Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems

32K views 255 replies 23 participants last post by  stoveguyy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey, everyone. First off, I'm glad this forum exists, and I'm very salty I didn't think to check here 3 days ago prior to buying an Eldorado.....off of craigslist.. Anyway!

I am absolutely new to cars, I don't really know much about how to fix them, or where to look for problems, or what situations to not get into after a quick look over, which all leaded me to finding a 95 Eldorado on Craigslist, it all seemed to run well on the parking lot test drive (first mistake), and so I got it instantly, not really checking out other cars first (second mistake).

After 20 minutes on the freeway, and noticing I passed my exit, I decided to cruise for a little bit, I pulled off and hit a backstreet to see what kind of MPG I am dealing with. I was pretty satisfied... Up until my nephew started freaking out and stated, "Uhm. There is something leaking into the car..." and almost as if on queue to those words, the car started steaming out of the vent, almost seemed like it had to be smoke as well.

I pulled off into a gas station, and tried calling the person for some information, but lets just say-- this individual is completely useless and is not wanting to talk so I can't really ask him for a refund, I guess I'm too easy going.

SO after 30 minutes of trying to figure out what I am going to do, because I am asking everyone at this gas station for help because I don't know what I am doing, I decide to take it to the nearest "mechanic", which was told to me that it is just down the road, so I head off in that direction and find an entire line of... Auto Body Repair Shops...

One guy finally takes a look at it, and tells me what the heating (core? cord?) was broken and that was the issue as to why it was spewing coolant into the car on the passenger side. I asked him what I can do about that and he said it would be $300 and 8 Hours of work, to which my jaw dropped. I asked if there was an alternative and he said they could "bypass" it. I asked what that would solve and he said it would stop spewing for sure, and I asked if it would stop overheating, he said definitely, they also replaced a clamp type item that connected the vacuum hose of the engine to another part of the engine, which previously had a hole in it. The car fired up and sounded great, I paid the man and took off down the road. That's when I am now experiencing low acceleration power, and I am like.... Huh ?

I end up going back to this guy about 5 times, he reassured me that after a good sit overnight the car would be absolutely fine and not to worry about anything, the overheating message, beeping and low acceleration are all because it hasn't sat long enough after the bypass. I tell him I feel like it might have been the plug he replaced, so he took it off and said it was ok to drive with it off. (third mistake? fourth?) At about the fifth time he told me my catalytic converter was bad, and I kept hearing it was "Cadillac Converter" "Catallic Converter", so none of what he was saying made sense, and I thought this would be the last thing I needed to make sure the car was good to go, so I asked him where I get that situated, and he directed me to a muffler shop. It was about 8 minutes away. I set up an appointment and got it replaced the next day.

(somewhere inbetween all this I picked up some oil and put more oil in the car, I randomly got power back but it kept dying out at random times)

After it got replaced, I thought all of my issues were going to be solved, so I took off down the road, happy as can be. I had power again! Now, I was happy with the v8 engine in this beast, I just roared it a couple 50-100 feet. Then the power dies out again, and I just get livid. I whip around to the shop and by this point, I'm not even mad I am just disappointed in my lack of car knowledge, and I tell him that it didn't work, we get another guy involved and discover that the car is indeed overheating. We let it all cool down, run some water in it and watch to see where it is going, and after about two minutes it just starts essentially throwing the water upwards. We let it cool down once more for about 30 minutes, the water was incredibly low afterwards, and he filled it up, told me to drive it to the house and not drive it anymore until I can figure out whats wrong with it.

At this point I had gotten in contact with the guy and he states he will bring his mechanic to the car to check it out, and replace whatever it is that is broken and get it back on the road. Just kidding. No show.

So the car is sitting here, and I realize that my neighbor has the same exact car, maybe a couple years newer, and very nice rims. I talk to him about what could be the issue, learned more about (after the mechanics and I had a long talk about why nobody likes to work on cadi engines - aluminum) how they warp when overheated and its all downhill from there.

So, I come to this forum looking for anyone who can just help me out here. I am willing to invest the time into fixing it. But I want to know what I should look for to see if it is too late to even want to try, what do you guys feel the issue might be?

