83 Seville hood/trunk strut replacement?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 83 Seville hood/trunk strut replacement? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I tried searching the forum on a how-to with regards to this, but I couldn't find anything. If there is ...
    andrewgorny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Seville (standard)

83 Seville hood/trunk strut replacement?

I tried searching the forum on a how-to with regards to this, but I couldn't find anything. If there is a related thread that someone maybe posted in, maybe they can forward me there...

I'm very new to cars in general let alone working on them. But I bought some new strongarms to put into the trunk and hood since neither stays up anymore (not surprisingly).

If you already know how to do this, let me know, but if not, read on and this is what I see:

In the trunk, there's a bolt that comes off easily, but the other end seems to have a tab on it that I should pry off with a screwdriver (says the strongarm instructions on the package) but I can't seem to remove it with a screwdriver.

In the hood, there's some kind of weird screw that looks like it needs a T-shaped head to unscrew. Plus, it's in between the fender and its mount. Do I need some kind of angled screwdriver to unscrew these screws? The other one I think is a hex screw so I have that one covered.

All of the screws have kind of a large tip on the end to keep them from slipping off. I was wondering if I should try to pop that thing off for a quicker replacement?

Thanks
    -Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 83 Seville hood/trunk strut replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewgorny View Post
    I tried searching the forum on a how-to with regards to this, but I couldn't find anything. If there is a related thread that someone maybe posted in, maybe they can forward me there...

I'm very new to cars in general let alone working on them. But I bought some new strongarms to put into the trunk and hood since neither stays up anymore (not surprisingly).

If you already know how to do this, let me know, but if not, read on and this is what I see:

In the trunk, there's a bolt that comes off easily, but the other end seems to have a tab on it that I should pry off with a screwdriver (says the strongarm instructions on the package) but I can't seem to remove it with a screwdriver.

In the hood, there's some kind of weird screw that looks like it needs a T-shaped head to unscrew. Plus, it's in between the fender and its mount. Do I need some kind of angled screwdriver to unscrew these screws? The other one I think is a hex screw so I have that one covered.

All of the screws have kind of a large tip on the end to keep them from slipping off. I was wondering if I should try to pop that thing off for a quicker replacement?

Thanks
    -Andrew
    ----------------------------------
    I could be wrong -
    but I believe the hood struts attach to a ball-fitting at each end -

I imagine there is some sort of spring-keeper -
    that locks the socket-end of the strut -
    onto the ball-end mounted on the car -

remove the spring-keeper -
    push the socket end over the ball -
    lock in place with the spring-keeper -

andrewgorny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1983 Seville (standard)

Re: 83 Seville hood/trunk strut replacement?

sorry, no it's not the ball-end mount... This has a screw on either end, which on the hood is attached to some strange T-shaped screwhead, and on the trunk side is attached to a bolt (duh, easy to get that one off) and then what looks like one of those pressure tabs you remove with a flathead screwdriver or paint knife, but I couldn't pry it off.

I can post pictures when it's light out if you like.

Thanks
    -Andrew

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.