99 SLS Changing front hubs - slight problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 99 SLS Changing front hubs - slight problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; First off let me say hello and I have been reading this forum since I bought my caddy. It is ...
    NinetyNineSLS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 SLS

99 SLS Changing front hubs - slight problem

First off let me say hello and I have been reading this forum since I bought my caddy. It is a wealth of information and let me thank everyone for all the good stuff on here.
    So here's the deal...
    I bought this beautiful car last fall with 53,000 miles on it. One owner, etc, etc. Anyways I took it on a trip to Cleveland a couple weeks ago and it performed amazingly well for a 14 year old car. According to the DIC she averaged 25 mpg and I was not shy about the speed limit out on the interstate. Well on the way home I started hearing a growl coming from the front end. Figured it was wheel bearings so I bought a pair of Timken hubs and yesterday I went to work on to trying to get the old ones off. Well the driver side went okay with a few minutes of hammering on the hub it came off. Passenger side is a different story. I have it out of the knuckle but it refuses to let go of the axle. I have hammered it till I got blisters on my hands and then went and rented a puller, still won't come off. Now I have a car up on jackstands in front of my garage with no front wheels on it and I'm a little bit disappointed in myself but not ready to call it crisis mode yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich F.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: First post - 99 SLS Changing front hubs - slight problem

Among other advice from those who have had the same problem, I'll recommend a few shots of PB Blaster in the splines. Let it sit for a half hour or longer.

Be careful - you may destroy the transmission output shaft bearings/seals with too much hammering - then you're in real trouble.

You're not alone - both my front hubs went - one at 17,000 and the other at 26,000 miles - warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Among other advice from those who have had the same problem, I'll recommend a few shots of PB Blaster in the splines. Let it sit for a half hour or longer.

Be careful - you may destroy the transmission output shaft bearings/seals with too much hammering - then you're in real trouble.

You're not alone - both my front hubs went - one at 17,000 and the other at 26,000 miles - warranty.
    Thanks, I have been using pb blaster on everything I took apart but without the little red straw that used to come with all cans of spray lube. So this morning I swiped a straw from a can of something else on the shelf and shot it in there real good awhile ago, now I'll let it sit.
    I think my trouble started when I decided to have a "victory beer" then another 4 or 5 victory beers after I got the hub out of the drivers side without too much trouble. I should've quit while I still felt good about it!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

If you have pulled the hub partly off I assume the the splined axle shaft has moved in the hub. That would rule out the axle shaft frozen in the hub. I suspect more likely the problem is corrosion between the iron hub and the aluminum knuckle. That's where you need to be beating. I have had great luck using a pneumatic chisel. If you do not have that capability, try beating the hub out of the knuckle as opposed to pounding the axle shaft in (if I made myself clear).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

If you have pulled the hub partly off I assume the the splined axle shaft has moved in the hub. That would rule out the axle shaft frozen in the hub. I suspect more likely the problem is corrosion between the iron hub and the aluminum knuckle. That's where you need to be beating. I have had great luck using a pneumatic chisel. If you do not have that capability, try beating the hub out of the knuckle as opposed to pounding the axle shaft in (if I made myself clear).
    Crystal clear and thanks. However the hub is completely out of the knuckle. It is stuck on the axle shaft, totally free of the knuckle.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    What kind of hammer are you using? If it's intended for nails, your wasting time and effort.

Also, is the hub still against the knuckle? If it's away from it slightly, a lot of the hammer blow is wasted pushing everything backwards, instead of pushing the axel shaft out of the hub.

Re: 99 SLS Changing front hubs - slight problem

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    What kind of hammer are you using? If it's intended for nails, your wasting time and effort.

Also, is the hub still against the knuckle? If it's away from it slightly, a lot of the hammer blow is wasted pushing everything backwards, instead of pushing the axel shaft out of the hub.
    Yes the hammer I am using is a claw hammer. I forgot to bring my BFH home from work. The hub is out of the knuckle. My friend who is an unemployed mechanic on nights and weekends suggested to put the hub back into the knuckle with at least two bolts and hit the the end of the spindle with a BFH against a ball peen. Btw he was supposed to help me do this but never showed up.

So I will probably go ahead and put the hub back into the knuckle and bring home my big hammer from work in the morning.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    So axle splines are stuck in bearing? I borrowed a really nice flanged axle puller from a pro. Has 3 jaws that attach to lugs and you torque down on the center threaded shaft and force the axle out. I saw same tool online and it had 5 jaws. You can add more jaws and use it on a 6 bolt hub or even 8. Around $500 though. You turn man bolt and beat on it with hammer. Beat, turn, beat, turn.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by NinetyNineSLS View Post
    Crystal clear and thanks. However the hub is completely out of the knuckle. It is stuck on the axle shaft, totally free of the knuckle.
    Ahh, OK, been there, done that. Have an assistant hold the flat end of a ball peen hammer on the end of the axle to protect it. This will protect his/her hands as they are holding the handle and won't get hit if you miss. Get rid of the claw hammer. You need heavy artillery (a mallet or sledge). One or two good solid whacks with the BFH is all it should take.

I'm going to try and finish this deal during the weekend. If someone could post the torque specs for the following parts it would be greatly appreciated.

Hub bolts
    Spindle nut
    Caliper bracket bolts
    Caliper pins

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by NinetyNineSLS View Post
    I'm going to try and finish this deal during the weekend. If someone could post the torque specs for the following parts it would be greatly appreciated.

Hub bolts
    95 lb ft

Spindle nut
    107 lb ft
    The Service Manual calls that the "wheel drive shaft nut".
    You will need the caliper bracket and caliper in place so you can place a drift punch or something through the center of the caliper to prevent the brake disc from rotating. Transmission in neutral.
    Caliper bracket bolts
    137 lb ft
    Caliper pins
    63 lb ft

Note:
    Caliper bracket and caliper pin values are for the front only.

JimD thank-you man. You are a superhero!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Ahh, OK, been there, done that. Have an assistant hold the flat end of a ball peen hammer on the end of the axle to protect it. This will protect his/her hands as they are holding the handle and won't get hit if you miss. Get rid of the claw hammer. You need heavy artillery (a mallet or sledge). One or two good solid whacks with the BFH is all it should take.
    I'm happy to report that this is what worked. My buddy stopped in yesterday to help out. I held the one hammer against the spindle while he swung the other hammer about ten times and she finally came apart.

Well dudes, this is just about a done deal. Installed the passenger side new hub a few minutes ago, drivers side I did Sunday. Waiting on brake hardware kit to get here from Rock Auto and this will be a wrap.
    Thanks to everyone who advised me here. You guys rock.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

The pneumatic chisel helped me and my friends tremendously when I replaced the hubs on my Deville a few weekends ago. The first side took about an hour and the second side maybe 45 minutes. Luckily my friends dad is a Snap-On dealer so he has an assortment of all the tools needed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.