I came to a realization last night that if maybe the heating (core? cord?) is replaced and the bypass was ... enabled again, that should clear up any issues, especially since the car hadn't overheated prior to the bypass. That and because the Catalytic Converter (which apparently you're supposed to be able to see all the way through, was meeeeeeesssed up) was replaced.

What do you guys think? I'm sure there are guides all over to find out how to do this, but I'd like to take it from some knowledgeable people on a realistic scale.

Thank you so much.
Rich

See less See more
#166 ·
Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Ok, I gotta jump in! Where ever we got the bug about cars, and at what age we became diseased with it, really doesn't matter to me. We have it and we are here because of it. I learned about cars when I was about 8 or 9 by building model cars, you know the 1:24 scale type. I knew what a radiator lokked like and where it was in a car, as well as most other parts. I began working on them as soon as I got my first car at age 16. which was puchased with my own hard earned money. It wasn't a Caddy, but my Dad had one. I have been through Mercedes, (which I still have an affliction to and will own another someday), several imports and GM and Ford, as well as a Custom 57 F100, which I wish I still had! It took me until I was 39 and a couple of wives before I got my 96 SLS. I now have added a 99 Eldo so the fleet!
I bought Chiton manuals for most of the vehichles for which I owned. I read and learned what I needed to know. I learned from other's as well, from hands on experience. I have rebuilt entire engines and cars from learning, be that books or now the internet. We all need to realize that RKeating is a couple of generations behind some of us, maybe more or less for other members. He is learning a way he thinks is best for him. I'll gladly help when I can and post pics as needed. I live and work seeing everything as a puzzle. There are a number of parts and pieces, and there is an order to assembling them or disassembling them, to be successful and feel like a winner in your own mind, when you do it correctly. Having some help along the way is great, but imagine you doing it all by yourself, by researching it on this website and figuring it out. Then you jump in feeling equipped with the knowledge you have learned, and WalLah, u did it! and never asked for help! I tiled my kitchen floor one day and my Dad dropped by, he had know idea I was doing this job. He said to me,"Where'd you learn to do that?", I said I read about it thought I could put the puzzle together! As I finished he told me, it looked graet and yes You did!
I think the previous owner suspected a HG problem, bought some sealant pellets and dropped them in the purge/overflow tank. They settled into the purge line and have since clogged it. I think I would remove both ends and spray a cleaner into the hose from the top and let gravity work for you. The cleaner could be waterbased or petroleum based. Consider that break cleaners would be my first thought , but also understand that brake cleaner will probably dry out any rubber hoses or fittings. with extensive exposure. Anyways, I support you and really do appreciate what and why we have this site for.To those who post here, I am thankful.
Ever watch a movie called "Pay It Forward." If you haven't please do, those who are here, DO JUST THAT!
I bou

#167 ·

Ok, I gotta jump in! Where ever we got the bug about cars, and at what age we became diseased with it, really doesn't matter to me. We have it and we are here because of it. I learned about cars when I was about 8 or 9 by building model cars, you know the 1:24 scale type. I knew what a radiator lokked like and where it was in a car, as well as most other parts. I began working on them as soon as I got my first car at age 16. which was puchased with my own hard earned money. It wasn't a Caddy, but my Dad had one. I have been through Mercedes, (which I still have an affliction to and will own another someday), several imports and GM and Ford, as well as a Custom 57 F100, which I wish I still had! It took me until I was 39 and a couple of wives before I got my 96 SLS. I now have added a 99 Eldo so the fleet!
I bought Chiton manuals for most of the vehichles for which I owned. I read and learned what I needed to know. I learned from other's as well, from hands on experience. I have rebuilt entire engines and cars from learning, be that books or now the internet. We all need to realize that RKeating is a couple of generations behind some of us, maybe more or less for other members. He is learning a way he thinks is best for him. I'll gladly help when I can and post pics as needed. I live and work seeing everything as a puzzle. There are a number of parts and pieces, and there is an order to assembling them or disassembling them, to be successful and feel like a winner in your own mind, when you do it correctly. Having some help along the way is great, but imagine you doing it all by yourself, by researching it on this website and figuring it out. Then you jump in feeling equipped with the knowledge you have learned, and WalLah, u did it! and never asked for help! I tiled my kitchen floor one day and my Dad dropped by, he had know idea I was doing this job. He said to me,"Where'd you learn to do that?", I said I read about it thought I could put the puzzle together! As I finished he told me, it looked graet and yes You did!
I think the previous owner suspected a HG problem, bought some sealant pellets and dropped them in the purge/overflow tank. They settled into the purge line and have since clogged it. I think I would remove both ends and spray a cleaner into the hose from the top and let gravity work for you. The cleaner could be waterbased or petroleum based. Consider that break cleaners would be my first thought , but also understand that brake cleaner will probably dry out any rubber hoses or fittings. with extensive exposure. Anyways, I support you and really do appreciate what and why we have this site for.To those who post here, I am thankful.
Ever watch a movie called "Pay It Forward." If you haven't please do, those who are here, DO JUST THAT!
I bou
First I'd like to comment on the Pay it Forward reference. I like to pay it forward wherever I go.

