1995 Eldorado warning lights/message/voltage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1995 Eldorado warning lights/message/voltage in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 95 eldorado etc has decreasing battery voltage, initial 13.8 after warm up drops to 13.4 at red lights in Drive ...
    roachetim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 eldorado etc 03 CTS

1995 Eldorado warning lights/message/voltage

95 eldorado etc has decreasing battery voltage, initial 13.8 after warm up drops to 13.4 at red lights in Drive with brake peddle depressed will drop to 11.9 and increase when I start to move. Asked question on fixya.com, they had me disconnect abs to see if battery volts halds steady ( it did not ) but now Anti-lock brake light is on and traction control disabled indicated, ( abs was reconnected ) How do I reset these ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: warning lights / message

Quote Originally Posted by roachetim View Post
    95 eldorado etc has decreasing battery voltage, initial 13.8 after warm up drops to 13.4 at red lights in Drive with brake peddle depressed will drop to 11.9 and increase when I start to move. Asked question on fixya.com, they had me disconnect abs to see if battery volts halds steady ( it did not ) but now Anti-lock brake light is on and traction control disabled indicated, ( abs was reconnected ) How do I reset these ?
    ---------------------------
    initial 13.8 after warm up drops to 13.4
    at red lights in Drive with brake peddle depressed will drop to 11.9
    and increase when I start to move

either your idle is set too low -
    should be 650 - in gear - with AC on -
    OR the alternator is failing -

Asked question on fixya.com,
    they had me disconnect abs
    to see if battery volts halds steady ( it did not )

can't imagine WHY they would suggest that -

because the ABS was unplugged -
    there are probably fault codes now set -

you will need to clear the codes - HOPEFULLY -
    that will take care of the problems -
    -------------------

to check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
    if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
    ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

roachetim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 eldorado etc 03 CTS

Re: warning lights / message

Got all warning lights to reset, was still seeing battery voltage drop, as described previously, so I replaced alternator. Problem continues. Battery is only 9 months old and shows 12.8 via dc volt test. battery volts on dash reading, upon new alternator 14.1start, but during drive dropped to 13.4 and decreases at stop lights.

el_dorado_mex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
    Same here, alternator tested ok (at az), battery ok.
    Figured two things: first that the regulator wires (the plug at the alternator) are quite thin and prone to screw up output voltage, I learnt that after having somebody rip them off accidentally (voltage went up to 18V at that moment) and to have to re wire. What I experienced was that depending on how careful I did the connection, voltage would improve or get worse...
    And second that in my car the voltage shown on the dash is actually 0.5V below battery voltage, so I stopped worrying about it, since battery is charging ok anyways. Actually I did think that a new alternator would take care of that, but seems to not be the case, good to know though...

Roofy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 1995 Eldorado warning lights/message/voltage

The 96 Eldorado has traction control light on and abs light on. The AC turns off for engine protection and the heat turns on and off intermittently. Shift indicator on dash flashes when applying brake. I cleaned the key and attempted to clean the ignition switch the best I could to see if that is a problem. After pulling the battery cable to have it reset, the ac starts to work but soon the dash gear indicator light flashes and the the you hear the compressor turn off and the message comes across indicating it shut off the ac to protect the engine. The car starts without issue even though the theft protection warning comes on saying that it may not restart. I have driven it and it performs fine but if I hit the brake the gear indicator will start flashing and it feels like power is draining. I had the battery and the alternator checked by Advance Auto and that checked out good. No codes were coming up on their check either. But a list of codes do show up when checking the system on the dash. Oh yes the lights on the climate control system come on and off too intermittently.

All of this started a few days ago and I have tried all the suggestions except the chip on the key.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

I'd suggest starting your own thread (or a mod can move your post to a new thread for you). List all of the codes you pulled, AND THEIR DEFINITIONS.

Roofy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 1995 Eldorado warning lights/message/voltage

Thank you I will do that just trying to get started in here.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.