Removing 98 Eldorado Steering Wheel
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, Removing 98 Eldorado Steering Wheel in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just got a hold of a steering wheel with the wood grain on it for my 98 Eldo. I ...
    jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

Removing 98 Eldorado Steering Wheel

I just got a hold of a steering wheel with the wood grain on it for my 98 Eldo.
    I found the link below to remove the airbag and wheel.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...m/t-89403.html

Is there anything else I need to consider or watch for?
    Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

Re: Removing 98 Eldorado Steering Wheel

The instructions you found are for '98+ Seville, generally the same idea but not quite the same.

No 1. Disconnect the battery and wait MINIMUM 15 minutes.
    No 2. On the back of the steering wheel (the face towards the dash) locate 4 deep holes.
    No 3. Turn the steering wheel if needed so you have full access to these holes.
    No 4. Using a ~T20 (I am not sure of the size but is in this range) insert in each hole and loosen the screws. I would recommend loosen at first pass then unscrew completely at second pass.
    No 5. Gently pull the center part of the steering (Airbag/Horn) just enough to reach behind and disconnect the wires (is orange cable and 2 wires, one is a squeeze and release clip and the other is a 1/4 turn and release. During this time DO NOT stay in front of the steering wheel, stay away from it (on a side). You are dealing with an explosive device, if that blows it will brake your neck (seriously). Wear cotton to avoid static electricity. Do not alow the airbag to hang on the wires.
    No 6. Place the airbag face side UP on a flat surface away from where you work or have tools. Airbag should be always transported with the face UP and way from your body.
    No 7. Now you can disconnect the steering wheel controls (there are 4 T? screws and a cable.
    No 8. Using a 22 mm socket (may be 24 mm not sure) take out the nut.
    No 9. Using a steering wheel puller remove the steering wheel. What ever you do, do not bang on the steering shaft or the steering wheel.

Reverse steps to put back the steering wheel.
    Last thing once all is mounted is connecting the battery.

All the time while you are handling the air bag thing what would happen if it blows and consider the position you are holding it.

Bob Ross is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Eldorado

I'm about to attempt this over the weekend. My steering wheel's finish is wearing off, so I found a used one on ebay that is in decent shape. I also got the puller tool.

I've got a pretty good grip on what to do, but my one worry is the airbag (with the exploding and neck breaking and all of that).

How stable are those things?

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    D/c the battery and don't connect it to a power and ground and your fine. Honestly it's one of those things you have to be incrediby stupid or try to set it off to do so.

One additional question:

The orange airbag cable / plug. Is there some special method to unplug it or does it come off easily? For instance, I know some plugs on the car have weird extra clips that one has to pry open with a screwdriver before the plug will come out, and so on. I saw a pic of the plug somewhere on here and it looked like it might be one of those.

Last thing I want to do is be wrestling with that while holding a dangling airbag unit from the side.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    It's yellow. The orange wiring in the column is for vats.

Removal is simple remove lock depress tab and unplug. No real level of difficulty.

N*,

Thanks for clarifying the steps for my Eldo.
    Regarding step 5, is it better to be sitting on the passenger side or standing outside the car when disconnecting the wires and removing the airbag? Just wondering where the easiest place is to reach the wires and still be standing clear of the bag.

For pulling the wheel, the link I found says you should use a hook type puller. If that's correct, is there a certain place on the wheel you should position the hooks without damaging it?

I picked up some Sem dye (Shale color) to touch up the new wheel's leather and was going to also spray the horn/airbag assembly so it would match. Given the potential of triggering it, I may skip it and just do the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by jammgm View Post

For pulling the wheel, the link I found says you should use a hook type puller. If that's correct, is there a certain place on the wheel you should position the hooks without damaging it?
    I think it depends on the wheel.

The replacement wheel I have has two bolt holes for the puller bolts to screw into, as depicted by the two dark gray holes at the 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions around the center hub hole in the following pic:

I assume the puller legs would be used for a wheel like the following, to be placed in the two white holes in roughly the same positions as the grey holes mentioned above.

My wheel is the first one so it sounds like I need the bolt type puller.

I got this puller:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N37EFS/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

It comes with both the bolts and the legs. Everything I was reading said I needed the legs, but when I got the replacement wheel (which was off a 97 Deville), it obviously took the bolts. But it's also not the one that needs to be pulled out. Won't know for sure what my current wheel needs until I get the airbag off, but I can't imagine why it would be any different.

I checked mine as in the top picture you provided and found two bolt holes so I'm going to get the bolt type puller.
    If you could let me know how yours goes, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

This is the kind of puller required:

But a cheaper one (like in the link above) will work just fine.

Although the steering wheel pictured is very different in the end is the same principle. Screw the 2 long bolts in the 2 holes around the shaft (most puller come with 2 or 3 pairs long bolts, one will fit in your steering wheel. Then turn the center bolt slowly, at some point you hear a knock and is loose.
    Don't worry about how to position the steering wheel back on the shaft, is splined and has one key, it only goes in 1 position, impossible to mount it off center. Pretty much is idiot proof.

Thanks N*

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I'm about to attempt this over the weekend. My steering wheel's finish is wearing off, so I found a used one on ebay that is in decent shape. I also got the puller tool.

I've got a pretty good grip on what to do, but my one worry is the airbag (with the exploding and neck breaking and all of that).

How stable are those things?
    Bob, how did you make out replacing the wheel?
    Thanks,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jammgm View Post
    Bob, how did you make out replacing the wheel?
    Thanks,

Jim
    It went ok. The new wheel is installed.

I did have an issue in that I broke the plastic piece that holds the horn wire in place, as described in the following thread, so be extra careful with that when you do yours.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ring-help.html

I also had some typical random, expletive-worthy crap happen to me that invariably occurs whenever I work on cars. This time I dropped a necessary torx bit into a gap underneath the steering column. Luckily I was able to retrieve it by removing an interior body panel. But at least the airbag didn't blow up in my face which is a good thing.

Doing the replacement again would be cake, knowing what I know now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.