Anyway, thank you for your support. I try to keep a level head, and when you do, eventually a real genuine person pops out of the woodworks. That does sound like an amazing way to learn how to fix cars, now I know for when I have kids someday. Ha. I have a 10 year old nephew who's all about gaming and I can't for the life of me get him interested in cars. That's why I want to fix this Eldo so badly and roar down the street with him. I think it's very important to learn this and trying to gauge his interest is damn near impossible.

I am having it taken to a shop tomorrow, I feel like these guys are good people, and I'm just going to be very frank about what I need done, ie unclogging of a certain two areas / the entire system. I'm honestly just hoping that works. I don't see any good news coming out of this car if it doesn't.

You're a great dude, dude.

#170 ·

----------------------------------
dou1t2 - GREAT SPEECH -

but have you actually read this entire NOVEL - all 165 posts?

some people just are NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINED -
I truly believe it's a case of -
"either ya got it - or you don't" - and he DON'T -
and there is nothing wrong with that -

do you remember Roseanne Barr "singing" the national anthem?
NO? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YVhcLD2c

she DON'T got it either - and NOTHING will EVER change that -
---------------

I am not a quitter - and don't walk away from a challenge -
BUT - there comes a time when REALITY sets in -
and you just have to say - "it's just not meant to be" -

a "know when to hold 'um - and when to fold 'um" moment -

after 165 posts to clear a PURGE LINE -
and drain and fill a radiator -
and it STILL isn't done -

HE is throwing in the towel - "HE knew when to fold 'um"

#178 ·

after 165 posts to clear a PURGE LINE -
and drain and fill a radiator -
and it STILL isn't done -

HE is throwing in the towel - "HE knew when to fold 'um"
Well for the most part, I didn't have tools for the first 4-5 pages of this thread. When I got tools and got the hose off I cleared that a long time ago.
I drained AND filled the radiator. It's just every step I take, I discover 5 or 6 more things that need to be done, and I get frustrated not knowing all of the things I need to, and that book hasn't arrived yet, and I still don't have all the tools I need to power through everything.

#176 ·

Looks like a change of heart took place here! :yup:

Anyway, I took in my car to get it estimated of how much it would take to flush out my system and refill it.
It turns out clogging isn't the main issue and there were about 4 things pointed out to me.

(PS: Basscat, I'm not throwin' in the towel! Just trying to get some pro help and visual references and now that i have that:::)

1) He said it isn't so much a clog, rather than my water pump HAS to be destroyed:
1a) The water belt tensioner is trashed, I saw this for myself and it definitely did NOT look good.
2) He feels it's a water pump issue. Which I don't doubt one bit.
3) I need to replace the tensioner, belt and all that jazz. (It moves, but it isn't like... well. He said its the 'pulley' and it was just a giant melted metal clunk of shit that you could see clearly and touch)
4) I am sure it is clogged, but these issues need to be handled now.

There are a lot of things I now need to make a list of (the correct water pump part, the tool to remove it, potentially some new hoses, I have to replace one of the doodads that go from the top of the radiator to the holder above the top radiator hose).

