VATS problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, VATS problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok I just bought a 92 seville. Needed to replace the column so I swapped my ignition lock cylinder over ...
    milwaukee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1992 Cadillac Seville

VATS problem

Ok I just bought a 92 seville. Needed to replace the column so I swapped my ignition lock cylinder over with the wire to the new column. Put the column back in and doesn't crank but started fine before I swapped columns. So I tested key resistance and I got .883 k ohms then I tested 32 way wiring harness which was giving me .883 k ohms. So I'm asking why doesn't it start? If battery voltage is too low will it cause vats to act weird? Or could it be that the theft deterrent module is bad? Plz help me guys. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: VATS problem

1. Low battery voltage can wake up the electrical gremlins and cause all sorts of electrical problems.

2. Pull the DTC's. Post them AND their definitions.

The IPC is telling me "switch problem " battery is not an issue I know for sure it is the VATS system. My electrical tests are telling me everything is fine. Does the bcm need to relearn the key value? Also does anyone know where the bcm is located or if there is a way to bypass the whole vats system. (The resistor pack method will not work in this case)

I believe the BCM is behind the glove box or in that general vicinity. I don't recall it needing to relearn the key value. It should never be changed. The resistor method is the only way to bypass it that I know of.

Ok so know the security light turns off with key on. I got a prnd123 switch failure and a eeprom code. Just to let you know I swapped out IPC before this stuff happened. The car will not start so I think I have the column mounted switch in the wrong position? Can you help me out?

The column mounted (starter) switch is simply a slide switch connected from the key tumbler to the switch via a linkage rod. That has nothing to do with VATS. Is that disconnected? If that was disconnected you'd have nothing, no crank, no ignition, no lights, nothing.

Ok so the starter switch on the column. If it is in the wrong position it won't start? Would you happen to know what position is the right one? It looks like there is four possible positions.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It doesn't have a "correct" position. It moves when you turn the key. The 4 positions corrospond to key positions. Accessory, off, run, and start.

Ok I'm getting power to accessories with key in run but the starter won't turn over. The IPC has code I 027 which is the park neutral position switch. How do I check to see if it is working correctly? Also could the starter relay be bad?

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    If the car doesn't know it's in park/neutral it will not start so I would say that error with neutral safe switch is prob your issue, wirig or switch anyways

Yes I know I was wondering do you know the procedure to test it?

Wiggle the shifter while trying to start the car or run it through the gears while trying to start. Just be sure to have you foot planted firmly on the brake just in case.

Ok I will try that . If I jump the yellow and purple wire from the park neutral position switch the starter should engage correct?

Ok I finally got it the ignition switch was in wrong position so when the rod moved the car thought it was in run and not in start. Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.