2003 SLS coolant leak--possibly causing faulty codes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 2003 SLS coolant leak--possibly causing faulty codes? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, First time posting here--please forgive any apparent "noob"ness. I have an 03 SLS with a coolant leak (from passenger ...
    msnevathediva is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Seville SLS

2003 SLS coolant leak--possibly causing faulty codes?

Hi,

First time posting here--please forgive any apparent "noob"ness. I have an 03 SLS with a coolant leak (from passenger side inlet tank on radiator--just got my replacement rad today and will be swapping out this weekend). I'm wondering if it's possible the leaking coolant could be shorting something out electrically under the hood, because I keep getting a bunch of (what I feel are) faulty codes on my DIC. The other day, it was "Check Gas Cap." Went away a day later. Today, it's "Service Stability System," and the brake, abs, and traction control light stay illuminated while driving. This same warning also popped up a couple of weeks ago, before I even noticed the coolant leak. Luckily, it, too, went away about a day later. Anyone have any insight as to what could be causing these codes? If it helps, she has about 88k miles on her, and from what I know, she has been well maintained by the previous owner (my boss' mother, who's about 70 years old and would take the car to the dealership for EVERYTHING). Also, I just replaced the passenger side CV axle about two weeks ago--not sure if that has any relation to what's going on, but I'll throw it out there for good measure.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Too cool for a signature. Actually, I blame my ignorance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Re: 2003 SLS coolant leak--possibly causing faulty codes?

Quote Originally Posted by msnevathediva View Post
    ....I'm wondering if it's possible the leaking coolant could be shorting something out electrically under the hood, because I keep getting a bunch of (what I feel are) faulty codes on my DIC. The other day, it was "Check Gas Cap." Went away a day later. Today, it's "Service Stability System,"
    You are not seeing 'codes', you are seeing messages. However real codes (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are the reason you are seeing the messages and your vehicle has the ability to display those codes.

Here's how to display the codes (scroll down the page to find your vehicle). Report the codes here and then we can go through the dance of whatever else might be required of you for us to help you.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

C1214 and C1248, both current (there were also a bunch of old "history" codes--let me know if you want those, too). Same codes I got when this message appeared a couple of weeks ago. After hours of freaking out and toying with the idea of just pulling the 'chute cord and cutting my losses the first time, the message disappeared. And yet here we are again.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by msnevathediva View Post
    C1214 and C1248, both current....
    C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open
    C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On

These two codes are related; C1214 is the reason for C1248.

C1214 can be set by a nasty dirty/rusty/corroded chassis ground. IF that is the issue, the fix is easy for someone willing to R&R a radiator. After the radiator is replaced.

....After hours of freaking out and toying with the idea of just pulling the 'chute cord and cutting my losses the first time, the message disappeared. And yet here we are again.
    Don't pull the cord over those two codes. At least not yet. Let us know when the radiator issue is resolved; locating and addressing the possible C1214 problem is easy enough but requires some typing.

Thanks JimD, will do. I'll post back once we've dropped the new rad in this weekend.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

"Check Gas Cap" is due to a leak in the EVAP system (view A & B). A loose gas cap is the most common cause, thus the message.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...PartSortBy=Key

Thanks Ranger! What's odd is that the gas cap was nice and tight, and the message went away the next day. Just like the Service Stability System message did in the past. And again this morning. I know there are other possible causes to a Gas Cap message (like an ACTUAL leak in the EVAP system), but I just find the timing to be so coincidental with the leaking coolant issue that I'm forced to ponder whether or not some of these messages are being caused by the coolant leak. I could be totally wrong here, though.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    C1214 - System Relay Contact or Coil Circuit Open
    C1248 - EBCM Turned the Red Brake Warning Indicator On

These two codes are related; C1214 is the reason for C1248.

C1214 can be set by a nasty dirty/rusty/corroded chassis ground. IF that is the issue, the fix is easy for someone willing to R&R a radiator. After the radiator is replaced.

Don't pull the cord over those two codes. At least not yet. Let us know when the radiator issue is resolved; locating and addressing the possible C1214 problem is easy enough but requires some typing.
    Just a quick update: the message disappeared (AGAIN) this morning when I went to start my car. No illuminated ABS, brake or traction control lights. Is this typical? Should the message and accompanying lamps appear every time I start her if there really is an issue with the stability system? Can't WAIT to get my new rad dropped in--fingers crossed a lot of these headaches are residual to the obvious issue.

There is no electronics on the passengers side right under the radiator side tank that I can think of so I kind of doubt that it is a result of the coolant leak, assuming of coarse that it is just a slow drip and not a spray.

Ignore the gas cap message and see it if returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    There is no electronics on the passengers side right under the radiator side tank that I can think of so I kind of doubt that it is a result of the coolant leak, assuming of coarse that it is just a slow drip and not a spray.
    Thanks, Ranger. FYI: it's a spray. Looks like it's spraying all up on the passenger's side (under the hood) and then, of course, slowly dripping from the underside of the hood and/or parts to the ground and/or chassis. Horrible, I know, but I *promise* I'm putting a new radiator in tomorrow!

I guess in that case, anything is possible.

Ok, so we replaced the radiator, and the coolant leak issue is resolved; however, while up underneath her, we noticed some minor seepage/leakage coming from what looked like the transmission pan, so we figured we would replace the gasket and drain and refill the ATF. Easy enough--until we pulled out the driveway and lost about 1/2 quart in 3-5 seconds. Caved in and took it to a buddy's transmission shop, where he said we have a bad tranny axle seal--and it will cost us about $350 to fix (yay!). The bad part is, we're still getting intermittent C1214 and C1248 codes, along with some Check Air Bag messages thrown in for good measure. It's odd, though, because I've watched the Service Stability System message pop up while in the midst of driving once, and another time it had appeared upon start-up, but disappeared AS SOON as my husband slammed the trunk closed. So I guess my theory of faulty codes being thrown by coolant spray under the hood is no longer valid; however, maybe there's an electrical short or something? I feel like it's just one thing after another with this car--very discouraging.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.