@Mositcabbage, when the car cools down I will check for clogging there, but there are serious issues with teh water pump, which Is why I think nothing is coming out of the hollowbolt, nor being able to blow inside of it.

he wasn't very familiar with Cadillac's purge system, so when I asked him how much it would cost to unclog that area, he said he recommends a system flush, which would take a couple hours to make sure everything is flowing to each part correctly, $140. After he noticed all of the other things that were wrong, he said he could do it all for $564 (parts & labor), to which I rapidly declined and drove the car home.

I am going to wait for it to cool off, then disassemble everything down to the water pump (I saw the post on how to change it, also a ton of videos on youtube, very easy to follow, I need a breaker bar and a couple longer extentions to my wrench). But for the most part, its looking like instead of giving the shop $564, I am going to either fix it myself, or talk to my neighbor who has a cadi mechanic friend who does $1000 jobs for about $200-$250, apparently just a good guy mechanic.

For those who would offer their time to help if I happened to live closer, I greatly appreciate how genuine and helpful you all are, and have been throughout this thread.

But it's looking like, try to get it done myself (which at this point I am not worried about digging around in this car, I will be able to do it), wait for my stepfather / brothers to get here to team this shit out, or take it to my neighbor's mechanic after telling him everything that's wrong with it, that needs to be fixed, and getting an estimate before trying to drive it across the bay, or towign it across the bay.

#177 ·
The Northstar water pump is all steel, no plastic impeller to wear down or crack. Extremely unlikely that a weld has failed. If it's spinning, it's pumping.

A melted pulley is a whole other story. If either the water pump or tensioner pulley locks up, the plastic drive pulley WILL melt the drive belt and itself pretty quickly.

Did you see a melted pulley next to the front valve cover, above the water pump?

Out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in?

#181 ·

Update! (With Pictures)

Automotive exterior Steel Metal

Red Arrow / Wire Hanger is pointing to the pulley on the tensioner that is completely busted.
Blue arrow is pointing to the 'diddly doo' I referred to earlier, the bushing in the top section is half gone.

Auto part Vehicle Car

Red Arrow: I can feel slight vacuuming with the car running, doesn't seem like it would be very efficient, quite low.
Blue Arrow: Nothing is coming out of that hole with the car running, hose gone, I hanger'd both and the tube is clear.
PS: Sadly, I dropped the effing clip, it slid off the hose when I was twisting the other end off and it didn't land on the ground, and I can't see it. :banghead:

I think I am just going to take apart everything in picture 1 and see if I can't find the waterpump housing before I go out and get all the stuff to do the repairs myself.

Bonus Pic: My Neighbor's Eldorado
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Luxury vehicle

#183 ·

Update! (With Pictures)

View attachment 130089
Red Arrow / Wire Hanger is pointing to the pulley on the tensioner that is completely busted.
Blue arrow is pointing to the 'diddly doo' I referred to earlier, the bushing in the top section is half gone.

View attachment 130097
Red Arrow: I can feel slight vacuuming with the car running, doesn't seem like it would be very efficient, quite low.
Blue Arrow: Nothing is coming out of that hole with the car running, hose gone, I hanger'd both and the tube is clear.
PS: Sadly, I dropped the effing clip, it slid off the hose when I was twisting the other end off and it didn't land on the ground, and I can't see it. :banghead:

I think I am just going to take apart everything in picture 1 and see if I can't find the waterpump housing before I go out and get all the stuff to do the repairs myself.

Bonus Pic: My Neighbor's Eldorado
View attachment 130105
-----------------------------------------
I think I am just going to take apart everything in picture 1
and see if I can't find the waterpump housing
before I go out and get all the stuff to do the repairs myself.

DON'T DO IT -
you will NEVER get it back together - and running -

take to your neighbor's Cadi mechanic -

#185 ·

The belt tensioner does just what it's name implies. It keeps enough tension on the belt so it doesn't slip. If the tensioner bearing seizes, the belt stops spinning, the friction melts the plastic drive pulley on the intake cam shaft snout, the WP stops turning, thus no coolant flow, including from the purge line and the engine overheats.

