1997 SLS still overheating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, 1997 SLS still overheating in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi this is my first post to forum. I have owned this car for less than a year and recently ...
    ramblerusa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Sevile SLS

Unhappy 1997 SLS still overheating

Hi this is my first post to forum. I have owned this car for less than a year and recently experienced overheating problems. I took the car to a local cadillac dealer known for great service. The first was a loss of coolant due to a loose heater hose and a crack in the overflow tank. Both were replaced as well as a new radiater overflow tank cap. The car ran good for another couple of weeks until I was driving on the highway and the engine temp gauge went into the red. It was now leaking through the waterpump housing. I had the gaskets and the waterpump and the thermostat replaced. After a few days, the temp gauge spiked up again into the red (I then had the radiater temp sensor replaced). The caddy mechanic checked a couple of times for head gasket failure, but he said none was detected. Also, the fans were checked, and both are operating correctly.

I drove the car again, but temp gauge still goes into the red, when I drive with the AC on. I f I don't use the AC the temp gauge never moves past the middle. I finally had a new radiater put in yesterday (the radiater shop mechanic said it was partially stopped up). Finally, I drove the car for 30 minutes today on a hot summer day with the AC on, and the temp sensor went up quite a bit again heading for the red. I stopped the car before it overheated, but I am frustrated at a lack of a solution. The car just turned 110xxx miles. Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS still overheating

Quote Originally Posted by ramblerusa View Post
    Hi this is my first post to forum. I have owned this car for less than a year and recently experienced overheating problems. I took the car to a local cadillac dealer known for great service. The first was a loss of coolant due to a loose heater hose and a crack in the overflow tank. Both were replaced as well as a new radiater overflow tank cap. The car ran good for another couple of weeks until I was driving on the highway and the engine temp gauge went into the red. It was now leaking through the waterpump housing. I had the gaskets and the waterpump and the thermostat replaced. After a few days, the temp gauge spiked up again into the red (I then had the radiater temp sensor replaced). The caddy mechanic checked a couple of times for head gasket failure, but he said none was detected. Also, the fans were checked, and both are operating correctly.

I drove the car again, but temp gauge still goes into the red, when I drive with the AC on. I f I don't use the AC the temp gauge never moves past the middle. I finally had a new radiater put in yesterday (the radiater shop mechanic said it was partially stopped up). Finally, I drove the car for 30 minutes today on a hot summer day with the AC on, and the temp sensor went up quite a bit again heading for the red. I stopped the car before it overheated, but I am frustrated at a lack of a solution. The car just turned 110xxx miles. Please help!
    ------------------------
    check the PURGE LINE -

the PURGE LINE is the only way of expelling air from the Northstar cooling system -

it is a 3/8 diameter hose that goes from a hollow bolt in the thermostat/waterpump housing area of the engine - and plugs onto a nipple on the side of the SERGE TANK -

with the engine running - there should be a gentle - constant flow of coolant - from the engine - to the serge tank -

if there is no flow - the most likely cause is a blockage in the hollow bolt -

follow the hose towards the engine - with the engine OFF - remove the hose - use a straightened metal coat hanger - or something similar - and poke it into the hollow bolt -

the coat hanger should go in about 2 1/2 inches -

once the hollow bolt is cleared - you can briefly start the engine to verify coolant flow - be sure to use some sort of container to catch the coolant so you don't make a mess -

check the hose and serge tank for blockage -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Have you checked the purge line? If you don't know what I'm talking about, do a search for it. It's very easy and has been discussed and explained a thousand times.

EDIT:
    Oops! Bass beat me to it. Make that 1001 times.
    basscatt likes this.

Just spoke to cadillac tech-already purged....he has a purge kit he uses

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

still need to check the purge line

if the purge line is clogged then there will become air pockets in the coolant and you will get overheating
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Just talked to my mechanic, and he said he used his kit with air compressor to suck all air our of system-could this just be an early symptom of head gasket failure...

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by ramblerusa View Post
    Just talked to my mechanic, and he said he used his kit with air compressor to suck all air our of system-could this just be an early symptom of head gasket failure...

*smacks forehead*

Get a new mechanic..

What we're saying is the purge line itself might need to be unclogged ergo it might have debris, preventing the coolant system from purging itself. The red arrow in this picture, remove the hose on the other end it goes to, stick it in the surge tank, start the engine to see if coolant comes out, if not, go back to the red arrow location, remove that end of the hose, stick a wire coat hanger in the hollow bolt opening and unclog it.
    Attached Images

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 1997 SLS still overheating

Please check the purge line and the metal bolt/nipple for blockage and forget what the "mechanic" and dealer say .............

This has been discussed and beaten to death in these forums a thousand times - there are easily found references to purge line checks and cleaning scattered throughout the forums on the FWD Northstar cars. If your "mechanic" is primarily a Ford man, ask him if he understands the "degas" system - so named by Ford.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

Every part has been replaced by mechanic. It sounds like owner has no mechanical skill. I got nothing against any owner who prefers to pay someone to work on their car. But, buying a 97 caddy and going that route wil be expensive. I am not sure if owner really can remove purge line to check it.

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The purge line is that 3/8 hose going into the surge tank on the top front corner.
    When disconnecting it be careful not to brake the nipple on the surge tank (no side-to-side movements, just turn and pull slowly out).
    Place a clean jug cut in half over the battery and leave the loose end of the hose over the jug.
    Start the car and let it idle observe the flow out of this hose in the jug. It should be a steady low pressure flow no bubbles no spitting.
    Be sure to stop the engine before you overflow the jug.

If there is no flow or not steady then you need to clean up the purge line. Follow it from the surge tank going underneath the engine beauty cover (and becoming a solid steel line) then coming out from under the beauty cover on the left side and becoming again a rubber hose and connecting in the throttle body/WP area.
    If this line is clogged will cause you ALL the issues you experienced.

Note the picture from above if for a '00+ engine, yours will not be exactly the same (but the main idea is the same).
    If you are not confident on your abilities to tackle this task (perfectly understandable, I know nothing about ... say health stuff), print this thread and bring it to your mechanic.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

"The purge line is that 3/8 hose going into the surge tank on the top front corner." - N*Caddy
    Attached Images

N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The OP he may get confused with pictures from a Cadillac with a slightly different layout than his.
    Here is what I found on Internet (exact layout as on the OP's car):

Here is a temporary solution to view what’s flowing in there

OK ready to see if purge line is flowing....Is the system supposed to be under pressure? I.E. is the radiator cap supposed to be on or is it ok if it's off?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

With the engine cold, remove the surge tank cap. Carefully disconnect the purge line from the surge tank nipple - have an assistant start the car in normal P fast idle, you hold the end of the purge line in the open surge tank filler neck. The purge line should spit, then settle down to a clean even flow - not a river - smooth flow.

Thanks for the info-so the system is not under pressure when conducting this test? (If the engine is cold and the overflow pressurized cap is off)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.