STS 2001 engine stopped while driving but was able to restart
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, STS 2001 engine stopped while driving but was able to restart in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; STS 2001 engine stopped while driving at low speed. Was able to restart the car. Any idea what to check. ...
    john19999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997

STS 2001 engine stopped while driving but was able to restart

STS 2001 engine stopped while driving at low speed. Was able to restart the car. Any idea what to check. The engine codes are:

DDM U 01301 History
    DDM U 00173 History
    DDM U 0175 Hisstiry

Also what do these codes mean? I could not find frin the codes list.

Thanks
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: STS 2001 engine stopped while driving but was able to restart

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm
    DTC U1301 Class 2 Short to Battery
    Could not find the other two.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by john19999 View Post
    STS 2001 engine stopped while driving at low speed. Was able to restart the car. Any idea what to check. The engine codes are:

DDM U 01301 History
    DDM U 00173 History
    DDM U 0175 Hisstiry
    Engine (powertrain) codes will have a "P" prefix letter.
    The codes you listed have a "U" prefix letter which is a network code.
    And the DDM tells you the Drivers Door Module (DDM) set those codes.

Your engine stalling sounds very much like failing crankshaft position sensors; a common issue with your year model engine.
    Eventually the crankshaft position sensor issue will set a "P" code in the range of P0336 to P0389.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Have your CKP sensors ever been changed or are they original. Like Jim said, if it's a 2000-2003, sooner or later they will fail. Symptoms are just what you experienced. Sometimes it will be at idle while at a light. Other times it may be a longer than usual crank time.

I am not sure if crank position sensor was ever changed. I owned this car about 28 months ago at 84K miles and have driven about 25K miles. I did not change the Crank case position sensor. A week ago I was driving back from Canada and gas low fuel message came on when gas was quite low. I am thinking that it may not have impacted the fuel pump.

Today again I got issue. When car was parked after driving about 5 miles, car did not start. Then waited for a few minutes and tried again and it started. Once car started, checked codes:

DDM U 01301 History
    DDM U 00173 History
    DDM U 0175 Hisstiry
    IRC U1016 History

Should I just change the crank position sensors. I think there are 2 sensors. Or should I change fuel pump. Any idea how to check if my fuel pump is still good.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Being an '01, I'd change the CKP sensors. Worked for me. Yes there are two. You can get them for around $75 with free shipping on Amazon.

The way to check the fuel pump is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the service port on the fuel rail and check the fuel pressure. Should be around 40-45 psi.

It turned out to be fuel issue. I added Chevron fuel cleaner and drove a few hundred miles. No issues. Car is smooth and there are no more any codes. It seems that when my car got low gas indication about 3 weeks ago, some dirt might have got in the fuel pump or so. Next I am trying to change fuel filter. I tried to open but got scared that I may not bend the fuel pipe. I am thinking to put some WD40 on the nut before attempting to open. Any idea if I should put WD40 or penetrating oil on the old fuel filter nut to ease it for opening?
    Thanks
    John

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Give the connector nut and pipe a shot of PB Blaster and let it sit for a while.

For the 2001 (?) I'll bet the fuel filter is NOT the problem. Do the recommended fuel pressure tests. "Rent" the test gauge from any large parts store. Attach it to the fuel rail test port (under the engine cover, left rear corner of the rail - a black cap on a Schrader valve). With Key: ON the pressure should jump to ~40 psi and stay pretty close to that for a few minutes. After START - at idle - pressure should be 41 - 47 psi and steady. A jumpy gauge indicates one or more sticky or sluggish injectors. Overall low pressure is either the Fuel Pressure Regulator (the domed thingy in the right rear corner of the fuel rail) or the fuel pump/filter(s)....... primary filter on the pump module, secondary on the frame rail under the driver's side rear door.

If you had a clogged fuel filter TECHRON would not clean it out - and if it could, where would the "dirt" go ???

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    If you cannot change fuel filter than pay a shop to do it.

Thank you al for your feedback. I was able to open and change fuel filter. I used penetrating oil. It worked. I have not yet checked fuel pressure but will check. Now my car is working perfectly. I think the fuel cleaner that I added to the gas worked. Drove about 400 miles with no code or engine stopping problem. Also there are no codes. Next time if engine stops, I will keep crank shaft sensor and fuel pressure in mind. Thanks again.

John

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.