You can get part numbers here.
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/default.aspx

#186 ·

The belt tensioner does just what it's name implies. It keeps enough tension on the belt so it doesn't slip. If the tensioner bearing seizes, the belt stops spinning, the friction melts the plastic drive pulley on the intake cam shaft snout, the WP stops turning, thus no coolant flow, including from the purge line and the engine overheats.

You can get part numbers here.
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/default.aspx
Most frustrating web layout. Haha. I am thinking this is whats happening, Ill have to start up the car and look at the belt tomorrow.

#192 ·

ok... first things first

fix the w/pump tensioner pulley ... either replace just the pulley or replace the whole tensioner assembly
the pulley can only be found aftermarket (gm does not sell the pulley separately from the tensioner) and it can be hard to find often as the aftermaket parts guys always want to sell you the water pump drive pulley not the water pump tensioner pulley

anyways

fix that first

then go back and see if the purge line has coolant flow to the reservoir

if not then follow that purge line back to the water pump area and check if it's blocked on that side (hollow bolt)

do this first

all other items can wait until this is fixed properly

and as a side note the water pump is good as long as it is not seized up or leaking

#193 ·

ok... first things first

fix the w/pump tensioner pulley ... either replace just the pulley or replace the whole tensioner assembly
the pulley can only be found aftermarket (gm does not sell the pulley separately from the tensioner) and it can be hard to find often as the aftermaket parts guys always want to sell you the water pump drive pulley not the water pump tensioner pulley

anyways

fix that first

then go back and see if the purge line has coolant flow to the reservoir

if not then follow that purge line back to the water pump area and check if it's blocked on that side (hollow bolt)

do this first

all other items can wait until this is fixed properly

and as a side note the water pump is good as long as it is not seized up or leaking
Thank you, good sir.
That's my plan. There is just so much going now I haven't had a chance to get to it. I am going to look into it further with details and pics to follow.
As for now I'm going to jump off this forum and do some house/yard work amongst other things.

Thank everyone again, this thread will be bumped in the future with pics and details.

#194 ·

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Since joining the forum about 2 years ago, everyone here has helped me fix many things with my 98 Eldo starting with the struts and shocks which has allowed me to keep the car, save some $$, and still enjoy it after 15 years.
Everyone is great with helping including the moderators who do a great job!

The best approach is to first search for what you're trying to fix (using key words) then post a question if you cant find anything.

Someone will always respond and help you find what you need.

Regards,

Jim

#196 ·

Can you post a pic of the WP tensioner that you have in your car? You have posted pics in the past, so I know you can do that part, but you have mentioned it was half there, or melted or something, but you say the belts is spinning. It must make a thumping sound or something when the belt spins around an out of round tensioner. things aren't really adding up to me right now..................................Thx

#198 · (Edited)

Let me go grab my tools, off the guard and take some pics.

Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle

Where the blue arrow is pointing, is where the debris from photo 2 was easily pushed off with the guard off.

Finger Hand Thumb Nail

This is what came off from the blue arrow in photo 1. It chipped off easily, and is definitely more plastic feeling than metal.

#200 · (Edited)

The debris is the melted (plastic) tensioner pulley ball bearing cage.

3-rib pulley can be replaced if the tensioner spring arm is good - NAPA or RockAuto (Car, year, model, engine, "belt drive"). If you need the whole tensioner assembly, talk to Chris at Rippy Cadillac parts.

PRAY that the main drive pulley - pressed TIGHTLY onto the intake cam extension - is good and true. That pulley takes special remove and install procedures.

#201 · (Edited by Moderator)

The debris is the melted (plastic) tensioner pulley ball bearing cage.

3-rib pulley can be replaced if the tensioner spring arm is good - NAPA or RockAuto (Car, year, model, engine, "belt drive"). If you need the whole tensioner assembly, talk to Chris at Rippy Cadillac parts.

PRAY that the main drive pulley - pressed TIGHTLY onto the intake cam extension - is good and true. That pulley takes special remove and install procedures.
Thank you. I will look into this and report back eventually.

