New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Cadillac Seville / Cadillac Eldorado Forum Discussion, New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage 220 is nothing to be concerned with, the fans don't even go to low speed until ...
    rkeating09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 Eldorado

Re: New to Cars in General, have a 95 Eldorado, plethora of problems, help?! D:

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    220 is nothing to be concerned with, the fans don't even go to low speed until 224 (and high at 236).

Running the engine at ~3,000 RPM for a minute or so might help purge the system quicker.
    Will do. Thank you again for your help.

Moistcabbage, Ranger and Basscat are amazing people.
    Im gonna definitely dedicate time to learning more about fixing the car and stick around to try and help as much as I can throughout the years.

So after an hour and a half of waiting, the engine was cooled down, coolant was sitting at 115. It says check my levels, I did, I added some in very slowly, started it up, and watched the temp rise to about 224-227 after a good minute of 3K RPM to purge.

I was excited to see it stopping at 227 and offered to go pick up my sister from the bart, I had 10 minutes to kill, so I hit a straight away and floored it to see what kind of power I am dealing with. (probably 4 seconds)

SHortly afterwards it jumped up to about 235-240.... then a couple minutes more of driving towards the bart (subway system), It hit 250..255...Hey... your coolant is hot as hell! Idle engine!

This is the rise I was worried about. I am thinking the hollow bolt purge line got clogged, again, maybe, somehow? And I will bleed it out through there in the morning when everything is super cooled off.

Edit:

The radiator hoses were super hot, and suuuuuuuuper puffy and hard to squeeze, which I didn't put much effort into squeezing something overheating..

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Not sure if its been suggested but has it been block tested?

How much does it cost, if any? Where should I go/do/have?

Thank you in advance!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    AutoZone has a block test kit through their loan a tool program. All you actually have to buy is the test liquid.

Easy to do yourself, preferably after an overheat. There are a couple of videos on youtube on how to do it, one good one by a member here.

AutoZone has a block test kit through their loan a tool program. All you actually have to buy is the test liquid.

Easy to do yourself, preferably after an overheat. There are a couple if videos on youtube on how to do it, one good one by a member here.
    Wow this test makes me really nervous.

Performing the test, or the possible result?

Ah man. What it is is my mix is way the **** off. Nooooooooooo doubt in my mind. I'm gonna have to start over.

According to: EETC orp, an Antifreeze Company

"Furthermore, more often than not the final engine coolant (antifreeze/water) mix is not within the recommended range, dramatically shortening engine and cooling system life."

I'm starting to think I should buy into this 50/50 Mix deal. Just get a couple jugs of that, drain the radiator out of the lower radiator pipe, this time if I can get the bottom one, that's where I'm aiming.

Is it possible to somehow safely drain out the car with that method while pushing some out via acceleration and I can go the 'high priced water' coolant mix level, at least then I'll know I won't be at a 20/80 or a 30/70.

Edit: By safely drain, I mean take it to empty empty empty.

Performing the test, or the possible result?
    The result.

The mix isn't THAT critical. Somewhere around 50/50 is fine.

You can't drain the entire system, at least not without removing the crossover manifold. There's no hose or drain low enough in the system to get all of the coolant out of the block. You need to add slightly more coolant than water, that's all.

The mix isn't THAT critical. Somewhere around 50/50 is fine.

You can't drain the entire system, at least not without removing the crossover manifold. There's no hose or drain low enough in the system to get all of the coolant out of the block. You need to add slightly more coolant than water, that's all.
    Exactly, somewhere around 50/50 is what I'd get with pre mix. I just simply don't trust myself to do a mix. I might have to take it somewhere for sure and see if I can't find out how it's done. I'm a visual learner.

I thought you had added straight water to the system?

If so, adding 50/50% to what's left in the block will end up being less than 50% coolant. Mix 3/4 of a gallon of distilled water to 1 gallon of full strength coolant to make up the difference.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

1) pull the rad drain plug, reseat it

2) Use this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=672816_0_0_

This isn't that difficult.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by rkeating09 View Post
    floored it to see what kind of power I am dealing with. (probably 4 seconds)

SHortly afterwards it jumped up to about 235-240.... then a couple minutes more of driving towards the bart (subway system), It hit 250..255...Hey... your coolant is hot as hell! Idle engine!

The radiator hoses were super hot, and suuuuuuuuper puffy and hard to squeeze
    This is NOT a good sign. Definitely do the block test after an overheat episode and do not top off the coolant before hand. Be prepared for bad news. This doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    This is NOT a good sign. Definitely do the block test after an overheat episode and do not top off the coolant before hand. Be prepared for bad news. This doesn't look good.
    I hate my life. :|

So, after this discovery, I am assuming that the hollowbolt is the culprit.

I undid the tube, cleared the hollowbolt and the hose (as best as I could on the hose).

Previous Purge line results:

Bubble formation for a while, turned into a stream.

This Purge line:

Nothing. Not even a little. (Leak? Blockage? Whats broken)

It is telling me once again to check my coolant level. Could I just not have enough in the system?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Low coolant message=add coolant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.