service electrical system
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, service electrical system in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have a 96 seville sls.....so about 3 weeks ago out of no where my service engine soon light came ...
    BIGCANNONBALLZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 SEVILLE SLS

service electrical system

i have a 96 seville sls.....so about 3 weeks ago out of no where my service engine soon light came on, and on the dash board it reads service electrical system. sometimes the battery voltage will go from 13.4-12-11.8, depending how fast im driving and if my music is playing or not. i have 2 1600 watt 12 inch subwoofers, 2 800 watt 6x9's, and a 1600 watt amplifier in the trunk. dont know if this is to much power which may be the cause of my electrical issues or not, but when i took car to autozone to get a check on battery, he said that the battery is showing that it is good, but replace the alternator and get a capacitor (a second energy source for the music) wich will prevent the problem in future. midas came up with code p1645.... Orielly said battery is bad, a battery shop said battery is good and reads 12 volts, but isnt car suppose to be between 13.5-14????? where do i start????? what does that code (p1645)mean????? is it my music killing my alternator??? should i get a second battery for the music, or a capacitor, or get a stronger alternator?????? is this common??????? please help, i love my clean caddy with my music blasting.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: service electrical system

Quote Originally Posted by BIGCANNONBALLZ View Post
    i have a 96 seville sls.....so about 3 weeks ago out of no where my service engine soon light came on, and on the dash board it reads service electrical system. sometimes the battery voltage will go from 13.4-12-11.8, depending how fast im driving and if my music is playing or not. i have 2 1600 watt 12 inch subwoofers, 2 800 watt 6x9's, and a 1600 watt amplifier in the trunk. dont know if this is to much power which may be the cause of my electrical issues or not, but when i took car to autozone to get a check on battery, he said that the battery is showing that it is good, but replace the alternator and get a capacitor (a second energy source for the music) wich will prevent the problem in future. midas came up with code p1645.... Orielly said battery is bad, a battery shop said battery is good and reads 12 volts, but isnt car suppose to be between 13.5-14????? where do i start????? what does that code (p1645)mean????? is it my music killing my alternator??? should i get a second battery for the music, or a capacitor, or get a stronger alternator?????? is this common??????? please help, i love my clean caddy with my music blasting.....
    ----------------------
    is it my music killing my alternator
    YES

and your hearing too

to figure out what you need - power-wise -
    to drive your insane set-up -
    go here -
    http://www.supercircuits.com/resourc...amps-converter

i have 2 1600 watt 12 inch subwoofers, 2 800 watt 6x9's,
    those numbers are how much power those speakers CAN use -
    NOT how much the DO use -

and a 1600 watt amplifier in the trunk
    so - you are running one single amp -
    rated at 1600 watts output? -

if that amp was running at max -
    it takes 130 amps of power to run -

your car's alternator only produces 140 amps - MAX -
    it has to recharge the battery -
    run all the engine electronics -
    run ALL the accessories - lights - blower -

during NORMAL operation -
    the alternator is operating at 50% to 75% capacity -
    cranking out 75 to 100 amps -

PLUS whatever your amp sucks up -
    ----------------

that's like putting a 4 cylinder Yugo motor
    into an 18 wheeler - and wondering why it can't climb a hill -

BIGCANNONBALLZ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 SEVILLE SLS
    Thanks, i guess.. So what about the p1645 code midas came up with??? Does that relate to the alternator, i came across something saying solenoid, but im not sure where it is located, and if it is related to the alternator, should i just get a newer and bigger one?

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: service electrical system

Quote Originally Posted by BIGCANNONBALLZ View Post
    Thanks, i guess.. So what about the p1645 code midas came up with??? Does that relate to the alternator, i came across something saying solenoid, but im not sure where it is located, and if it is related to the alternator, should i just get a newer and bigger one?
    -----------------------------
    So what about the p1645 code
    codes are meaningless without their definitions -
    and no one has the thousands of codes memorized -

but "P" codes would have nothing to do with the alternator -

SUPER LAC DEVILLE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Deville
    P1645 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.