#203 ·

ACDelco #38025 is the pulley-only part number

it crosses over to numerous other aftermarket brand numbers
if your local parts guys can't get that one then ask them to try and cross it to a brand that they can get or do have in stock
Thank you Chris.

#204 · (Edited by Moderator)

Very entertaining thread to read and def the longest i have ever seen. But as Ranger said, it comes down to either you "got it or don't" and seeing as me and the OP are the same age (22), I'm more mechanically-inclined as I've been through the same stuff with my 99sts..replaced engine, new waterpump, thermostat, etc. Hope everything works out RK but I think you paid too much for the car to begin with...

#205 ·

The tensioner pulley (or the tensioner itself) is bad and definitely needs to be replaced first. That will make your car overheat quickly if it fails.

The next most important thing is to do the block test. If the head gasket is bad, then anything else that you do to the car will be a waste of time and money.

#206 · (Edited by Moderator)

The tensioner pulley (or the tensioner itself) is bad and definitely needs to be replaced first. That will make your car overheat quickly if it fails.

The next most important thing is to do the block test. If the head gasket is bad, then anything else that you do to the car will be a waste of time and money.
Yea. I just wanted to get coolant flow back.

You're telling me the melted off pulley will make the car overheat if it's gone? That's interesting. I've been diggin' around compiling a list of everything that was wrong, discovered, and fixed on the car.

Honestly, I think I am going to do what the guy did to me. Post a CL ad "Oh yea, no mechanical errors whatsoever! Come get this awesome car so I can get it off my hands and not give any thoughts about you or whatever situation in life you're currently in. At least I got money!'

But yea, sigh. I should have gotten a block test when I got my battery charged, but I forgot and was on a timeline. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

I don't think it's a "you got it or you don't" kind of mentality when it comes to mechanic work or cars in general. I think life itself is a 'you got it or you don't'. You can learn anything if you want to learn it. You can do anything if you want to do it. It applies to everything, not just cars. It may take a bit longer starting from scratch but it's honestly not that hard. A little perspective, a lot of watching, and some hands on work, and I'm on my way. Too many unintelligent people walk around which gives little light to 'you got it or you don't' for whatever subject they seem to have entered. That's just not the way I look at it. It takes me some time when I do something from scratch, but I end up being incredible at it.

#208 ·

Yea. Since I don't know what a normal one looks like it is hard for me to piece together how it would affect the flow of coolant. And if that's not affecting it, what is. The coolant level is fine, but there is nothing coming out of any of the surge tank areas or purge line areas.

#210 ·

@98Cad

I've had small revivals of hope about the head gasket since starting this thread. It doesn't drive like there's a blown headgasket. Just no coolant flow. There's never been any white smoke coming out of the back, the oil doesn't look milky, I've looked at all the signs of one, and I don't fit the criteria, but you never know unless you know, yea?

#212 ·

@98Cad

I've had small revivals of hope about the head gasket since starting this thread. It doesn't drive like there's a blown headgasket. Just no coolant flow. There's never been any white smoke coming out of the back, the oil doesn't look milky, I've looked at all the signs of one, and I don't fit the criteria, but you never know unless you know, yea?
As posted above, that doesn't necessarily mean that the head gasket is not bad, but until you replace the tensioner or the tensioner pulley, it's too early to think about that (or anything else that might be broken). I'm not sure if the pulley is available off the shelf at a local auto parts store, but the entire tensioner should be.

#211 ·

Not trying to scare you or suggest that it is a HG, but just for the record, forget the steam ("smoke") from the pipes. You won't see that until the late stages when there is no longer any question and Northstars don't put coolant in the oil when a HG fails so that symptom is out as well.

#213 ·

just as a curiosity and as a side note i'd like to ask some of the more seasoned members in here what the symptoms of a bad N* HG would be if the bolts weren't pulling out (normal head gasket compromise)

misfire upon starting up until coolant soaked cylinder(s) 'clean out' any coolant pushed in while the engine cooling off after running right?
sweet white smoke out the tailpipes upon starting up for the same reason, right?
& no overheating... right?

anything else i missed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.