kind of have to know this thing before removing the airbag (generally a dangerous operation).

Second, damage is done, can't go back...
    Fix the damn thing properly don't just put epoxy. I mean it takes more time top do this than actually change the $18 turn signal cam you broke. If you have one of those fancy pliers to remove the spring clips fine, if not you can do it with just a small flat head screwdriver or even better with a pick. I posted a picture of the cam and the clock spring just 2 days ago in another thread along with instructions how to remove the airbag what are the risk involved.

jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

N*

I just replaced my wheel and ran into the same problem with that red wire as Bob.... Horn doesn't work now.
    The funny thing is it just fell out when carefully moving the air bag away and ensuring the wire wasnt being pulled on. What a crap design!
    As with Bob's wheel, I found a small piece of plastic that broke off at the top of the plastic cylinder the wire inserts into and cant get the wire to stay in now.

Looking at your thread above, do I have to now replace the turn signal cam?

Other than that, your procedure from my other thread was great and made me feel I was exercising as much safety as possible with the airbag. Thank you!
    If you were closer, I'd buy you a beer!

If you don't want to replace the cam, you can try the same fix I did.

You'll need a Dremel rotary tool and very fine engraving bit. The bit I used is pictured below. It's called the "105 Engraving Cutter" (basically, the bit with the very smallest ball cutter on the end)

You'll need to remove the airbag and the steering wheel again. That will give you easy access to the plastic cylinder. You should now be able to cut a small horizontal notch into the cylinder, on the opposite side of where the broken plastic is. So instead of twisting the horn wire (say) clockwise into the old notch which is now broken, you'll now twist it counter-clockwise into the newly cut notch. Be careful when cutting so you don't break the plastic again. You also may want to cut slightly "upwards" (i.e. towards you) at the end of the notch so the horn wire's nub has a place to be seated in so it isn't jarred out of the notch due to road vibration, etc. The spring tension on the horn wire will hold it in place. Test the horn wire connection before you reattach the wheel by twisting the horn wire into the new notch. You'll have to hold the airbag while doing this so be careful and don't point it towards your face. Once the new notch is sufficient to hold the horn wire in place, reattach the wheel and the airbag. Then reconnect your battery and test your horn.

Once everything is working, a final step is to cycle through and clear your codes, since disconnecting the battery will have triggered a bunch of codes.

Bob,

Thanks for the info... Very creative repair.
    I have it all apart and will be replacing the CAM using great instructions from N*Caddy in the "Horn Inoperable" thread at the link below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...noperable.html

If your repair breaks again, the cam is available at any local parts store for about $6. It's on the shelf in the Help section and is made by Dorman.. #83232.

Jim

Finished repairing the cam and put everything back together. Horn wire locks in now and is working.
    For anyone doing this repair, the biggest challenge was getting the steering lock back on. Had to get a second pair of hands (neighbor) to pop the C-clip back on while I kept pressure on it. Used the C shaped piece from the wheel puller kit to push down on it.
    Once locked in place everything else went back on quickly.

N*, thanks again for the instructions!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.